O/U sporting shotgun?

Cavè Canem

Im in the market for a good O/U shotgun in 12Gauge for Skeet/Trap.

I would prefer wooden stock and fore end and do the power ejectors come standard. (break open the breech and the casings come flying out.) :D

I know pretty much nothing about these sorts of shotguns.

Maybe up to $400? Not sure b/c I dont know the prices on these things.

I have a MB500A with a 20"bbl and full length tube. Not exactly ideal for clays.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Boris49

$400 for an over/under? Don't think you can get all you want at that price. Look for a good Citori field grade with invector chokes. I used one for skeet, trap and field for a long time. Still looks new with many miles on it.

Danny45

I don't think even the E.A.A.'s are 400 bucks. If you find one for that price, DON'T buy it without having a competent 'smith look it over!!!

You won't even find decent used ones for less than 800.00. And most makes will run you from around 1,000.00. There's a few out there that cost as much as my house.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Good doubles do not come cheap. Not so good doubles are not worth owning.

Use your 500(Good shotgun) until you can afford a used Browning or Berreta.

And, using that 500 will mean you're more proficient with it, always a good thing...

Cavè Canem

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how much O/U cost thats why I said $400. I guess it will be a while till I can get one unless I find a good used one.

I was thinking about using my 500 but wasn't sure how the pattern would be with a 20"bbl. I guess the only way is to try it. :)

Thanks again.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Bbl length has nothing to do with pattern. Choke and load are the big variables here. Is that Mossie set up for tubes? If so, use Full or Modified for Trap, Cylinder/Skeet/IC for Skeet.

Try your 500, you won't hit them all but chances are you'll have a lot of fun trying.

Cavè Canem

Not that I am aware of. It has no threads or places to attach a choke too.

Im not sure how a choke attaches, the only way I have seen them attach is by screwing on.

Cavè Canem

Im going to try my 500 this weekend. What a good Skeet/Trap load? The only ammo I have is 00buck, I probably wont hit any little clay pigeons with that.

Boris49

If you don't reload buy the cheapest #8 shot in 2 3/4" shells. Fiocchi is ok. You can always save those high end cases and do a tradeout later with a reloader. Or start reloading yourself. It's a kick!

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Good loads for clays,CC,are about an oz of 7 1/2, 8 or 8 1/2 shot. That last is hard to get, but any chain store or gunshop has cheap ammo labeled Dove and Quail loads that will do well. Later, you may want to upgrade to a trap load. For now,tho the cheaper stuff suffices.

Choke tubes do screw in, it looks like yours has a fixed choke, probably open. It won't be ideal for trap, but it will work for Skeet or SC.

HTH...

Brooks

O/U Shotgun

I saw an EEA Baikal Russian O/U 12 ga. for the first time and on sale at a Gander Mountain for $349 and bought one. It was a lot better finished than I had expected. The walnut looks and fits well. It is a 28" gun with auto ejectors, chrome lined hammer forged barrels and selective trigger. It has worked well with the first 10 boxes or so. They are worth a look that's for sure.

http://www.eaacorp.com/

Bam Bam

CC, do a search at gunsamerica, gunbroker, auctionarms, griffinhowe, etc to get an idea of what costs what. While you save up, have fun.

Danny45

Gander Mountain????? Didn't they go out of business several years ago?? I thought Cabela's bought them out.

Brooks

Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain is in business in MN. Galyans moved in and will give them some competition.

Zoso

Stoeger

You can a grab a Stoeger for around that money, they are now owned by Beretta/Benelli, and we have sold a boat load of them.

BIGSLOWHEAVY

Back in my younger days and before I knew anything at all about over unders, I bought a used F.I.E 12ga o/u for $190 used. It looked brand new but was missing the recoil pad. Amazingly enough, it turned out to be a great little gun. I used to fire both barrels at the same time because I thought it was cool(probably not the greatest idea in the world with a used bargain basement o/u). Although I have never before or since fired another o/u and thus have nothing to compare it to, I must say that I was extremely pleased with it. I know that it really irked they older/wiser guys with their high dollar o/u's that some punk kid could shoot so well with a wannabe o/u. I genuinely abused that thing and the only problem I ever had with was that the extractor(if that's even what it is called) never worked on both shells at the same time.

Boris49

There is nothing wrong with a less expensive used gun. The real issues are safety and durability. Most shotguns are relatively safe to use if maintained properly. Durability is another issue. An inexpensive gun may last a few years with heavy use. A good quality gun can last a lifetime and then some. If you can't afford a good quality O/U at $500 to $600(or, possibly, more), then you may be better off with a high quality pump that will endure and have trade-in value when you want to move up.

Cavè Canem

Wow, thanks for all the advice and info!

I was thinking about getting a Remington 870 with a 24"bbl, or a Remington 1100. I have shot them both and liked them, the 1100 more then the 870 but they both shot well. The only thing im not to sure on is if the choke can be modified. Like ive said, i know nothing about sporting shotguns. :)

Thanks again for all your help, advice and information.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Except for some specialized bbls, all new 870s and 100s come with choke tubes as standard. So do many used ones. I guess the tube craze really got rolling around 1990. It was an idea whose time had come, tubes actually have been around since the early 60s, with the Winchokes.