Oddball Model 10?

I just acquired a S&W Model 10-5. I didn't think much of the dash when I took it in. It's easily 95%, with only the faintest hint of a turn-line on the cylinder. It does not appear to have been fired outside the factory, as there was almost no reside on the cylinder face. Bluing is otherwise perfect. Grips are originals, in decent shape.

Checking the S&W Catalog, it appears this model was only made in 1962. (The 10-4 was also made in 1962, and the 10-6 was introduced the same year) It's got a pinned, tapered barrel. Serial # is C220xxx. No agency markings of any sort, and in all three places the logo appears, it has the lazy "&" in "S&W."

I grabbed it because my collection's missing a fixed-sight K-Frame. I fully plan on keeping and shooting it, but I think it's neat that it may be somewhat rare (for such a ubiquitous gun).

Just wondering if anyone knows how many were manufactured, and if I'm correct in guessing they were only produced for a brief time.

carguychris

I think you misinterpreted the SCSW. The M10-5 (tapered barrel) and M10-6 (heavy barrel) were both made simultaneously from 1962 to 1976. The difference between the two is the barrel configuration. I hate to rain on your parade, but the M10-5 is one of the most abundant S&Ws on the used market.

The M10-4 with the 1/10" front sight (rather than the 1/8" front sight) is actually the uncommon one. S&W primarily marketed the M10-5 while offering the M10-4 on a special-order basis to law-enforcement agencies that wanted the earlier-style narrow front sight.

Don P

model 10 info

S&W Info
Model 10
-1 1959 Heavy Barrel
-2 1961 Changed extractor rod thread to LH on standard barrel
-3 1961 Same as above, for heavy barrel
-4 1962 Screw in front of trigger eliminated
-5 1962 1/10" to 1/8" front sight, on standard barrel
-5 1962 Screw in front of trigger guard eliminated on
heavy barrel model
-7 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
-8 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
on heavy barrel
here is the site where the above info came from
http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp

I hate to rain on your parade, but the M10-5 is one of the most abundant S&Ws on the used market.
Not at all. I got a minty K-Frame for $150. I ain't cryin' :)

If anything, I feel less apprehensive about shooting it now.

Great deal on the Model 10-5. To me, they have the best balance of any revolver.
mod_10_target_sm.jpg

First six rounds fired. It's no New Century, but like I said, I'm not cryin' ;)