O/U coach gun style?

Housezealot

I have zero experiance with O/U shot guns, but most I have seen apear to be set up for water fowl or trap shooting, is there any out there that were set up for defense? I realize that 2 shots is not considered by most to be enough for HD but with as many SXS coach gus out there I have to imagine somebody has contructed a U/O in that manner.
(and yeah I realize "coach" gun is refering to a SXS)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Not an owner of them... You would need to insist on a double trigger if it exists. You risk a failure to switch firing pins or barrel how ever them clay shooters say it...
The gun has to break open considerably further for bottom shell to eject. If I was using a break action gun for HD it would require hammers... I may consider a hammerless SXS but...
Brent

Housezealot

some excellent points.
I'm not considering one for HD, I have just never owned an O/U and thought it might be neat if I could get one that is a little different

Housezealot

Thanks, i think those are kind of cool and not all that expensive. I don't know about the stainless with the synthetic stock on an O/U though.

oneounceload

Depends on its intended use as to whether or not it would be practical - for most clay target games, the answer would be no, IMO. When the barrels are TOO short, your ability to maintain your swing on moving targets is greatly diminished. IIRC, there is a Browning O/U that has 24" barrels, (or they made one at one time), with an aluminum receiver to save weight. If it isn't a current production model, try the various auction sites and see if someone is selling one.

Sam06

Here is one on Gunbroker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130385573

That looks like a neat gun. It has screw in chokes but it doesn't have auto ejectors, which are nice on an O/U. It has a single trigger so i would guess it is recoil operated for the second shot like a SKB. It looks like a nice gun at a good price. I would have to see one i person though before i thought about buying one. If anyone has one I would like to hear about it.........Sam

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A 26" barrelled double of either persuasion has an OA length of about what an 870 with a 20" barrel has.

Certainly a short O/U can be used as a coach gun, but the greater difficulty of loading the bottom barrel has to be considered.

Valmet had and possibly still makes a 12 gauge O/U with 24" barrels and open sights that can be regulated to shoot slugs into the same place. That would be a neat brush gun for deer and hogs. Or, defending the stagecoach between Yuma and Tombstone.

Housezealot

that one on gun broker is kinda neat, I am a sucker for stuff thats a little different, pretty cheap too. might have to pick one up after I pick up my current layaway. the last few toys I have picked up have been a little expensive so it will be nice to get something I can pay for all at once.