NPR Story on the 1911

B. Lahey

I was just driving on the highway, listening to a show called Studio 360 on NPR when in between stories about musicians (it's an arts and music show, I think) I hear something that started out like:

"John Browning designed the Government Model of 1911 pistol in..." or something like that.

It was pretty interesting. They had Gary James do a rundown on the history and design of the 1911 and talked about it for quite a while.

I was impressed. NPR is unlikely to skew most things, but guns are different. Their liberal feelings tend to come out in a big way. Usually an NPR host can't even say the word "gun" without their voice quivering like a preacher talking about the devil. When Heller came out they had a million interviews with pinkos screeching about how it was the end of the world, with only one or two sound-bites from gun rights advocates.

So this thing came out of left field for me. It was a totally fact-based story about a classic firearm design stuffed in between some random hipster music segments. Neat.

Did anyone else get a chance to hear it?

Check it out, you can listen to it on this page:
http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2008/07/04

B. Lahey

Bump.

Not many NPR listeners around here, I guess.

I should have said it was from WorldNetDaily, then everyone would have jumped all over it.

Snackycake

Missed it

I saw on another forum someone mentioned it too.

I like listening to NPR. There are talents and venues that just aren't expressed anywhere else. It isn't only guns that get them riled up and looking left though.

Still, shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater I guess.

I would have been pleased to hear it.

Good report. Thanks for the link. I like NPR but thier truly fair and balanced reporting (not like the fake "fair and balanced" angle of Fox where "fair" means biased and "balanced" means fabricated) gets a bit boring. Not enough of the theatrics that modern audiences are used to hearing. :)

Firepower!

I use to listen NPR everyday when I was in the US. There was something about listing to NPR in the morning while drinking coffe and driving to law school, and back.

Unfortunately this file is too big for my mobile phone to handle.

Hornett

The guy actually said "45 acp is a good stopper" :eek:

Can you say that on NPR?

Good report.
Thanks for the link.

auberg

Not only did I use to listen to NPR. I actually worked at the local station for over 10 years. I only stopped listening because I only hear the mistakes and not the programming. Yes, I was into guns back then too.

vox rationis

Firearms expert Gary James explains why a pistol made a century ago is still being used by American forces and law enforcement. Produced by
Dennis Nishi.

errr...notice they don't mention CIVILIANS!

Bloody collectivist elitist fascists if you ask me :p

OldShooter

NPR

I listen to my local NPR every day for the news on the way in to work, at lunch and on the drive home. On weekends they have some pretty good programing. When I don't like what they are doing, I just plug in a CD. I have even been known to send them money! But I have never heard a factual, non "histerical" discussion on guns on that frequency, Wow!

KyJim

I listen to NPR off and on (still miss Bob Edwards) but calling them fair and balanced is like calling the Pope Jewish. I figured that out a long time ago when they reported that something like 85% of the people in a survey supported entry into the first Gulf War. They then proceeded to do "man in the street" interviews with something like 5 straight anti-war believers to get their reaction. You have to learn to listen with a discriminating ear and a discriminating mind.

Thanks for the link, BTW.

Auberg said:
I only stopped listening because I only hear the mistakes and not the programming.
I understand. I worked myself through college doing radio in some small towns with one of my degrees in Mass Communications. I ended up in a different career but loved it. However, for many years, I was a channel surfer trying to catch the commercials in order to critique production.

tipoc

A good little report.

I haven't run across this program before, it may only play here on the weekends. I generally only listen to the radio when I'm driving. Then it's usually NPR. A few years back the show "This American Life" with Ira Glass did an excellent piece on people and hunting. Several people told hunting stories. Very good piece.

NPR is useful, the only place I can hear the BBC world report.

I was in Ireland a few weeks ago and their local and national news is presented straightforward without the talking heads joking and giggling at each other, it was refreshing.

tipoc