Now This is Scary

wachtelhund1

Today I stopped in my local gun shop just to chat. The owner told me his FFL expired last Saturday. He had sent in his renewal, but instead of receiving a FFL renewal, he got a letter on Monday saying he could continue to conduct business. He called around and found out BATF is not renewing any FFL's. Appears they are waiting for either the general election outcome in November or a ruling on the 2nd Ammendment by the Supreme Court. Anybody hear the same thing?

PT111

I would have to have more proof before I believe that story. Something is rotten in Denmark or where ever that store is.

BillCA

*sniff* what's that funny smell? BAT(f) S***?

Your FFL needs to do several things.
1. Make copies of that letter. One in the biz, one with his corporate lawyer, one at home and two in safety deposit boxes.

2. Have his lawyer research the laws and write a letter to BATF requesting the specific reason for non-renewal.

3. Be alert (and alert his staff) to watch for any suspicious purchaser activity or "repair" activity. BATmen have been known to attempt strawman purchases against dealers with "extension letters" in order to deny renewal.

wachtelhund1

What state are you in?

Sounds like he's not giving you the full story...

I live in WI and have no reason to doubt the gun shop owner. His gun shop is in a small rural community of maybe 600 people, not even in the town, out in the sticks.

wachtelhund1

3. Be alert (and alert his staff) to watch for any suspicious purchaser activity or "repair" activity. BATmen have been known to attempt strawman purchases against dealers with "extension letters" in order to deny renewal.

I been in his store when he has had customers come in, not local, and as soonas they left he mentioned he thought they were BATF.

Dave

Did you see this actual letter or did he just tell you about it?

I live in WI and have no reason to doubt the gun shop owner. His gun shop is in a small rural community of maybe 600 people, not even in the town, out in the sticks.

That is interesting you don't doubt him. Just why would they be awaiting the outcome of the election in November? It has no bearing on anything in regard to the AFT and the laws in place right now.

Waiting on the DC case? What does that have to do with his renewal and the laws in place right now?

This is why people think you aren't getting the whole story...like maybe he reapplied late and is just too embarrassed to say so.

I been in his store when he has had customers come in, not local, and as soonas they left he mentioned he thought they were BATF.

Well if they ain't local, then they must be feds! Sounds like small town paranoia.

Anybody hear the same thing?

No, because it is a made up story.

wachtelhund1

Called around where? To the ATF other dealers? I see no where in here that you said that they rejected his reapplication.
No they did not reject his application and they didn't renew it either. Just send a letter saying he could continue to conduct business. I didn't see the letter or application. I was just asking if anyone else has heard of similiar ATF actions.