Obsolete Obsession

roy reali

Does anyone here own or shoot rifles chambered for obsolete cartridges? What are they? I have always had a fondness for guns that are chambered for oddball rounds. I know the ammo can be a pain to get, even components for reloading can be problamatic. However, I think they are just fun to shoot.

So, is there anyone else obsessed by obsolete cartridges?

T. O'Heir

No, but you're not alone. Lots of shooters like to shoot old calibres. .577-450 is fairly popular, up here. Brass is horrendously expensive though. One shop wants $154.95 per 20 for Bertram brass. The shop keeps it in stock though.
"...can be problematic..." Bullets, sometimes. Some cartridges use bullet diameters that aren't available. .228" bullets for a .22 Savage High Power is one.
Cartridge Conversions usually has a way of making brass for old stuff out of easily obtained brass. It's not always easy to do without some tools and equipment though. Lathes, etc.
The Lyman manuals usually have data for some odd cartridges. Winchester .351 and .401 SL, for example.

Scorch

Obsolete ammo and the guns that fire it can be addictive. I used to have a pretty good collection of military rifles from the late 1800s, and I worked with a guy who had a business selling obsolete ammo, which had to be formed from other cases. I enjoyed it immensely and learned a lot. Nowadays, I stick with pretty tame stuff, the wierdest one I own is my 7X57. I still remember my Mauser M1871 pretty fondly.

gedenke

I have an Arisaka Type 38 sporter that is chambered in 6.5x257. Not terribly hard to load for, though. I just take 257 Roberts brass and neck it up to .264. Only problem I've come across is that it's favorite load is with some 160gr Sierra SMPs which are, yup, you guessed it....discontinued. :rolleyes: Those bullets are proving to be harder to find than AR parts lately. Luckily, it'll shoot 140gr Speers/Hornadys fairly well.

T. O'Heir

.30-40 Krag ammo is loaded, seasonally, by Remington and Winchester. Midway carries both makes, in season. $29.49 per 20 for Remington. $26.99 for Winchester. 180 grain SP's for both. Same for brass from both.
I'd love to know what the 'season' is. Suspect deer season though.
Buffalo Arms lists Remington brass at $50 per 100. Midway wants $47.99 per 100, when they have it.
Obsolete doesn't alway mean old. I have a .41AE BHP barrel fitted to my Inglis. Had enough sense(and money) to buy 500 cases, dies and shell holder when I bought the barrel. Otherwise, I'd be SOL for ammo or brass. Nobody makes the ammo.
Reasonablly priced cast bullets of the right shape, on the other hand, are another story. The .41AE uses .410" bullets and won't feed anything over 210 grains. Too long. SWC's just won't.

B.L.E.

The first centerfire rifle I was allowed to shoot and the first deer I killed when I was a kid was with a Winchester 1894 rifle, long octagon barrel and crescent butt plate, in .32-40. It's an old black powder cartriage that really should make a comeback, a lot more pleasant to shoot than a .45-70 and more economical as well.
I understand that you can make .32-40 brass out of .30-30 brass. Winchester and Remington loaded it when I was a kid but today it can only be bought from some specialty ammo companies for a lot of money.

kraigwy

I kind of like obsolete cartriges, but I wouldnt say I had an obsession.

I shoot a 44 Russian that belonged to my great grandfather, and will go to my oldest son.

I also have a Remington Rolling Block that shoots the 44-90 Sharps bottleneck.

I also have a Mannlicher-Schoenaquer that shoots thet 8X51 Mauser (which uses the .318 bullet instead of the .323 bullet).

Try finding loading info for that one. The only manuel I found it in is Col. Sharps COMPLETE GUIDE TO RELOADING, and then, all he says is "if you're loading this one, you are on your own".

Ozzieman

54 cal 1856 Burnsides,
I am rebuilding it now, it has a broken hammer, and this is the only round that I have. I don’t actually plan on firing it,,, but it would be interesting to.
The other is a 44 special to show size.

Last edited:

sc928porsche

577-450 martini henry brass can be made from 24 ga. brass shotshells (available at Midway and a few other places) Although not exactly cheap, it is less expensive than premade brass.

longranger

I have a 40-70 Sharps Straight that I reload.It was an original chambering in the original Sharps rifle. I have never seen a piece of original 40-70 SS brass with my own eyes,I have seen pictures but not the real thing.
I load with B/P and 408gr Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet.On a nice day it will shoot a group you can cover with your hand @ 500M.Brass is available from Buffalo Arms it is stretched from R.P. 30-40 Krag or from Rocky Mountain Cartridge out of Cody.I have some of their brass and it is the nicest brass you will ever own.It is three times the work to make it go boom, worth every minute.The 40-70 SS has the way cool factor to go with great accuracy:cool:

jdscholer

Mine is the 218 Bee. The rifle is a Winchester Model 43 bolt action - 19fiftysumpthin vintage. It's a cartridge that never should have gone obsolete IMO. It's easy to reload, and I've acquired a couple thousand brass for it, so it will probably be the only rifle in that particular category that I'll ever own. 17 HMR and such hold no appeal for me.

I guess I also shoot 38 S&W in my old top-break. Most folks would consider it to be obsolete.

Heck, a lot of folks would consider my 222 Rem. to be obsolete. Maybe I'm gettin obsolete.:confused: jd

101guns

I love the older calibers and use them: 250 Savage, 300 Savage, 7x57, 30-40 Krag, 303 British, 257 Bob, 222 Rem., etc. Always neat to respond when someone at camp says, "What ya shootin?" But dont forget your ammo....no one else can lend you any.

darkgael

M-H

Ain't it the truth.
I have a Martini-Henry Long Lever 577-450. It is a hoot to shoot. That huge case can hold about 120 grains of BP. Behind a 450-500 grain bullet, that load makes quite a bang. The normal load is a lighter 85 grains of FFg or Fg.
Brass is expensive. I've picked my brass up, mostly from Kynoch, a few pieces at a time over the years. Brass is available in drawn form from Kynoch and Bertram as already noted. Lathe turned brass may be had from Rocky Mt. Cartridge Co.
I also have the M-H's baby brother, a .310 Cadet. It is a remarkably accurate little rifle. A bit of an effort to find the proper heeled bullet and brass but easy to handoad.
Pete

Crankylove

I have a .22 Hornet and a .358 Winchester. The Hornet isn't really an oddball, just not very popular in my area. The .358 is the only one I have seen around, and I kinda like that. Most people I mention it to think I just made it up, and don't believe it was developed 50 years ago.

My brother has a 7.7x58 Arisaka, sporterized by my grandfather, not a very common gun around here. Shoots good, but finding brass is a bit of a pain. My granfather made a jig to cut 30-06 brass down, and after fire forming, it works ok, but the case head isn't quite the same size :( , and factory ammo is a bit pricey :eek:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am the opposite... I don't reload and would only do so if I shot enuff to justify a savings. I will only own old survivable calibers to avoid ending up with a mantle piece. I am still waiting to see to see if the .17hmr is a keeper in the market.
Brent

El Paso Joe

Several -
256 win mag. Form the brass from 357 mag (two dies from Redding).
32-40 in a Stevens 44 1/2. Form brass from 32 win spl or 30-30.
310 Martini (actually 32-20 but there is a story) - use RCBS molds for the heeled bullet & 32acp to taper crimp.
358 Win in a m99. Not really obsolete though.
35 Whelen. Also not really obsolete.
16ga - not obsolete yet but getting close.
22 Hornet.
25 acp - not obsolete but should be. You really have to ask "What were they thinking?"
That's all that come to mind. But I really like the challenge of figuring out how to load for the "obsolete ones."