NY Plinking Areas

cnemeth

Does anyone know of anyplace in NY state where plinking is allowed? I live in NYC, and I have been looking for awhile for an area where plinking is allowed.

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

jimc

try the bqe.
but seriously the pine's out on the island or yup state but stay out of westchester cty

JJR

The last time I was in NYC some local lads did a little "plinking" outside my hotel. No one really seemed to notice but me. ;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Yes, but if you shoot at cans, they get you for littering. You have to shoot at cops, citizens, or other valid targets, not at muggers, drug dealers, armed robbers and other protected species.

Jim

Contender

Greetings from Putnam County NY.

Unless you have your own property in an area with a small population forget it. Those days are over. Most clubs don't allow it. Strictly paper punching or plates or something organized.

Every time you turn around,another range is getting closed up.

You'll need to move upstate. I know I am the first chance I get. Too many snobbers moving up here.

WOLF

As far as plinking is concerned.
You would be better off using the term target practice.
I will not give legal advice here, but I beleive last time I read the Fish & Game regulations it mentions using State land for hunting or target practice. Get a copy of the game laws, and or contact the NY state r Fish&Game or the NYS WEB site.If it reads like I think you can go to state land were HUNTING is legal and then set up for target practice.
YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A VALID HUNTING LICENSE IN YOUR POSETION.!
Make sure you establish a safe range for yourself, and comply with all the neccessary safety precautions....secure backstop,make sure NO one can aproach or wander into your makeshift shooting range, Designate someone to act as range officer and watch for any possible problems.....BE EXTREMELY VIGALANT...the STATE LANDS are used by Hikers and Fisherman, campers and Bird watchers...find a spot with a BIG SECURE BACKSTOP preferably away from any place normally frequented by others.
Walk around the WHOLE site...keep your distances short and controlled.
And above all else act responsibly, no high Jinks, no rapid fire,no BLOWING things up....use only firearms legal in state as well as amunition.
Clean up after yourself...leave no junk behind(Littering is a crime..they will ticket you)...and DO NOT damage any live trees or Plants.( BIG FINE).
You get the idea.....be smart ask first...turn down a good looking site if even one problem bothers you...find another..till you are OK.
And ask others in the area...They can sometimes tell you about an old Quarry or gravel pit were THEY..do all their PLINKING.

And If all else Fails...E-Mail me and maybee...you can join me at my cabin in the Catskills and we will ...shoot till your arms drop off on my land.!

Again - check into NYS Compendium Regulations.

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited August 04, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited August 04, 1999).]

othermarc

Wolf, taking a cue from your post...
Do any NY'ers (northern PA or Southern CT, too!) want to get together for a shoot? I've seen other TFL posts on the like, and frankly I've always been jealous. I always welcome an oppurtunity to shoot other guns and to let others shoot mine.
Just an idea.

------------------
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub