Oal

rcksil

I know that OAL is "OVER ALL LENGTH". I read that for 230gr RN you want a OAL of 1.275 per the Lyman reloading manual and in the Lee reloading manual they show the Min OAL of 1.190 if I am using W231 powder. What do I aim for. The reason I ask is I just loaded 100 rounds of 230gr RN at 1.265. I do not think it will matter but I was just wondering why the difference. Thanks

Smokey Joe

Rcksil--230 gr. RN, OAL of 1.275" per Lyman manual sounds like you're loading .45ACP.

The crucial length for this cartridge is the case length, since in this cartridge the gun headspaces on the case mouth. So you want 'em all trimmed to exact length.

Precisely how deep you seat any given bullet is another matter, governed mostly by whether the cartridge will feed correctly in yr pistol's magazine, and whether it will feed correctly into the chamber.

Having developed a given load, you want to always seat the bullet for that load consistently to the same depth, so as not to vary the room the powder has when it is ignited. If this varies, so does the pressure the powder exerts, which can affect accuracy, and in extreme cases be dangerous.

So, correct feeding in yr pistol, and consistency, are the 2 biggest factors in .45ACP OAL. IMHO.

:D Oh, BTW, what you aim for is the bullseye. :D (Smirks broadly) Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Mal H

Staff
Any particular caliber, rcksil?

If you're talking about .45 ACP as Smokey Joe surmised, then your 1.265" OAL should be fine for a 230 RN. Speer suggests 1.260" and Hornady suggests 1.240" for their 230 RN's. What you are shooting for is an equal and consistent amount of bullet inside the case for any bullet type and/or the proper distance of the ogive to the rifling (depends on what you're loading for) along with proper feeding for your particular pistol.

The OAL is determined for a particular bullet after all that is achieved and is used simply for ease of measuring when loading. Not all bullets of the same type (RN, HP, etc.) will have the same OAL. The bullet manufacturer is the best source of info for the OAL.

I would question the Lee advice of 1.190 OAL. Are you sure they meant that for a 230 gr. RN bullet or was it perhaps for an HP? I also question their implied OAL being governed by the powder used - it isn't.

rcksil

I am sorry...yes it is a 45 acp. Also what is COL, I also see that at times.
Thanks again.
BTW would it be ok to set the OAL the same for RN and SWC, like around 1.250.

Sooo that's what that round small thing is for :D

Last edited:

Olaf

COL stands for "cartridge overall length".... an interchangeable term with OAL (overall length).

Archie

Two things about length...

First thing: If your round is too long, it won't fit in the magazine. This is not a big deal, as you will notice this and not be able to shoot the ammo until you fix it. Sometimes, if your bullet is way too far out of the case, it will not chamber because the bullet will bottom out on the leade of the rifling and not completely chamber. Again, you can't use it until you fix it.

Second thing: If your round is too short, you pushed the bullet in too deeply. In effect, this reduces the chamber size and jacks up pressure. This is a bad thing, because the round will chamber and fire - and beat your pistol up in the process. Your pistol probably won't blow up on the first shot, but the extra pressure and slide speed will beat the springs and frame and such over time. Or stretch the top strap in the case of revolvers.

Ammo must be short enough to fit in magazine or cylinder, and long enough to take advantage of totality of powder space in casing. If you pay heed to the posted OAL or COL, you should be fine.

Last edited: