Nylon pads in scope rings

tangolima

They have become popular. Small rectangular shape of thin pads stuck on the ID of scope rings. Supposed to be nylon, but they look more like fabric. I think they are to improve the grip. Do you keep them?

I don't. I like full contact between the ring and the tube, instead of just 2 rectangular areas. I peel them off, clean up the residual adhesive. To improve the grip, I lightly dust the ID of the rings with rosin powder.

What think you? Thanks for your inputs.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

They have become popular. Small rectangular shape of thin pads stuck on the ID of scope rings. Supposed to be nylon, but they look more like fabric. I think they are to improve the grip. Do you keep them?

I don't. I like full contact between the ring and the tube, instead of just 2 rectangular areas. I peel them off, clean up the residual adhesive. To improve the grip, I lightly dust the ID of the rings with rosin powder.

What think you? Thanks for your inputs.

-TL

If I was shooting in a match I would sure hope the competition is using them.;)

Pahoo

Can you elaborate???

If I was shooting in a match I would sure hope the competition is using them.
Can you elaborate as there are many, in service?? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!!

stagpanther

Can you elaborate as there are many, in service?? ....
In competition shooting? Could be, won't be the first time I'm not in the know. I personally would not have confidence in a nylon pad maintaining a consistent hold on the scope tube at least long term. But I don't mind being set straight.

Shadow9mm

In my experience, they are only included in cheap rings. Also they generally don't last and wind up getting slimy as the adhesives gets old, and tend to slide around. I wont buy rings that have them in them, they are usually a poor fix for bad quality rings.

tangolima

In my experience, they are only included in cheap rings. Also they generally don't last and wind up getting slimy as the adhesives gets old, and tend to slide around. I wont buy rings that have them in them, they are usually a poor fix for bad quality rings.
I would say aluminum rings. I tend to buy cheap rings. That's true. But I also have affordable steel rings. They don't seem to have the pads.

-TL

Txhillbilly

Buy a high quality set of rings and you won't need to buy any "Snake Oil" products that just take your money and serve no real purpose.

The same can be said with cheap priced optic's. Buy once, Cry once!

stagpanther

Buy a high quality set of rings and you won't need to buy any "Snake Oil" products that just take your money and serve no real purpose.

The same can be said with cheap priced optic's. Buy once, Cry once!
Pretty much how I see it too--only because I have bought a bunch of cheapo rings and scopes and learned the hard way. Really comes down to true of ring alignments--I hand-lap my rings on some upper-end scopes to get maximum accuracy out of them; for my "serious" builds I'll go to top-quality rings like American Rifle Company's which generally don't need truing/lapping.

Shadow9mm

I would say aluminum rings. I tend to buy cheap rings. That's true. But I also have affordable steel rings. They don't seem to have the pads.

-TL

If your looking for good but relatively inexpensive try the Leupold Rifleman rings. Decent quality for around $20-$25.

taylorce1

I mainly see it on cheep rings as well. However,
they've been using friction tape in scope rings for years. It has been very popular in springer air rifles that are surprisingly hard on optics. It also prevents rotating of the scope while tightening the rings, and prevents scope rash if the scope moves under recoil.

I don't think the piece of tape is going to affect anything with the scope. Nor does removing the tape and using rosin. Just keep on, keeping on with your process.