Of the following models, what is the most accurate .22 rifle?

Of the following, which is the most accurate .22 rifle

• Remington Model 597

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Ruger 10/22 (standard)

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Marlin Model 880SQ

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Marlin Model 81TS

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Marlin Model Golden 39A

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Winchester Model 9422 Traditional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry Golden Boy

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Thompson/Center 22 Classic

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Savage Arms Mark II

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • You recommend something else

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

Rebeldon

I'm looking to purchase a .22 rifle, but I want one that has great accuracy without paying big bucks. I've narrowed it down to several choices.

Have you seen the add for the Remington Model 597 on the back cover of the June issue of the American Rifleman? It said that the Remington Model 597 is "easily the most-accurate, most-advanced .22 ever built".

I'm interested, but can any of you fellers who happen to own or shot the Remington Model 597 back up the claims of this add?

Attachments

• remington model 597.jpg
    remington model 597.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,016

ENC

Of the ones on your list that I have fired (Remington, Ruger, Malin semi auto, Winchester, and Savage) the savage was the most accurate for me. My freind can shoot his Winchester 94/22 with amazing results. I think they are all pretty good choices.

coonan357

IMO guns are ike cars some ar manufactuered better than others of the same make and it depends mostly on how the end user is trained to use it , I have a 10/22 in stainless that can group real good and my buddys when I shoot it couldn't hit the inside wall of a barn point blank . but for the money I'd get a 10/22 you can always get different parts at a later date if you want .

BusGunner007

Remington 597.

ATTENTION:

Remington has produced a METAL replacement magazine for the 597!
I received two and will be testing them soon.
The plastic magazines were the major bug in the 597 system.
If you've had problems with your 597 rifle, get some metal mags and try them out.

James K

Member In Memoriam
All good rifles, but your "without paying big bucks" rather put a lid on real accuracy. The 597 I fired was very accurate, but I don't think it will shoot with an Anschutz 1700 or a Model 40XR.

Jim

IM4RMEF

Remington says the 597 is the most accurate in the world. So does Kimber. So does Anschutz. My money isn't on Remington!

The 597 may be a great rifle for the money. The 10/22s that I've played with varied widely in accuracy and were cursed with heavy triggers. My 10/22T is accurate but not 100% reliable. The 10/22s offer a multitude of aftermarket options to increase their performance. The Remington will not have as many options-maybe it doesn't need them?

The Remington ad stating "..most accurate .22 in existence" and "most-accurate, most advanced" etc was a joke. Can they really outperform my 10/22T? Maybe. My Anschutz 2013AL? Not likely.
I don't expect them to compete with $2500 .22s, but their claims in that ad destroyed their credibility IMHO. It would be a great ad if they showed unbiased data comparing favorably to Walthers, Kimbers, Anschutz's, etc. I guess I'll be a skeptic until then.

Maybe Remington forgot to ad the fine print "most accurate .22 in it's price range;)" Probably a nice rifle- but I get sooo tired of outrageous claim with no substantiation.

MatthewM

You didn't state WHY you want an accurate .22.
I bought custom 10/22's for all the cool parts you can buy.
For pure beauty in a factory rifle, I like the Browning "Take-Down", Grade VI.

I hit a duck at 200 yards after skipping it twice, 1/4" from it's eye with a Marlin Model 60. (My all time most cool shot).

For fun, I'd get a 10/22. Ditto for accuracy for normal shooting and all around use.

You can go to www.benchrest.com and check the rimfire section and post your question there. They also have a for sale area. There, you can get a used Rem 541x, Kimber, Anshutz.

benchrest.com is for competitors only.. The friendliest board I've visited though. -This is 2nd :)

Rebeldon

The reason I want an accurate .22 is for squirrel hunting. I have used a Marlin model 60 with good satisfaction. I like to place the bullet into the squirrels' ear hole. That seems to be the quickest way to kill them. If a squirrel struggles before it dies, it can negatively effect the flavor. I've been able to do this with the Marlin, but not with a Ruger 10/22. With the Ruger, I had a difficult time just hitting the squirrel. It ruined my reputation! I used to dump out a bag of squirrels with little holes through their skulls. With the 10/22, I was lucky to hit the body at 50 yards.

I thought I was graduating from the Marlin model 60 to a more accurate rifle, the 10/22 (so I was told), but I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong, the Ruger was a good, reliable rifle, but I need better accuracy. I sold the 10/22. Now I would like something that would rival the accuracy of the Marlin model 60. I understand that the Marlin 39A is very accurate, and I do have a thing for lever-actions. However, I'm interested in allowing my boys (7and 3) to shoot it too, and the 39A is sort of heavy for them. My father-in-law has and 39A and my seven-year-old can't handle it well. He could handle the 10/22 well, but it wasn't accurate enough for my squirrel hunting needs.

dZ

i have a Marlin Model 60 SS
its quite accurate
Unfortunantly semi auto are not allowed for hunting in PA...

IMHO the CZ 452 youth, bolt action would be a great rifle for the kids to learn on

The Savage "Stevens Favorite" would be another

Cornbread2

The overall best buy in a .22 rifle is the CZ-452.

No other rifle in its price range can even come close to it.

No other rifle in its price range has the sights or the trigger the CZ has.

They are the most accurate rifles in their price range and as good as some costing several hundred dollars.

I have only $180 in mine.

The trigger out of the box is better than some target rifles and it can be made even better with just 5 minutes work.

Tropical Z

I have the 597 and it is easily the most accurate .22lr i've ever shot.I was shocked at how accurate it is the first time i shot it at an indoor range.You wouldn't go wrong with a 597.:cool:

Zorro

Winchester M52D.

Only thing I have inherited from my Grandfather.

Dime size groups at 100 yards with Winchester Super-X 40 Grain solids. Never tried target ammo in it. It is my dedicated squirrel sniper.

This rifle will NEVER be sold by me. :D