Observations at the Coroner's Office

Poplin

Recently, I worked temporarily at the coroner's office in a large metropolitan area. This office did investigations and autopsies on anyone who died violently, unexpectedly, or under suspicious circumstances. During my time, there were perhaps two dozen gunshot deaths. I have made some observations. Keep in mind that these are subjective observations on a small number of dead victims.

1. There is a wide variety of bullets. Projectiles of all types were recovered from the bodies--from .32 to .45 pistol rounds, rifle slugs, and shotgun pellets. There were no .22's. I can't say for sure what the calibers were because the recovered slugs were measured and investigated elsewhere.

2. Hollowpoints work. For the pistol rounds, about 1/4 - 1/3 were hollowpoints. Every single one that was removed from a body was well-expanded. Some had passed through heavy clothing or other obstacles before lodging itself into the deceased.

3. If you want to kill someone, use a shotgun at close range. Pistol and rifle rounds often went right through the victim, leaving neat holes, both entrance and exit. Victims often died after being being shot multiple times with a pistol or after someone at a hospital tried to save them. Shotgun wounds left huge, nasty holes and no exit wounds. This was true even of light birdshot. Those hit with a shotgun were immediately killed.

4. Life is precious and fragile. I was amazed at the number of car accidents, freak accidents, overdoses, falls, heart attacks, suicides and homicides that happen every day. People die of the most stupid and unexpected reasons. I would look upon the recently deceased and know that just 24 hours before, I might have talked to him on the street, or done business with her in a store. I knew that at that moment, their families were mourning, or even just getting the news that their loved one had died.

Go hug your family and protect them well.

Humbly, Poplin

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I see that you paid attention to detail. Very informative for all
persons to know and understand. Thanks-

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

yorec

To deal with death like this is most humbling if you allow yourself to actually take it all in. You realize how fragile life is and just how small and vulnerable you are. That's why many of us develope techniques as a defense against it - gallows humor, alcohol consumption, anger releases of various sorts, etc. Clinical annalysis of bullet effectiveness may be a new one I havent heard of...

At least it may be somewhat useful. Take care.

40ozflatfoot

Thanks for a very enlightening post.

Yes, life is fragile. I used to wonder what might have been if certain people hadn't died prematurely. What potential had been lost.

In a way, it's pity more don't agree with you. We might not need so many guns to protect ourselves from those that differ.

lonegunman

Interesting info, but of limited usefulness. Everyone you saw was dead.

I dont think you can draw the conclusion that "hollowpoints work" from this. You dont know how many people were shot with hollowpoints that didnt expand, and lived through it. I bet for every dead person you saw, another 10 were shot but lived.

DonP

Interesting observations and moving

Spending any time in a hospital emergency ward or the morgue can be very enlightening and life changing.

A doctor friend of mine took me through the Neuro (brain damage) ward at the teaching hospital he worked at. I saw what can happen to you if you dump your motorcyle, even at low speeds without a helmet. Seeing a couple of very young men and one woman that were all but brain dead and paralyzed sent me right out to pickup a really good and expensive helmet.

Life is precious.

Don P.