Odd little revolver... "What is it!?"

Sixer

Picture352.jpg

Picture353.jpg

This belongs to my Grandfather... suprisingly I saw it for the first time this weekend. I can't seem to find any markings on it, but I have yet to remove the grips.

Can anyone identify this little guy for me? Make, caliber, date, etc.???
Thanks!

aarondhgraham

Whatever it is,,,

It's cute as all get out,,,

I want one.

I wonder if those grips are real ivory?

Aarond

P.S. I hope it turns out to be reeeeeally valuable.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It may be Belgian, but it was more likely German or at least made for sale in Germany where safeties were required. Neither that gun nor the one in the link are true "Velo Dog" revolvers since the cylinders are not long enough to the Velo Dog cartridge, which looks liike a .22 WMR. Those guns were the European equivalent of our cheap double action pocket revolvers, and date from the same era, roughly 1880-1914 (the start of WWI). Today in the US they are mainly curiosities, though there is a mild collector interest if in top condition. The grips are probably genuine ivory, common and cheap at the time it was made, now scarce due to both scarcity of elephants and laws protecting them from ivory hunters.

I would value that gun at $200, but it could go for more. Caliber could be one of several, but .25 ACP or .32 ACP would be my first thought. I know those are auto pistol cartridges, but both were quite common in those little guns.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
Yes, that one is DAO. The trigger folds up and forward for carrying. The safety blocks the hammer.

Jim

Sixer

I had a chance to take the grips off and I'm 99.9% sure they are real ivory. The cylinder is still tight and the appears to be in good functioning condition. No pitting that I can see in the bore or cylinder. It's a 5 shot revolver and appears to be a .25 cal of some kind...

Unfortunately my grandfather's condition has rapidly declined in the past few weeks, and he hasn't been able to give me any info on the origin.

I remember him telling me about his "little gun" with ivory grips in the past... I always imagined it being a small Colt semi or something along those lines. So I was pretty surprised when I saw it. Definitely unlike anything I've seen before.

The only markings I can find are a "G" stamped on the frame under the grips and the number "43" next to it. "43" is also stamped on the rear of the cylinder and on the lever that comes down allowing you to load it.

Anyhow, interesting little guy! I appreciate the help and will be back with a full range report :D

Kodyo

Looks like an amazing little gun. If I were you I would do some more research before shooting it or trying to. You could try on more forums or even contact a firearm historian.

Sixer

Looks like an amazing little gun. If I were you I would do some more research before shooting it or trying to. You could try on more forums or even contact a firearm historian.

I think that's a good plan! I'm not really planning on shooting it (yet) haha... but I am going to take to my LGS today and have them take a look at it. The owner is an old codger who was probably around when these guns were being produced :D

tony pasley

Find a book on what was called vest pocket guns from 1880 to 1920 there are several manufactures that made those type of revolvers. English, American, and most countries. They were very popular for city dwellers to have for self-defense.

Jim Watson

This general type of gun came out of Belgian and German factories large and small by the barge load in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The only cause of scarcity is that they were cheaply made and cheaply sold, and therefore scrapped when worn or broken. So you don't see as many as were made in the day.
If it looks like a .25 it might well BE a .25. The semirimmed case lets the .25 ACP/6.35mm work in a revolver which was less expensive than a decent auto.