Odd Question about recoil?

itgoesboom

This may sound a little odd, but i was reading in another thread about .32s and .380s and someone mentioned how the .380s recoilded more sharply than other pistols. I had heard this before, and i understand why, well sort of.

I have thought about purchasing, when finaces allow it, a Springfield Ultra Compact Fits my hand like a glove, and looks like it will conceal like a dream. But i have heard some people complain about the recoil since it is such a small handgun. So i am somewhat concerned that the recoil might be too much for me to be real accurate with.

I have been using my Bersa .380 for the last few months, and don't have much to compare it to, recoil wise. While i own a .357 mag, its currently in the evidence locker at the FBI (it was stolen, and then recovered by the FBI), and i can't really remember how much recoil it had. I did get to fire a full size 1911 for a couple rounds a few months back, and i didn't notice much, if any difference in recoil between that and my little Bersa.

So heres my question;

How does the recoil out of a compact .380 compare to other pistols, such as the Glock 23, Springfield UC, XD40, ect?

Thanks again.

I.G.B.

Keith Rogan

.380 recoil is "snappy" for two reasons. One is of course that they are small guns, but the other (and more important) reason is that they are blow-back pistols. If you doubt that, shoot a Colt Mustang (with a locked breech system) some time. The Mustang is among the lightest .380's, yet has little more "felt" recoil than a .22!

So, to answer your question - if you don't have any problem with shooting your Bersa, I doubt you'd find a locked breech 9mm, .40 or even .45 much of a problem. They do have more recoil (physics sucks!), but that recoil is spread out over a longer time and hence usually no more uncomfortable than the "snap" of a blow-back pistol.

I will give you the same advice I always give in these situations. Don't buy any style of gun you haven't shot! Either find a friend with the type of gun you are considering or go to a range that rents different weapons and try them out. The worst time to find out that acertain gun doesn't "fit" you is after you've plunked down a pile of money. You won't know till you shoot it.

BigG

The only thing I've found about most small automatics is they cut your hands up as the slide goes back over your thumb. The recoil is not that bad but the notches cut in your skin make it unpleasant.

DMK

I was very surprised when I got my little 32ACP CZ-70. It's much more snappy than even my CZ-40. It also cut my hand pretty good when firing it in extended sessions (more than 200 or so rounds).

I smoothed the sharp edges and Gunkoted it. It's much more comfortable to shoot now.

The snappy recoil is actually kind of enjoyable once I made it comfortable. I think it's due to the light weight and the fact that you can't get a full grip around the gun like you can with a full size.

I think if the gun has sharp edges and is uncomfortable to hold, you probably won't enjoy shooting it. If it's ergonomic and fits good, you probably will. The recoil by itself isn't a problem at all.

itgoesboom

Thanks for the help guys. I never had any problems with the recoil of my .357 mag blackhawk, but i was also never all that accurate (except for the first shot i ever fired).

I was just really surpised the one day that i got to shoot the full size 1911, i was expecting it to have significantly more recoil. And like i said, i notice any real difference.

I.G.B.