NY Permit Process

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I've heard lots of ideas on what should or should not be stated on an application in the "purpose" section.

I've been told NEVER mention self-defense because they'll deny the app based on "We don''t need vigilantes"

I've been told that I MUST mention self defense or they will deny a concealed carry based on not needing to conceal for any other reason.

Any suggestions? New York specific would be good. Broome County specific would be GREAT.

Thanks

mikejonestkd

I was told by the Monroe county clerks office Pistol permit clerk to list any and all possible uses for a handgun - targets, hunting, self defense, homeland security...and so on..

The rational that was given was that if you actually use a handgun in self defense when you only have ' targets and hunting ' listed as reasons for owning a handgun then you can be in hot water. In that case, as I was told, you were neither hunting or target shooting when you fired on a bad guy, therefore you would be carrying outside the conditions of the permit.

I have never heard of a case where this was an issue though, I suggest going down to the county clerk's office and asking someone that KNOWS, and by that I mean NOT the desk attendant...LOL

Good luck!!

add: here's their number and business hours:

Pistol Permit Office: 607.778.2113
Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, I talked to them by phone once and I've heard that the girl is quite friendly and helpful AND that the process is fairly quick (by NY standards), about 6-8 weeks.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I hear many such stories, interestingly, state law mandates that the process CANNOT take more than 6 months....
applications for licenses must be acted upon within 6 months after presentment. If there is a delay, there must be written notice to the applicant stating the reasons. Such delay may be only for "good cause."
Also interesting to me...the statute provides that the failure of the FBI to process fingerprints is not a good cause for delay.

A friend of mine in Cortland county actually had to go to the office and tell them "Either issue the permit or deny it so I can sue you, I'm not waiting any longer." He had his permit in 1 week. He had waited about 8 months also at that point.

TPAW

I've been told NEVER mention self-defense because they'll deny the app based on "We don''t need vigilantes"

I've been told that I MUST mention self defense or they will deny a concealed carry based on not needing to conceal for any other reason.

Any suggestions? New York specific would be good. Broome County specific would be GREAT.

I use to review applications for concealed carry. It was naturally assumed that the applicant wanted it for self defense do to his /her explanation for wanting it. Job description had much to do with it. Carried large sums of money as part of employment, doctors office storing prescription drugs, store owner robbed more than once, jeweler carrying precious gems, etc. Hope this helps.