odd cases - what is it?

I ran into two types of oddities among the cases left on the range today and do not recognize either.
#1 looks for all the world to be a .223 but it is about 0.5 to 0.75 shorter. Green laquered and apparently military, manufactured in '91 from the headstamp.

#2 is even more odd. It appears like a .30 carbine case cut down to 1.5" total length and necked to fire a .22 cal bullet. It's much like a .22 Mach 2 case and not a whole bunch larger, but it is centerfire, military and manufactured in '05 by FMB. There's VERY small printing on the head (not much of a rim there - almost all primer!) that is something x 26 I think.

What were those guys shooting???

Thanks

I think Molasses solved your mystery, but are you sure the 26 is not a 28?

This is the 5.7x28 deal:
5.gif

first thought was 5.45x39 and 5.7 Johnson Spitfire (for custom M-1 Carbines). I bet anything they came from the same shooter. A shooter with excellent eccentric taste.

edit-i was wrong on 2, doubt spitfires were mfg. in 05, probably always handloaded only. probably is the FN P-90/Five-seveN round.

5.7 x 28

The rounds in the picture of the 5.7 x 28 look like it. And the 28mm length fits as it is just a hair over an inch long. Interesting - never saw one before and the casings were at the RIFLE end of the range (100 yds minimum shooting) so whoever it was (a) had money to burn (b) does not reload (c) has eclectic tastes in guns and (d) may have been trying to see what he could do at 100yds with a pistol. Wish I had seen him/her!
In the meantime, I am keeping one of these casings in my wallet - makes a very good conversation starter and just might win me a few cold ones in a bet.:)

Thanks for the help!

There is also an extremely wacky SMG-type deal that uses the 5.7x28. If he was at the 100 yard end of the range, he probably had one of those.

I forget if the P90 or the PS90 is the civilian designation.
PS90.jpg