Observations of a used gun aficionado

SIGSHR

For a variety of reasons-being a cheapskate is probably the first and most
important-the vast majority of the 50 or so handguns that have passed through my hands-and the 40 I still own-have been used, or pre-owned if you prefer. In fact I have bought only 5 NIB in 38 years. I have yet to have had a real lemon, I have had two that just didn't feel right for me, I sold others because I was a cash strapped student at the time. I have gotten a
couple in their original boxes with the papers, I have had only one gun returned to the factory for warranty work. Which technically speaking I wasn't entitled to, bought it used, but the gunsmith/ dealer I bought it from
had sold it to the previous owner send it back "under warranty". And of course you rarely if ever find a milsurp NIB, still in the factory grease, if you did it wouldn't have any war stories to tell.

jrothWA

I find better value..

in used firearms, as long as you know what your looking for.
A rust-pocked blueing may just be a holster queen that never got an oiling.
Having to tap cartridges out of a cylinder, means a idiot owned and needs to be checked carefully.
Check slide marks on a autoloader means no lube and a shorter life.
knowing where to look for frame crack helps.
There a some value to be found.
New Glocks and Sigs don't interest me.
Something with character does. BHP from early 50's or marked INGLIS.
S&WM39-2 tugs my wallet easily.
Series 70 GM, Combat Commander, or LW causes me to DROOL.
ANYTHING 16ga causes me to space out.
And can't resist taking home anything in a Win 88 or 100.

croyance

They simply don't make what I like anymore, for the most part. A couple designs catch my attention.

Some people just want to try something new, go through a box or two of ammo, and sell it. Glad to get a bargain on something almost mint.

18DAI

"They simply don't make what I like anymore..."

+1. All the guns on my want list were made years ago. Now I just have to hunt down some LNIB examples. The upside is I get an excellent handgun, for less money out of pocket. Regards 18DAI.