NY strike laws....a bit too enslaving?

BerettaCougar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051214/ap_on_re_us/transit_talks

NEW YORK - The city is putting more legal pressure on subway and bus workers preparing to strike and bring the nation's largest public transit system to a halt.

City officials were expected back in court Wednesday, this time to argue a lawsuit against the Transport Workers Union in Brooklyn seeking damages for expenses already incurred in preparation for a strike. The suit also seeks lost revenues and overtime and fines of $25,000 that would double each day for those who walk out on the job.

"The way to resolve this is not on the picket line but at the bargaining table," city Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo said.

Arthur Schwartz, attorney for Local 100, called the lawsuit "total hogwash."

Subway and bus workers voted over the weekend to give the union's board the power to call a strike at 12:01 a.m. Friday when the current contract runs out. Sticking points in negotiations include wages, health benefits and pensions.

A judge Tuesday granted a preliminary injunction prohibiting the workers from striking if they fail to reach a new contract. State law bans public employee strikes and workers who walk out risk losing two days' pay for every day of work they miss — or could even be jailed.

Though negotiations continue, the city put together contingency plans for a strike. The last time New York transit workers walked off the job was in April of 1980, forcing New Yorkers to ride bikes, walk and even use boats, private helicopters and roller skates to get around the city for 11 days.

This time, the city plans to try and manage gridlock by only permitting cars carrying four people into the busiest parts of Manhattan. Metro-North and the Long Island Rail Road — the MTA's suburban railroads — would offer local shuttles in the Bronx and Queens. Yellow cabs could pick up more than one fare at a time.

Representatives from the MTA and union are negotiating at a Manhattan hotel, where several hundred transit workers held a late-afternoon rally Tuesday.

The Rev.
Al Sharpton said before the rally that a possible strike "will clearly be a tremendous burden" on city residents but the MTA, not the workers, should be blamed in the dispute.

Sharpton cited the agency's $1 billion budget surplus, saying "they have the wherewithal to do the right thing."

In its latest offer, the MTA has proposed 6 percent raises over 27 months. The union is demanding 8 percent raises, a total of 24 percent over three years. President Roger Toussaint has said the other aspects of the MTA's offer "insult" the workers.

The state comptroller's office has estimated that the strike could cost the city more than $200 million per day in lost economic activity and productivity.

___

So wait, walking off on a job could land you in JAIL?

Musketeer

As I understand it many unions sign away the "right to strike" in order for job security. Then, after making that deal, they say how not being able to strike to get higher wages is unfair.:barf: Well go cry me a river.

Here is the deal I have with my company. If I work well, earn the company money and cause no problems I will probably be kept on. If I want to leave I can and they can't do a thing about it. If I don't show up for work they can replace me, they do not need to hold my job open for when I have negotiated a better deal.

I grew up in a Construction Union family and understand that unions most certainly had their place in the past and still have a moderate one now. Unfortunately unions have far more to do with kickbacks to the top end, protecting those with seniority at the top over the rest of the union, and getting their political hacks elected. Unions are doing plenty to enforce the status quo and prevent improvement.

Part of the Transit Workers Union problem is job security. Improvements are being made in the system with automated tickets and easy pass toll systems. The public pays for these improvements but then can enjoy no financial long term benifits from it because staffing can never be reduced. Those people who are no longer needed for those tasks are paid to sit around an pick their noses. Then they compain about not being paid enough to pick their noses. My advice is join the rest of the work force. If your job is obsoleted, as mine was once, get off your butt and get a new job. Don't expect me to pay for you until retirement.

Do I sound jaded...

gb_in_ga

Musketeer -- +1. As I said in another thread, unions are now part of the problem and have largely outlived their usefulness, I sure won't go out of my way to support them.

So wait, walking off on a job could land you in JAIL?
Nothing new about that. Remember the Air Traffic Controller strike back in the 80's? What if the police or firefighter unions were to strike? What about sanitation workers? Yes, public infrastructure employees who strike and thus cause a general breakdown of society do need to be leaned on HARD, I have no problem with that.

MHDIsHere

I commute daily by subway, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Every year the highest paid New York City employee is a transit worker. There's always a transit worker who makes over a half-million a year. This is a guy who runs a subway or drives a bus mind you. How does this happen? Their union contract says that their pension is a percentage of the average of their last three years salary, including overtime. So for the last three years before retirement they get tons, and I mean TONS of overtime. My sister knew a bus driver, he would make a run in the morning at 6:00, get back to the depot at 7:00, go home, do his thing all day, go out and make another run at 5:00 until 6:00 and get paid for 12 hours, 4 of that OT. So our guy who made a half million a year for his last three years gets a pension of 250k or 300k per year of the taxpayers money when he retires.

The guys who sweep the floors in the subway stations make 45k per year. I have zero sympathy for the TWU. If they strike I wish Bloomberg would do what Reagan did when the air traffic controllers struck, you come to work or you're unemployed.

BerettaCougar

There's always a transit worker who makes over a half-million a year. This is a guy who runs a subway or drives a bus mind you.

I know Tampa Florida is not as big as NYC, but...Bus drivers here make 13-15 dollars an hour...

How many hours must the driver work to make half of a million dollars a year????
Thats like...30 thousand hours....

Which is over a thousand two hundred days....

Which means...going by your scale, these guys are making... more than doctors?

Hard to swallow....proof please (as previously requested)

MHDIsHere

According to yesterdays newspaper, a train operator makes about $25 an hour straight time. That's average, the guys with seniority make more. Then there's time-and-a-half for OT, double time for weekends and holidays, etc. They'll pull 24 hour "shifts" (of which they may only work a few hours), the other guys will cover for him knowing that someone will cover for them in their last three years to boost their pensions.

I'll see if I can find the reference for the higest paid NYC employee somewhere, I read it a few months ago in the newspaper.

Sir William

There was once a proposal for LIRR train staff to be reduced. There was a review performed and LIRR found that they DID NOT have the funds to pay the retirement benefits. The whole scheme was scrapped and everything went on business as usual. I agree that automation/electronic passes should have resulted in staff reduction, it didn't due to the strong union. My own thought was that GM employees have the WRONG union bargaining for them!

jefnvk

The biggest problem I have with unions is the states that require you to join them for certain jobs.

And, if you strike, the company should have the option of replacing you.

mete

MHD is correct . This illegal practice [no one can actually work 24 hrs/day for a year ! ] has been going on for many years .Every once in a while someone makes a fuss over it but nothing changes. NYC public transportation system is very large and very efficient .Striking really does cripple the city.

Glock 31

Ok I know nothing about unions and strikes so someone please explain it to me. How is it possible for anyone, let alone a city government, to jail you or fine you, if you quit your job. I don't understand how in any way that is legal. If I quit my job that's my right, my city isn't going to jail me, my city wouldn't even know the difference. (I work in a hotel as a desk clerk). I'm pretty sure that my application stated that I or the company has the right to terminate employment at any time for any reason. So how is it possible for you to go to jail over this?:confused: :cool:

buzz_knox

How is it possible for anyone, let alone a city government, to jail you or fine you, if you quit your job. I don't understand how in any way that is legal. If I quit my job that's my right, my city isn't going to jail me, my city wouldn't even know the difference.

Because my accepting the job, you've entered into a contract with the gov't, and that penalty is one of the terms and conditions of the contract. If you don't like it, don't take the job.

Eghad

A union can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how managment and the union work together. if they have a productive workplace because both sides hold up there end of the deal...

usually greed and stupidity kill it tho on both sides of the house.

You would be suprised at the stupidity that runs rampant in some places with managment. Thier idea of managment is serfdom...lol.

I was an officer in a union local ... one of the things that came up for negotiation in later years bargaining was that the union and managment pay 50% for arbitrations each no matter who wins. Thats because before we went with loser pays all arbitration costs in other contracts. Which to me is better because it keeps the union members from bringing up stupid/sham cases before arbitration which holds costs down for the company and puts the cost on the union for bad complaints and wasting union officials time. However when you have a 100% win rate...because of managment stupidity...lol...they then wanted the 50-50 payout.

gb_in_ga

How is it possible for anyone, let alone a city government, to jail you or fine you, if you quit your job.
Well, if you just quit -- voluntary termination, you are off the payroll, in other words -- they can't, and you get to find another job. But if you strike -- remaining under the terms of your employment contract and yet violating it, remaining on the payroll, and yet are holding up management/the public for what amounts to extortion -- you betcha, especially when the contract specifies that such penalties may apply.

Weeg

I still have a CCW in Newyorkkistan...

Only high side, id the permit staes:

"Good Until Revoked"

Maybe that has changed, since I left NYS a long time ago

:eek:

Musketeer

I still have a CCW in Newyorkkistan...

Only high side, id the permit staes:

"Good Until Revoked"

Maybe that has changed, since I left NYS a long time ago

Watch it. That "good until revoked" assumes you are a NYS resident. Technically you must surrender it when moving out of state, or even to another county within NYS. If caught carrying on it you may be in for a sticky situation.

As far as my solution for the illegal strike, I say treat them like a Roman Legion found guilty of cowardice. The punishemnt was DECIMATION. One in every ten men was put to death at random. While we cannot put Transit Workers to death we can fire them! I say that if the union strikes Friday then Monday morning a number from 0 - 9 be announced. If the last digit of your SSN number is the number picked you are out! If they fail to show up on Tuesday the next day another number from 0 - 9 is chosen and of those who remain any whose second to last SSN number equals the chosen number is fired. Given the bloated size of the Transit Workers Union this should do two things.

1. Break the strike quickly.
2. Fix one of the major problems, having too many people on the payroll for the required jobs.

Glock 31

GB in Ga,

Thanks for the info, I understand now that unions operate under contracts rather than applications for employment. And that it is not complete termination of employment, rather than as you said, "extortion".:cool: