Now why would anyone want to get a pistol calibered rifle?

FS2K

Because they are fun.

They don't need another reason to exist. I am a big Carbine fan, so it's only natural that I would include a pistol calibered Carbines to my collection. Currently I only have a pair of 9mm's but I surely wouldn't mind one chambered in .45 ACP.

In allot of ways, these cabines make sense especially when chambered in the same caliber ammunition as your sidearm. In an emergency you could 'borrow' rounds from whichever isn't being used at the time to feed the one that is. In some cases, some of these carbines use the same magazines as their handgun counterparts. I personally don't own one of these, but they do make sense; Only one type of magazine to carry for backup in an emergency type situation.

The longer barrels of the carbines can only do to improve the performance of whatever round they are chambered for. Literally unheard of velocities for these handgun loads can be achieved by simply shooting them out of a 16" barrel. But that's just the techincal stuff.

Pistol calibered Carbines are seriously fun to shoot. First off they have next to no recoil at all and due to their generally smaller overall sizes they handles extremely well and FAST making accurate multi-shot hits easy if not expected.

My 2 9mm Carbines couldn't be further apart in purpose, function, and style. My first is my Bobcat BW89PDW (HK MP5K clone). I am very fond of this gun, and it is one of my favorites in my collection. With its 5.5" barrel this gun is basically a pistol with a rear stock (had it not been for it's 9" fake surpressor).
The added control the rear stock is surprising, and cool! It allows me to blast away; ACCURATELY. :) Add that to it's crisp trigger and reliability and this gun has firmly secured its place as one of my fav's.

Next comes my akward, heavy, weird looking Masterpiece Arms MPA971 9mm carbine. I imagine trying to explain what it is, is allot like the first European explorers returning from Australlia trying to describe a Platapus.

The MPA971 has the upper receiver, bolt, and barrel assembly of a Cobray MAC11...the Lower Receiver/Trigger assy & stock of an FN FAL Battle Rifle, magazine well of a Suomi Submachinegun and the forend grip of an AR15.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

This gun is HEAVY. I'm talking Rosie O'donnel/Oprah at their prime HEAVY. Being chambered in 9mm I bought the gun with the intention to use it as a carry along rifle for hiking, but as soon as I picked it up I knew that this was out of the question. So instead, I set the gun up like a full-sized MIDRANGE target rifle! LOL! I added a Cobray quick release Faux silencer for more barrel weight, a Bipod, and a 3 x 9 x 50mm scope on it, and it has since proven itself to be a really fun (and cheap shooting) gun to do some accuracy shooting with. 9mm rounds remain decently priced. To be real honest, this gun has no potential to be anything else in my opinion. It is WAY too heavy to be considered for a defense gun or pack rifle, and even if someone would consider breaking it down into SBR configuration it would still be too heavy.

Anyway, pistol calibered carbines are popular now for a reason. They offer long gun action that can be used at most ranges, they are relatively inexpensive to shoot, and their mild manners make them fun for the whole family to shoot. I for one like 'em!

Odd Job

Anyway, pistol calibered carbines are popular now for a reason. They offer long gun action that can be used at most ranges, they are relatively inexpensive to shoot, and their mild manners make them fun for the whole family to shoot. I for one like 'em!

That's a good enough reason right there.
Of course I would probably own one or two already, if the powers that be would only let me do so! (We can't have semi-auto centerfire weapons here).

FS2K

WOW, I didn't realize that OJ.

Are there any limitations to the type of Rimfire guns you can own also?

FS2K

Hey Quack!

Masterpiece Arms makes one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79912478

Olympic Arms is still making their .45 ACP AR15 varient (K45)

http://www.olyarms.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/ar15-carbines/full-k10.jpg

Beretta has a .45 ACP varient of thier Storm rifles

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80056918

You can still get HK USC's like this one;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79828699

And I'm pretty sure Vector Arms are still producing their .45 ACP UZI varients.

I suppose you could get any one of these threaded for your Gemtech.

MMcfpd

FS2K

WOW! Thanks for the input MMcfpd!

It's appreciated!

I've never even seen a Reising before! Thanks for the link.

Odd Job

@ FS2K

Rimfires are okay in Semi-auto, in fact I have an R55 Benchmark.
But centerfires in semi = evil :(

FS2K

That sucks OJ...

But look at it this way, you'll never go broke buying Ammo!

Are your Carbines 16" barreled Wyr? I REALLY like the look of those!

Tom2

Marlin 357, mine shoots full power rounds with the heavier bullets accurately. I sighted it in at 100 yards and from the groups I got with the crude brass bead and notch sights, I can tell that it might get close to moa with a scope on it. Using Fiocchi 142gr FMJ pointed bullets. The S&B FMJ 158's not quite as accurate but both brands are cheap for plinking purposes. No recoil to speak of either.

Slidestop

In the empire of Illinois we must be circumspect, Rossi m 92s in .357/.38spl and 44magnums/44spl would/is my choice. The lever action look as opposed to the Black rifle look in this nervous State makes more sense. Can't give away too much. Great for hunting and for personal business.

FirstFreedom

Because they are fun.

You said it brutha. Of all the rifles I have, the one LEAST justified in terms of use, far and away, is my pistol caliber semi-auto carbine. It's a mech-tech with a glock 20 frame dedicated solely to it - 10mm - with an ESD on it (dot sight). But it's just flat out fun, so every time I think I might want to sell it, I end up keeping it.

My working theory on 9mm carbines is that, since they're for FUN and not work, then forget about immaculate functionality and go with either:

a) Low cost (i.e. Hi-Point), or
b) High capacity, to maximize the fun factor - that means either the Calico or something that takes the 71 round suomo mag, like the MPA971. As heavy as the 971 is, recoil would be virtually non-existent. That means you could rip off 71 rounds VERY quickly holding the rifle on target for a tight little group. Makes it the definition of a Lead Hose. :) The Calico or MPA would be *really* cool in full auto, obviously, but our government has abridged that right unfortunately.

But also, in addition to sheer fun, the recent thread by the Fla. resident lamenting the lack of gun ranges where necked cartridges from rifles are allowed (pistol cal rifles only are allowed at the local ranges), then that could make a pistol cal carbine of necessity a true "working gun", due to the need to practice and the practical impediment to practicing with a "real rifle" firing a full or intermediate powered cartridge.

cptmclark

Another reason to exist

In our rather backward midwestern no-breech-loading-rifle-allowed-for-deer state, the generous politicos now allow rifles, but they must be chambered for pistol cartridges. Case length 1.625 max, caliber 357 min.
Sooo, my unfulfilled craving for a Marlin 1894 has an excuse to be fulfilled. Now that I've gotten excited, ready to buy, and picked out my hearts desire, I can't find one, yet. It is the Marlin 1894, straight stock, octagonal barrel, rifle lenght, in 41 mag, and hopefully with checkered stocks. Reason for th3 41, in addition to the ballistics, is that there are some dandy wildcats that would only require rechambering to a bottleneck 41 pistol round.

I'd appreciate info on where to locate these, I think it was called the 1894CCL, or maybe that was carbine length. Also, somebody help me with ballard slow rifling vs micro-groove fast rifleing for accuriacy preference using lighter bullets at high velocity.

MosinM38

A few good reasons.
#1 reason.

50 Rounds of 9MM=$7.99
20 Rounds of comparable Rifle ammo=$6.50(Cheapest. Wolf FMJ) to $9.89.
#2. Dad has a .44 Winchester 94 for Cat (Mountain Lion) hunting. Although he used a .22-250 at the time he has sworn that if he ever goes hunting again that .44 Mag will do the honors.

PLus. They are just a blast :D Haven't owned one But I shot a Marlin 9MM and that was fun. Like shooting a big .22 :D:D

kevanr

I have a Beretta CX4 Storm in .40 amd I absolutely love it. It uses the same magazines as the 92/96 pistols. ProMag makes some 20 round .40 magazines for the 96, which work great in my Storm!

FS2K

Yup, ALL of those carbines are fun.

The lever actions are also real cool too when you have a matching 6 shooter on your side to share ammo with!

Those stroms do look fun to shoot. Besides .40 SW seems perfect for it too since they kick so damn much in handguns.

USNairman

My deer gun is a Ruger 96/44 which (obviously) shoots the wonderful 44mag cartridge. A lot cheaper to shoot than my old Rem 870 12ga and a lot easier on the old shoulder too. :)