NRA behaving like HCI and CPHV against progun site?

John/az2

I don't know if this has been posted yet...

http://guned.com/pages/news.htm

National Rifle Association of America
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
September 5, 2002

Mike G.
Address Omitted
via: Certified Mail

Dear Mr. G:

NRA owns the trademark "TheArmedCitizen," which was registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on December 29, 1992, and assigned registration number 1,743,094. Federal law, at 15 U.S.C. 1-51, et seq. requites the owner of a trademark to defend the mark against unlicensed use. You are using "thearmedcitizen.com" which infringes our mark. We are prepared to offer you compensation for your out of pocket costs incurred in registering domain name, up to three hundred ($300.00) dollars. If you refuse to transfer the domain name to us for the amount we offered, we will file a complaint in arbitration under the Uniform Domain Names Resolution Policy adopted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICCON).

Please understand that we do not do this out of malice. We are required by law to protect our marks. I have examined the files and records of the NRA and find no record of a license granted to you to use the mark.

Sincerely,
(signed)
James H. Warner
Assistant General Counsel
----------------------------------------------

GUNED.COM® is APPALLED at the behavior of the NRA! They are using the same tactics our enemies use! Threats and intimidation! First off all, if the NRA was so stupid in NOT reserving TheArmedCitizen.com when they had the chance, that's too bad, because current law states "Free Enterprise" for the use of domain names.

Plus, TheArmedCitizen.net is also taken by a private company. The NRA didn't even reserve NRA.com! Here is Mike G's email: mike@thearmedcitizen.com E-mail him to show your support. Mike makes NO MONEY off his website, and promotes the NRA!

Here is Mike's e-mail back to the NRA:
September 22, 2002

Gents,

I've received a letter from one James H. Warner, Assistant General Counsel at the NRA. It is duplicated below and demands that I surrender my registered domain to the NRA for an absurd figure, a pittance.

While I understand the issues of protection of trademark, I am grievously offended by this correspondence from the bastion of Pro-Gun thinking, lobbying and the leader in right-minded thinking about guns against someone on the same side. Please advise who I may contact by e-mail so this matter can be addressed faster than by use of regular US Mail.

Best Regards,

Mike G.

It's called mark protection, and I'd say that the owner of GUNED.COM doesn't understand the issue of mark protection if he's yelping about it.

ANY intelligent organization protects its registered marks. In the past NRA has done the same thing with its logo and other registered marks. It HAS to. The National Rifle Association cannot, and should not, be faulted for protecting its trademarked property.

But they're on our side, right? So that makes it OK for them to use the mark, even though they don't own it, right?

Unfortunatly, wrong.

The courts don't consider the nature of the organization that uses another group's mark if it ever becomes an issue.

They only consider how vigorously the owner "defended" the mark.

If there exists a pattern of uncontested use, an organization can actually LOSE its exclusive rights to the mark.

The most famous example of this is Coca-Cola.

Coke once owned the mark on Cola independent of Coca-Cola (which they also owned).

When Pepsi came along, they started using Cola as well in their name.

For years Coke did nothing about it. Until Pepsi started to become a serious threat to Coke.

Then Coke sued over mark infringement, saying that the word Cola was their property, and asking for an injunction against Pepsi.

Pepsi successfully argued that Coke had known of Pepsi's use of the word Cola for years, had done absolutely nothing about it, and by that inaction, had allowed their mark on the word Cola to expire.

The courts agreed with Pepsi, and stated that since Coke had allowed uncontested use of the word Cola, their mark was null and void, and Cola entered public domain.

In order to preserve the exclusivity of mark, the owner MUST take on all comers, whether friend or foe.

Would any of us REALLY like to see HCI or MMM get ahold of "The Armed Citizen" and start a column of their own featuring gangbanger murderers and family killers, with the tagline "Armed citizens are responsible for over 50,000 deaths by firearms every year. Please help put a stop to the carnage blah blah blah." And yes, a third party can contest a mark citing uncontested prior use.

If GUNED.COM wants to USE "The Armed Citizen," they should apply for a license and protect what they're attempting to do, instead of endanger it.

The fact that NRA didn't get NRA.COM has little to no bearing on mark registration. A LOT of organizations and celebrities didn't get "their" web names because of cybersquatters recognizing what the web would be before corporate entities did.

Last edited:

Jim March

Mike pegged it.

I can add only one bit: recently, some people on our side have had a lot of fun finding grabber corporation names that had expired and took 'em over. Really pissed 'em off good. So they'd LOVE to find an unprotected NRA trademark such as "thearmedcitizen".

In other words, Mike isn't talking about a "theoretical danger", he's talking about a serious possibility.

John/az2

That's why I placed the question mark at the end of the title of this thread. I was not sure.

Thanks for the responses, and the education!

FPrice

It appears to me that the NRA, by the tone and words of their letter have tried to resolve the situation peacefully rather than by brute force and threats. And they have clearly stated their position and reasons for such.

Seems to me that someone had a cute idea that they wanted to try out and unfortunately ran afoul of the legitimate laws safeguarding trademark ownership and wants to throw a tantrum about it.

Not sure of what your point is, Tamara. You think I'm actually going to cheer HCI?

Liberty's fight with HCI covers somewhat different ground, as others note. And HCI blinked, and changed its name.

From my readings, there's actually two ways a court could come down on that specific issue -- either agreeing that the site is parody and satire, and thus is protected use (Jerry Falwell found that out when he took on Hustler magazine and lost), or the courts could find that even though satire, the aims of the organization are so counter to the originating organization that it in fact dilutes the mark owner's message and purpose.

In other words, two valid interpretations, and two possible outcomes. To the best of my knowledge, both stances have been successfully argued, but neither has been to the Supreme Court.

But when you get right down to it, it's still a case of one group defending its marks against friends and/or foes. As I noted, the law makes NO distinction between the two -- it looks only at how long others used the registered mark before the owner stepped in to claim it back.

Because of that, NRA has NO choice but to defend its mark against all comers, or possibly lose it.

Fred S

The NRA is right on this one and they are being good about it too. They even offered to pay for the domain name.

FPrice

Mike Irwin...

"Not sure of what your point is, Tamara."

I think she's flirtin' with ya, Mike. After that pic you posted in the "Rogue's Gallery" with yer dawg, you should expect to get that all the time. :rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious note, I think there is no comparison between the in-depth idea you posted on this thread and your short, humorous reply in the HCI thread. In this case there was a clear effort at using a trademarked name for a website address which backfired, or at least, did not work out as the individual thought it would.

Stand your ground (and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot!).

GUNED.COM

Reply To All

First of all, you all need to study the Patent and Trademark laws before you make ignorant statements. GUNED™ and all our members are members of the NRA and support the NRA.

Our Member Mike G. has done NOTHING wrong with the registration of his domain name. He has not infringed on any Mark whatsoever. The current law states that any name in the ICCAN register is “Open” for purchase.

A perfect example of this was with CHPV – Center for the Prevention of Handgun Violence. WWW.CPHV.COM . They were threatened and taken to court over the registration of this name and won a very nasty battle might I add with these idiot anti gun people. They DID NOT register the “Dot Com” and lost, just as the NRA will lose also.

Here is my company website, and some of the issues we handle including Patent and Trademark rights: http://www.siteapproved.com/policy.htm

So let’s get it together TFL.

Mike W. Smith
GUNED™
Guns Unified Nationally Endorsing Dignity

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
...and folks wonder why Glock registered "Glock.com" several years before they actually did a website.

All's fair in love and domain name registration.

I wonder how many hits TFL gets from folks looking for Bill Buckley transcripts? ;)

From the filing against Washington Ceasefire and HCI:
11. LIBERTY further believes that the Defendants have no legal rights to place any restrictions on LIBERTY’s use of words and phrases commonly used in everyday English parlance and that such words and phrases are not subject to service mark or other regulatory protection.

It would appear that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander...

Jeeper

Guned.com

Mike,

There are plenty of laws that govern cybersquatting.

For example the ACPA or 15 USC 1125(d)

Although they mainly protect against companies out for the purpose of making money by registering names they have been used to protect trademarks before. You dont have to be the first to the name to have the right to it.

If the person who had registered then name originally had intended to sell it to the NRA for profit then the NRA could easily win. I am not saying who will win this but the NRA would have a case and it is not cut and dry against them.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone know the NRA's policy on licensing their marks? An amicable solution might still be reached if the NRA would license "TheArmedCitizen" to Mike G. for a reasonable amount.

I wonder if this will eventually affect El Jefe over at TheArmedCitizen.net?

Jim March

I would predict that the NRA won't license the trademark. They wouldn't be able to assert control if the site turned into "NRA bash central" the way KABA is now and JPFO/GOA have flirted with in the past.

The NRA is *very* careful with their "corporate image", most of the reasons for that I agree with. I won't get into details because there's a lot of "heat" in that issue on both sides.

arwoodsr

Mike is doing a good job for the cause. If he beat out our friends on the domain name, they certainly do not hold with there promise. Always ready. I am in the same boat Vtwin holdings wich is mother Harly is using my domain name vtwin.net, and I will not take a 300.00 dollar buy out. So more power to Mike.;)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Jim March,

They wouldn't be able to assert control if the site turned into "NRA bash central" the way KABA is now and JPFO/GOA have flirted with in the past.

So, hypothetically speaking, it would be okay for John/az2 to use "CPHV.com" to lampoon, satirize, and denounce CPHV, but if Mike G. uses "armedcitizen.com" to do anything but toady up to the NRA, then that'd be illegal?

Hmm. Guess that makes sense... or something.

Jim March

Well actually, that's a good point. Mike could change the focus of the sight to parody of the NRA, and *possibly* get away with it.

But he'd lose my respect :barf:.