Off center primer hits -- 1911-A1

Thirties

Here is a photo which, although blurred, clearly shows the off center primer hits.

OffCenter.jpg

Is this a problem; or should I live with it?

All rounds ignite just fine. It is a colt govt. model .45acp.

shepherddogs

I doubt that it's off center enough to cause a problem. I once had a S&W 1066 that was off enough that about every 4th shot with certain ammo it would fail to fire. Are you having misfires? What make gun is it? Never mind, I see it's a Colt.

koolminx

Wow that's new to me. but I don't own a 1911 yet. I'll stick around for the answer though in case I ever experience it.

Thirties

Also question about firing pin length

I'm not concerned in the least, but since my other two 1911s hit on the center, I was just curious.

On a similar subject, I wonder what is the standard length of the firing pin on the 1911-A1; or is there a range of lengths?

My pin on this gun is 2.270 inches long, and I have a spare kicking around that measures 2.294 inches.

drail

I have a Springfield that had a Wilson barrel fitted to it and it moved the pin strike farther off center than yours and it's never failed to ignite a primer in almost twenty years now. Nothing to worry about. Keep the springs fresh and shoot that puppy.

Tom2

That is what I was gonna say, if the slide itself is in spec and the firing pin hole is correctly located, then a variance could occur on how the barrel locks up in the slide, like maybe if the gun has been accurized, the barrel locks up a bit higher in the slide and moves the cartridge in relation to the slide. Or just production variations in the barrels. Of course, if there was a problem you would need to send it back for a new barrel or new slide and barrel combo that line up things better. I suppose being a bit off center might aggravate things a little if you suffered from light strikes.

RickB

Replacing the barrel, slide, or other parts, because the firing pin strike is off-center? If the gun functions, there's nothing wrong, so unlikely any manufacturer is going to consider it an issue.

Brian48

From the pic, I say the primer hits are perfectly fine. I've certainly seen worse and even in those cases, reliability was still 100%. Ignore it and just enjoy the gun.

JMBstudent

Thirties,
From the Rock Island Arsenal 1911 blueprints dated up to 1975,
part number 6008599, firing pin, the overall length is 2.296" -.006".

It is easy to check the alignment of the firing pin hole to a cartridge by inserting a primerless empty casing into battery with the firing pin removed.
Carefully look down the barrel of the pistol.
The firing pin hole is smaller than the primer hole in the brass.
Any error in alignment will be readily seen.

There is a gauge tool which fits into the chamber with a pin extending towards the firing pin hole to verify alignnment.

Pistol smiths have the option of plugging and relocating the firing pin port or moving the barrel up or down to correct the alignment.

As far as the impact upon the accuracy of a pistol with the mis-alignment shown with your casings, I could not say.

I'm confident it didn't leave the Colt factory like that.

I'd more likely believe the barrel was refit or replaced with no regard for the firing pin alignment.

Personally, I'd fix it or have it fixed.

Thirties

"I'm confident it didn't leave the Colt factory like that. I'd more likely believe the barrel was refit or replaced with no regard for the firing pin alignment."

JMB, yes, the frame is a Remington Rand, and the slide is a Colt. So the slide is a replacement somewhere down the line from new.