Off Center Primer Strikes with PT-111

Doug S

Ejected cartridges fired in my PT-111 have off center hits on the primers. I've read that this might be a problem. I've also recently noticed that along with the off center hit there is a little grove branching off from the primer dent. The gun has never failed to fire, but I am wondering if this is a flaw. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Joe Klug

Doug,

You might want to take the pistol and a couple of the fired cases to a 'smith and get a professional opinion. Sure sounds like it might be a problem though.

No offense, but it doesn't surprise me. The PT-111 I had was a POS and after I sent to Taurus to get it fixed I got rid of it in favor of a Kel-Tec. Others here swear by them so I'm guesing that maybe the one I had was just a lemon. Just the same, I'd be careful and get your's looked at just to be sure.

Joe/Ga

Bill Adair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug S:
Ejected cartridges fired in my PT-111 have off center hits on the primers. I've read that this might be a problem. I've also recently noticed that along with the off center hit there is a little grove branching off from the primer dent. The gun has never failed to fire, but I am wondering if this is a flaw. Any feedback would be appreciated.[/quote]

Doug,

My PT 111 also has an unusual primer strike! It helps identify my spent cases at the range, but I doubt that's what Taurus had in mind when they designed the pistol. :)

I have to agree with Joe Klug. Mine has yet to fail, but I think it's only a matter of time. His firing pin bushing failed, and no one I've spoke to, knows how to get the firing pin assembly out to check it for wear!

Taurus says they won't release the drawings because they don't want anyone to disassemble the pistol down to that level.

They also said I would never have a problem if I fired only standard velocity ammo, but if I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what Joe was using! :)

Bill

Doug S

Thanks for the info. I did keep a few of the fired cartridges. I will be taking them to be looked at in the near future. I would like to hear from other Millenium users about this. Are other users of this model experiencing this also?