Odd carry choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaxonPig

I have a friend who routinely packs a Broomhandle Mauser. He has other guns at his disposal but this is the one he chooses.

My first carry piece was a Series '70 Colt Gold Cup. Now it shows some holster wear from years of packing which is probably a little unusual for a Gold Cup. The only bad thing was that sharply hooked front sight that dug into the holster.

I have also packed a 4" S&W Registered Magnum. It's a former cop gun so this made sense to me. Simply doing what it was intended to do. But I found a 4" N frame just a bit much to lug around. Also, the revolver is really too valuable to risk damage or loss as a working gun. It lives in the safe now.

Years ago the smallest handgun I owned was an Iver Johnson TO 22. I would carry it sometimes when I wanted the most compact pistol possible. The 22 would not be my first choice and now my Taurus 380 rivals the TP for size so the IJ is also retired from service.

For a while I went a little nuts and carried a S&W Model 58 41 Magnum. I was living in a very cold winter area and I was actually worried about a bullet getting through layers of winter clothing including a heavy leather coat. Even had the hammer spur bobbed to facilitate carrying it. But it was still a 4" N frame and too big and heavy. I replaced the hammer and retired it.

Anyone else concealed an usual choice for personal defense? I don't mean holstered around the property, I mean concealed carry.

TXAZ

It's become a comfort issue for me. I've CHL carried my Sig 226, but at some point in time there becomes a practical reality between weight, comfort and bulkiness. My 229 is a better choice than the 226 but the Ruger Lc9s is just a whole lot more comfortable and a reasonable choice in most circumstances.

Wyosmith

Any gun will do if you can do a good job with the gun.
:)
Some just make the job easier.
I believe on a scale of 1-10, if the man is a #9 and he has a #2 gun he will beat an enemy that has a #10 gun but is only a #5 in his skill level.

win-lose

I usually carry large revolvers.... mostly a 4" redhawk, or a ruger alaskan... sometimes a gp100. When carrying a semi auto I usually carry a stainless p220. Even on the rare occurrence, where I'm pocket carrying, it is still an all steel 640 or sp101.

I'd say, relative to all the pocket 380's that are the norm, my choices would definitely qualify as "odd".

Sgt127

I ran by the range once at work to fire off a few rounds of .32 out of an old WWII Police PPK.

On the way back to the station, an Officer yelped for help. I was close and ran by there and jumped out to help him. The Walther, loaded, was in my waistband. My duty gun, in a bag in the seat. (I was working plain clothes) and i hadn't put my belt, gun, cuffs & cover garment back on.

All went well. But, it occurred to me that if I had to shoot someone, doing so with a Nazi pistol wouldn't look good.

Nodak1858

I carry my Romanian Tokarev, I have have a Polish as well,but the Romanian eat any ammo no issues. So maybe not the strangest gun out there but I don't see many around this area.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I once carried an Astra Cub (.22 Short) when it wasn't practical to go with anything bigger. Later, a friend asked how I would have used it if I had had to. I told him I would have put two shots right above the BG's eyebrows. He asked if I thought the little bullets would have penetrated. I said no, but the blood would run into his eyes and blind him and I would throw the gun at him and run like heck.

Jim

gyvel

I've carried an FN 1910 .380 for several decades, even back in pre permit days in Florida. I figured if I ever met an Austrian archduke, I would be ready.

dannyb

I have carried a Colt Jr. in .25 acp (Astra Cub with Colt name and medallion), but was never tempted to carry the .22 short version which is the same size. My biggest problem was not feeling under-gunned, but it was the need to carry cocked and locked or to cock it while under pressure if it was needed. I switched to an NAA Guardian in .32 acp and now carry a Beretta Pico.

wpsdlrg

It isn't "odd", if it works for you. Except in the extreme, such as trying to conceal a belt-fed machine gun, or something similarly ridiculous.

MFitz

Weird.

I read the post title and for some strange reason the very first thing that came to my mind was Broomhandle Mauser.

Then I opened the thread and sure enough the OP leads off with,...

Deaf Smith

One needs to become an Advenger...

attachment.php

As in Steed and Emma Peel.

Deaf

AK103K

As with most things from our youth, what you remember......

475cd1421585b018d360d2d424420482.jpg

Somehow isnt the same today.....

Jonathan-Ross-Show-2015-diana-rigg-38157684-306-486.jpg

Looks like the gun is still sexy. Sort off. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.