Nra Isp

mparris71

Hi,
Just checking out the NRA's Website and noticed that they have a internet Service that has a local number for me. have any of you guys have them as your Internet provider. If so let me know how you like it. I am sending 19.95 a month anyways to my current ISP, If the service is as good I would be glad to be sending to the NRA insead.
Thanks
MP

Guy B. Meredith

I've been using the NRA ISP with few issues. I am also using Outdoors Unlimited (outdrs.net) and will eventually drop one or the other based on performance. Outdoors Unlimited donates part of the fee to the NRA or other organizations.

As a side note I am using Marathon/Frontier for telephone toll service and they contribute part of my payment to the NRA and the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

45nut

bump^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm interested in learning more about this too. Anyone else out there given it a try? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? :D

Erich

Rather than download a pig in a poke from the website, I called the number listed for the free CD-ROM (and contract - my main concern). Talked to a very nice woman up in Canada - where the company is apparently located. (Hmm. NRA and a pro-gun company in Canada ?) It took a while on the phone for them to get their act together, but she promised me I'd have the disc shortly.

The Canucks never sent me the CD-ROM as promised (I write this a couple of months later - tho perhaps some modern-day Laura Secord is still riding the disc down to the USA), so I gave up the idea of switching ISPs.

Oh well, I tried.

pahighlander

Blackhawk - yes, it's dial-up only

Not a big deal to me as that's the only service available in rural PA. (except satellite which costs way too much).

Is reliability and connection times good with the NRA ISP? I currently pay the same amout every month to Verizon and I'd much rather see a portion of that amount go to a pro gun organization. I spend 100+ hours online a month from home and run two websites so good connections and reliability are critical.

More experiences and opinions please!

Blackhawk

Why do you need a cd-rom for a dial-up connection? Do they have their own "special" browser like AOL or something?
Probably. I've tried several dialup ISPs for my latop when on the road. They rent POP (Point Of Presence) local phone numbers from networks like CompuServe and go through a head-pat-tummy-rub to connect you. Basically, you can't connect without their script program that verifies you. However, once you're connected, any browser will work, even with AOL.

There's no reason they couldn't let you just download the software, but none of them do to my knowledge. Guess they're setup to just sign up "NEW" Internet users.

mparris71

NRA

There is a link that you can Download the Software off the NRA's page. www.mynra.com the software deal is a turn off for me. I like IE just fine. Blackhawk is right you should be able to set IE or Netscape to NRA's setting and it work just fine.