Of Glocks and KB's.......

tjhands

This was posted on Glocktalk.com and I just wanted to run it by some non-Glockheads and see what they thought. For a long time I've heard that Glocks are more prone to KB's than other makes. Does what this guy says make sense? It makes sense to ME, but I'm not as knowledgable about this stuff as a lot of you folks. Thanks.

---------------------

The purpose of this thread isn't to be contentious relative to this frequently misunderstood subject, but rather to offer a little rational thought and a few facts. (Particularly for the newbies who might have been influenced by the Internet Ignorami)

First, whether a pistol, eg., Glock, has a supported or unsupported chamber is generally irrelevant to the subject of KB's. While an unsupported chamber might contribute to a case failure, a case failure does not constitute a KB.

So, what's a KB, then? Well, to me, a KB results in catastrophic failure of either a pistol's barrel or slide, or both. A case failure will probably result in a damaged mag, mag release, trigger assembly, maybe even a damaged frame. (or, in the case of 1911's, shattered grips)

In order for a case failure @ 6 o'clock to cause a KB, one would have to accept the premise that such a failure would cause dramatic increases in chamber pressure. Does anybody really believe that a RELEASE of pressure @ 6 o'clock will increase chamber pressure? Ever take h.s. physics? If not, or if you failed h.s. physics, then perhaps you should try writing for a gunrag or sponsoring a specious internet site.

Let's use an analogy for the purposes of demonstrating the silliness of blaming lack of case support for KB's. Ever fill up an air tank? Ever wonder what happens to a steam boiler or water heater when tank pressures exceed the tanks' pressure maximums? Well, if the tank has a pop-off valve or other method of releasing pressure, not much happens. With no such relief mechanism, a lot happens, catastrophically. Get the analogy with pistol chambers? If you don't, then, well, good luck with your life.

Photos of blown-up pistols on websites prove nothing, nor make any statements about the design features of that particular blown-up pistol. The picture might just reflect the statistical quality control anomaly of a factory round, or it might indicate an overcharged reload. The posting of a picture or anecdote on the internet doesn't give one any facts at all regarding KB's. (Even if the photos are of G21's blown up by police officers)

There are, I believe, over 2 million Glocks alive and well worldwide. If, as is claimed by the uninformed, Glock's design causes Glocks to randomly explode, then we'd certainly be hearing of more than just a few random cases of exploded Glocks on the internet. Nope, if design flaws were the problem, we'd be seeing tens of thousands of blown-up Glocks, government-demanded recalls, and not just the few "examples" that are posted here-and-there.

Now for my own anecdote. I've fired somewhere in the vicinity of 150,000 rounds of my reloads through my Glocks, mostly through G21's. Matt, of CGR, and others, have fired many times more of their reloads through their Glocks than I have through mine. I reload my .45ACP's until the necks split. I've never even had a 6 o'clock case failure, let alone a KB, using a factory Glock barrel.

I did experience a KB with my original G21 (see photo), using an aftermarket barrel, powder that was too fast, bullet that was too heavy, and a little of my own carelessness mixed in. Clearly had a feedramp bullet setback, with the expected KB. Please note that the case is split down its entire length. If this had been a 6 o'clock blowout, the case would only have failed @ 6 o'clock.

Glocks are among the safest pistols in use today. They are not subject to an abnormal risk of KB. If you overcharge, or, especially, doublecharge a round or use an overcharged or doublecharged factory round, your pistol, regardless of manufacturer, will probably KB.

It's as simple as that.

Handy

This person is a moron parading as a high school physics teacher.

His analogy to an air tank is especially obnoxious. A cartridge already has a relief valve - it's on the bullet end.

He starts out by making up his own definition of "kaBoom" and then defending it with his poor understanding of how guns work. The most accurate statement he makes is "While an unsupported chamber might contribute to a case failure", but the rest of the sentence is his opinion.

He doesn't address any of the factors that are particular to Glocks and possible (or likely) contributors, like out of battery firing, the tendency of the striker to pull the gun out of battery, relative pressures and case strengths, old recoil springs, feed properties and blunt bullets, etc.

Kabooms are, in all likelihood, the convergence of several small failures at the same time, causing a high pressure round's case to be exposed too early in the firing sequence. That both explains their relative rarity and unpredicatability.

Edward429451

I can't disagree with anything he said. Makes sense to me.

I especially liked the water heater / boiler analogy, being in plumbing & heating. I could add to that...Safety's need to be excercised to ensure proper function. In the case of boilers & WH's, the pop off needs to be tripped once a year to ensure its not frozen from inactivity and replaced if doesn't reseal. With guns this means don't be complacent and skip excercising the four rules, just because no one's around or you think you're very safe. As Heinlein said, 'Blowups Happen'.

Remember all the catastropic failures with 38 specials and 3.5g Bullseye? Hercules (or maybe Winchester, can't remember) tried to recreate the failures and couldn't do it. Their published conclusion was that reloaders had to be accidently doublecharging the rounds.

I think its the same thing with Glocks. Maybe the Glocks have less margin for error, being plastic and an unsupported chamber. I've ran thousands of lead rounds through my G21 and never KB'd it. But I take loading seriously and walk away if tired, clean it well, shoot the jacketed first (have since abandoned lead for Glocks), and don't hesitate to pull down questionable rounds. You know, use my head.

jonathon

I think the entire Glock KB issue has been blown WAY out proportion. It's a rare occurance, and the vast majority of the time happens when using poor quality ammo OR the weapon is poorly maintained.

Don't much care for that guys explanation, but yeah.

JohnKSa

Administrator
A Case head failure/out-of battery ignition shouldn't cause a catastrophic failure unless there is something else causing excessive pressure.

It will blow out the mag and possibly cause minor damage to the gun, but it's not going to split the barrel and destroy the gun.

If there's not enough pressure in the cartridge to split the barrel in the first place, you're not going to add MORE pressure by venting gases out the unsupported portion of the case.

Last edited:

shield20

Hmmm...Trying to redfine Kb!?

Sounds like he is trying to redifne what a KB! is:

""
So, what's a KB, then? Well, to me, a KB results in catastrophic failure of either a pistol's barrel or slide, or both. A case failure will probably result in a damaged mag, mag release, trigger assembly, maybe even a damaged frame. (or, in the case of 1911's, shattered grips)]

""

BUT, by definition...

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html#kB!

What is a kB!?
Coined by firearms journalist Dean Speir, kB! is shorthand for "kaBOOM!," which is the written representation of what happens when one has a catastrophic explosive event in one's Glock.

What causes a kB!?
Catastrophic failures may be caused by a variety of problems, but in general a kB! is as a result of a case failure. The case failure occurs when pressure inside the cartridge increases to the point that it cannot be contained by the case and the material of the case fails, allowing hot gases to escape from the ruptured case web at damagingly high velocities. The resulting uncontained forces can blow the magazine out of the gun, destroy the locking block, cause the tip of the trigger to be snipped off, ruin the trigger bar, rupture the barrel, peel the forward edge of the slide at the ejection port up, and do other nasty things.

Zekewolf

Regardless of the dispute about the semantics of what a KB is, a case failure can not rupture the barrel or cause slide damage. I guess that's just what the maroon Kool-Aid drinker was trying to say. :) The trigger bar damage, etc., sounds reasonable. though.

shield20

Yep - what is interesting, if you go to the KB! FAQ - a barrel failure is barely mentioned, and only in regrads to a metalurgy problem...

" Additionally, there is some evidence of there being another cause of a kB!... a barrel failure caused by improper metallurgy."

JohnKSa

Administrator
Recipe for no kB!s

No .40 S&W
Never rechamber aluminum cased ammo
Good quality ammo only
No unjacketed bullets in Glocks or Berettas
No reloads in Glocks
Don't push the performance envelope with reloads
Keep barrels clean and fully unobstructed
Don't lubricate chambers
Don't let recoil springs get weak.

shield20

Hey John - what's the deal with berettas? (re: unjacketed ammo)

Do you think .40 is "extra" suspect in other platforms too?

JohnKSa

Administrator
My 92G Beretta manual says only jacketed ammo.

The design of the .40 S&W cartridge makes it more sensitive to setback, particularly with the heavy bullet loads, than other common calibers. Also, I feel that a lot of manufacturers simply rechambered their 9mm offerings in .40. That reduced the design margins and I think that's part of why there tend to be a lot of problems seen in guns of that caliber.

edited to add: I am NOT saying that every .40 cal gun is doomed to blow up or that every .40 cal shooter is going to have a kB! sooner or later. I'm just saying that I believe that .40 S&W has a bit more tendency to be problematic in this respect than other calibers. We have to remember that on these forums we're seeing thousand's of shooter's inputs. You can draw some conclusions about tendencies, as regards !kBs, but it's virtually impossible to do much more than that.

Last edited:

SIGLOCKAUR

I've seen 6-7 Kabooms at my range. It's not just Glocks. All were .40's. All but two were from reloaded ammunition. Two or three were Glocks. A couple of Sig 229's. A Kahr MK40. A couple I just witnessed and didn't get close enough to see what type of gun.
One of them was my own G27 with Remington factory ammo. I don't know how many rounds my 27 had through it. Lots though. No reloads, no lead. The MK40 was also with brandname fresh ammo. The whole lower of my G27 was destroyed. One of the pins on the locking block held or I might have ate the gun. Took it to a local gunsmith who said he had never seen one go like that.
Glock rebuilt the gun for me free of charge.
I sold it and every .40 I had except for two customised all metal guns I love. One guy actually blew his 229 up twice with his reloads. Almost all were 180 gr. loads. One of the guys had loaded a 200 gr. 10mm bullet in his gun. I can tell you one thing from experience.
Of the guns that did blow the metal guns faired much better. The metal guns all blew their grips off, blew the extractor off, and shot the mag out the bottom. All were easily fixed with new grips and extractors. The other Glock I saw go was a G22. The guy was burned and injured by polymer pieces from the gun.
Don't trust .40's anymore. YMMV.

Haycreek

Glock kabooms

Really simple, after several 40 S&W handguns, I sold them and replaced them with one Glock 37 [yes, the 45 GAP] The 37 is a handloader's dream, accurate with any level of load, low pressure, small frame, and it is a 45! :)

stephen426

I wish people were honest bout their Kabooms...

How many kabooms have been caused by uses error such as overcharged rounds? How many kabooms have been caused by obstructed barrels? I'm willing to bet that the KB rate for Glocks firing safe ammo (no over charged rounds, no lead) is very low. I'd also bet that most of us would rather be holding a steel framed pistol if a Kaboom were to happen. My point is if you like to push the envelope with your reloading, do so in a steel framed pistol. If you are looking for a great carry gun that is highly reliable, Glocks fit the bill rather nicely.

Handy

That's the funny part, Stephan. There have been a number of reports by police agencies of kaBooms using factory ammo.

stephen426

Handy,

Please kindly post links to the site showing a this statistical tracking of kabooms. Please exclude less reputable sites that are based solely on ignorance and hear say. I wonder of such a sigh exists. It would be interesting to see kabooms for all guns made and for each caliber as well. That way we can see if it is the .40 S&W's fault or Glocks.

I have seen pictures of kaboomed guns from various manufacturers. It would also be great to know the reasons for the kabooms like either user error or true manufacturing defect.