Now you see it , now you don't

paratrooper

While in AZ a couple of years ago I happened upon a fella at a Business Expo . As you all know AZ has an open carry law . Of course there are certain exceptions but for the most part you can "pack". Now this fella had an auto in a holster outside of his shirt . He was also wearing a vest . Now the strange part . With this vest on you could see his weapon part of the time but at certain angles it was hidden by the vest . Concealed or not ???

croyance

I don't know. I have always been curious. What about when you cover up because of the rain or cold? If you started out open carrying and did not have another holster to expose your gun to view, do you have to go cold and/or wet?

dev_null

Similar to a related question I've had for some time and never gotten the definitive answer to:

In VA, you cannot legally CCW in an establishment that serves liquor, but you can open carry. Does this mean I can simply tuck my shirt under my IWB, thus exposing the top of the holster and everything from the trigger on back, and be legal?

- 0 -

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Under Ohio's new law, CCW permit holders can carry concealed, but this permit does not preclude one from carrying openly. (The SC of Ohio has affirmed this right.) I interpret this law to mean that a permit holder can carry openly, or concealed, or anything in between. One should just be smart about how one carries in any given situation. For most social situations concealed is smarter.

In a motor vehicle, CHL holders must carry in plain sight (if they carry on their person). Non-CHL holders must have firearms and ammo stored separately and not accessible without exiting the vehicle. So if I were a CHL holder I would be able to carry openly anywhere not prohibited by law, including in a car or on a motorcycle.

So as to the questions, "Concealed or not?" I would answer: "Doesn't matter!" :)

Last edited:

Ironbarr

dev_null...

I believe that would work, but... We (VCDL) have, and continue to work to get the CCW ban (restaurants, etc. serving alcohol) repealed - almost had a shot this past session.

I'd suggest that you visit http://vcdl.org (if you haven't yet). There, among the VCDL officers you'll find Philip Van Cleeve (President). He should be a main authority on what is and isn't re open carry, since he and others do so on "various" occasions (so to speak).

Let us know what you find out. Also, to keep up on happenings around the state, you might want to join the free maillist VA Alert.

(Shameless plug)

-Andy

jimpeel

Concealed or unconcealed is determined by the rational person test:

Would a rational person, upon observing the object, be able to determine that the object in question is a firearm?

Yes = unconcealed

No = concealed

jimpeel

Standing Wolf

Actually, concealed or unconcealed doesn't matter in open carry states.
Ah, but you err, Mon Frere. I live in NE and if I carry concealed, I get a free trip to Lincoln with free room and board. We have no concealed carry law nor a premit process.

dev_null

> Actually, concealed or unconcealed doesn't matter in open carry states.

Actually, this is inaccurate at best, and dead wrong in many states. There are different laws governing each, and they vary from state to state. If you read my question above, you can see but one example.

- 0 -