: Off-duty cop shoots man during carjack attempt

AZTOY

Police: Off-duty cop shoots man during carjack attempt

Alleged attacker is in critical; Officer placed on desk duty
December 1, 2002

By BEN SCHMITT
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

An off-duty Detroit police officer shot a man six times after an attempted carjacking Saturday on the city's east side, police said.

The alleged carjacker was in critical condition Saturday night at Detroit Receiving Hospital with gunshot wounds to the abdomen, police said.

The officer, who works in the vice section, told investigators he was at a stop sign at Irvington and East State Fair at 6 p.m. when a man knocked on the window of his Ford Explorer with a 9mm handgun, said Officer Thaxon Hill, a police spokesman.

The officer fired his department-issued gun through the vehicle's window and struck the alleged carjacker six times, Hill said. The officer held the suspect in custody until officers from the 11th (Gratiot) Precinct arrived.

Police also located the 9mm gun allegedly used to threaten the officer, according to Hill.

Hill was uncertain how long the officer, whose name was not released, has been on the job.

"His supervisor was at the scene and said he's a great officer," Hill said.

Hill said he is uncertain whether the shooting victim will survive.

Detroit Police will conduct internal and criminal investigations of the shooting, which is standard procedure. The officer will also be placed on desk duty, while the the shooting is under investigation.

The shooting comes two days after an off-duty Detroit Police officer was shot at Club Med on the city's east side. That officer is expected to make a full recovery.

The police department does not keep a tally of off-duty shootings, but a Free Press review of news articles indicates this is at least the fourth shooting involving off-duty Detroit officers this year.

On July 28, an off-duty officer shot and killed a man during an alleged robbery on Oakfield when four men allegedly approached his car and announced a holdup. On Aug 22., two off-duty Detroit officers shot and killed a man on I-94 during a shoot-out in Harper Woods. On Oct. 1, an off-duty Detroit police sergeant shot and killed a 37-year-old man outside of HB's Hide-A-Way Lounge on West Grand River.

The Detroit Police Department has a policy requiring off-duty officers to carry their weapons except when they are in church, on vacation or participating in sporting events.

Contact BEN SCHMITT at 313-222-6597 or schmitt@freepress.com.
http://www.freep.com/news/locway/shoot1_20021201.htm

twoblink

Choke up one more for the good guys!

Glad I'm reading about this and not a dead LEO who got car-jacked..

yorec

Six hits? Nice - wonder if there were any misses... Regardless, that should up the hit/miss ratio a bit.

Another good thing - notice he didn't treat the window of his car as if it were holy or something. Shot right through it - good tactics...

Wonder if he was a dept. firearms instructor? ;)

Glad he came out OK.

Blackhawk

Good for the good guy!

Wonder what "department issued" gun he used to shoot the perp 6 times and left him wasting air...?

jadams951

Man I wish we could read more articles like this not only involving off duty LEO's but honest, law abiding gun carrying citizens. Maybe it would give these ****s something to think about.

twoblink

jadams951,

they don't print many of these because it sends the wrong message to people (according to the liberal media) :barf:

All this demonstrates is that ANYBODY can be a victim of a car jacking, (including a LEO) and that a gun is about your only line of defense.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
"Shoot to STOP the agressor". What more can
you say? Too bad the perp didn't sucumb to his injury's!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

John DR

Man I wish we could read more articles like this not only involving off duty LEO's but honest, law abiding gun carrying citizens. Maybe it would give these ****s something to think about.

In the state of Michigan, if An honest citizen had done this, he would be in jail.

We seem to have different standards for cops and non cops when it comes to using A gun to save your ass.

Last edited:

TallPine

Yeah, I have no criticism (far otherwise) of the cop, but I have to believe that if a non-LEO defended him/herself in this manner, that the person would be in jail and the media would be howling about road rage and vigilantes carrying guns, not to mention the poor misunderstood "victim"

It's time to stop this double standard.

jadams951

Yeah, I have no criticism (far otherwise) of the cop, but I have to believe that if a non-LEO defended him/herself in this manner, that the person would be in jail and the media would be howling about road rage and vigilantes carrying guns, not to mention the poor misunderstood "victim"

Well, sucks to hear that some LEO's or District Attorney's offices would want to prosecute a VICTIM for self-defense. Not going to happen on my scene.

tc556guy

I bet his ears were ringing afterwards as well,even with auditory exclusion......shooting in that enclosed space cannot be good for ya.

Atc1man

Six hits?
Point blank range, probably...the guy was right outside the window... :D
This is what pisses me off about the anti's argument, though....this could have easily been Joe Citizen defending his/her self.....
:mad: