Nylon Shoulder Rigs - Comments?

Yanus

Guys,
I am considering purchasing a nylon shoulder rig and would
like some input from anybody with experience with these rigs. I am looking at Shooting Systems, Bagmaster, and Galati International. Any and all comments appreciated.

SAWBONES

Nylon Shoulder Rigs - Comments?

Yeah. You'll be sorry you got one.
Quite seriously, there are no all-nylon shoulder rigs out there suitable for anything but occasional use. Believe me, I've tried 'em all, and what you'll find best, almost certainly, is a Bodyguard rig from Lou Alessi, assuming that is, that a shoulder rig is right for you to begin with.
The size of the gun and your own body size and shape are obviously very important points, too.
I have no intent to abuse bandwidth by posting some of my own experience with shoulder rigs, but if interested, email me and I'll send you a little summary called "shoulder holster reviews", FWIW. Best.

Yanus

Thanks, Sawbones.
(laughing) I've "been there, done that" with a few brands of shoulder rigs myself! I know Lou makes quality stuff, but
frankly, the idea of a shoulder "system" has peaked my interest. I am leaning towards Shooting Systems as I have used some of their holsters, including shoulder rigs, in the past. They have completely redesigned their shoulder rigs since their days as "Assault Systems". I currently use a Miami Classic for a G30 and love it, but am in the market for a revolver rig. Anybody else have any comments?

Mike in VA

Yanus - I bought an Uncle Mikes, nylon shoulder rig when I was trying to figure out what kind of carry suited my body type (actually I bought several inexpensive holsters in different styles). Once Ifigured out that the shoulder rig suited my big self, I bought a Galco Jackass rig, and am very happy with it. Sawbones is right, nylon just doesn't get it for discrete carry, I haven't seen one yet that fits right and lays smoothly. YMMV, HTH, M2

Bulldog44

I bought an Uncle Mike's nylon rig for a .38 Special I used to have and I didn't like it at all. If I were to wear a shoulder holster again, I would definitely want a quality leather rig.

Yanus

Thanks, guys. I am seriously looking at Lou Alessi's shoulder rigs. They are cheaper in price than Galco and appear to be as well made if not better. Does anyone know of the turn around time involved with an order?
Thanks.

Sarpedon

Have you looked at Ken Null?

I realize they aren't nylon, but have you looked at Ken Null's shoulder rigs? I'm not a big fan of the shoulder holster, but I tried one of Null's and really liked it. It's unconventional, but the design works well. The "SKR" is designed specifically for a j-frame revolver, and there's another design for larger guns. Turnaround time on my order was within 2 weeks, and the cost was $55.

Mark
jmb@sarpedon.com

Null's Website:
http://www.klnullholsters.com

Pics of my sholder rig:
http://www.sarpedon.com/handguns/nullsmz.htm

dairycreek

Never a good choice for me.....

I have tried both Uncle Mikes as well as Bagmaster shoulder holster rigs. I have just never been able to get enthused about them for concealed carry use. They were uncomfortable. Then, what did I do when I wanted to take off my coat or jacket? Alwasy a problem. I do use them as rigs when I am hunting. For my scoped Ruger Super Redhawk it is perfect for hunting. As far as using ballistic cloths vs. leather I found the leather ones just as uncomfortable for concealed carry. Just a matter of choice.

denfoote

Back when I was new to the CCW "thing" I bought two, not one , but two Uncle Mike's shoulder rigs. I never wear them any more. It is too hot here in AZ for such a rig. About the only time I did wear it was when I shot my CCW qualification, and that was only because the rig was the only CCW holster I had at the time. Boy, I learned fast!!!!:)