o/u lube points?

bigautomatic

To make a long story short, I aquired a fairly cheap turkish made O/U a little while back. It has seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 rounds in the last 6 months, and is very tight. Not sure of total rounds fired, but the gun looked like brand new when I got it. Upon opening, it is very smooth but very tight. I have little experience with O/U shotguns, so I would like to know the main parts of concern as far as wear, and lubricating those points to keep a less expensive gun from "shooting loose" prematurely. Thanks!

BigJimP

I use "Rig grease" on the hinge pin and ears where the barrel connects to the receiver. I also grease the "lug" where the forend connects to the barrels.

On the screw in chokes / I use "Break Free" oil ...

On the firing pins, springs, etc inside the receiver - I use a light spray oil - with preservative in it / like "Rig oil" ..

When a gun is real tight / and on any gun for that matter - I'm especially careful to move the locking lever to the side as I close the gun and lock it firmly / but I don't slam it together. Clean it every time you shoot it / renew all the grease ...and it'll loosen up a little...

bigautomatic

Thanks guys. I disasembled as far as I could without scaring myself, and cleaned all the gunk out. It was actually surprisingly clean though. I used some pistol slide grease to lube all the pivot points and such, just what I had on hand. Seemed to work fine. I put another 150 rounds through it on Saturday, and cleaned the first 25 birds without a miss! (thats a near impossibility for me). Not so great for the rest of the day, but I'm fine with that. Ya gotta start somewhere.

oneounceload

Excellent scores!....Just remember to clean and regrease those areas as grease is also a crud magnet and grit and grease will cause too much wear and tear. Grease works well on choke tubes (especially an anti-seize type), but any good gun grease works on wear points while oil works for a good wipe-down

mete

Hinge pin and locks - high pressure greases are available I use RIG +P+ [if it's still available] but there are others . Other parts of the gun need only a good gun oil.

BigJimP

Rig Grease is available again ...(but Rig Oil, so far, is not ) ....:mad: and I'm almost out of Rig Oil ....

mete

There is the old RIG - Universal Gun Grease
There is RIG +P - Stainless steel gun lube - this is a 'high pressure ' grease also for those type applications such as shotgun hinge pins. !
Both of these are now available !!

BigJimP

I don't know what Rig's Universal grease components are ....but its a light amber color ...(which is part of the reason I like it ).

I don't use any of the high pressure formula ( and don't see why you would need it for a shotgun ..).

BigJimP

I have several Browning O/U's ...that are well over 50,000 shells - and a couple approaching 100,000 shells thru them .....and they have all had the Rig Universal grease on the hinge pins and ears for the connection area / since they were new ...

and no signs of wear on any of my guns .... So Rig Universal is doing its job for me ...( maybe the other forumulas would be even better ....don't know)...

but I'm going to keep using Rig Universal.

zippy13

A lot of lubricants are formulated for the long haul. With an O/U this shouldn't apply. All of my O/U are stored broken down in hard cases. Before I shoot, I apply a lubricant liberally to the friction points and wipe off the excess. After the day's shootings I wipe off all of the lubricant and return the stock/receiver and barrel/forearm groups to the case. I've used RIG, RIG SS, STOS, and Mobil-1 Synthetic Grease and it doesn't seem to make much difference at the end of the day. The Mobil-1 seems harder to wipe off, so I use it to protect the white-metal receiver on my SC3.

While servicing one of my guns, the Perazzi factory mechanic brushed on some lube before mounting the barrel. Queried, he said it was a 1:1 mix of 30W non-detergent motor oil and Vaseline.

BigJimP

and a little dab behind each ear .... and in each armpit ...and you'll be good for another 100,000 shells my friend ........:D

oneounceload

While servicing one of my guns, the Perazzi factory mechanic brushed on some lube before mounting the barrel. Queried, he said it was a 1:1 mix of 30W non-detergent motor oil and Vaseline.

If it's good enough for Perazzi, it bears looking into