Now THIS is my kind of woman!

skeeter1

Wife clubs big cat with log after husband is attacked in California state park
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:33 p.m. ET Jan 26, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO - Wildlife officials credited a woman with saving her husband's life by clubbing a mountain lion that attacked him while the couple were hiking in a California state park.

Jim and Nell Hamm, who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next month, were hiking in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park when the lion pounced, officials said Thursday.

"He didn't scream. It was a different, horrible plea for help, and I turned around, and by then the cat had wrestled Jim to the ground," Nell Hamm said in an interview from the hospital where her husband was recovering from a torn scalp, puncture wounds and other injuries.

After the attack, game wardens closed the park about 320 miles north of San Francisco and released hounds to track the lion. They later shot and killed a pair of lions found near the trail where the attack happened.

The carcasses were flown to a state forensics lab to determine if either animal mauled the man.

Although the Hamms are experienced hikers, neither had seen a mountain lion before Jim Hamm was mauled, his wife said. Nell Hamm said she grabbed a four-inch-wide log and beat the animal with it, but it would not release its hold on her husband's head.

"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,'" she said. "So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would."

When the pen bent and became useless, Nell Hamm went back to using the log. The lion eventually let go and, with blood on its snout, stood staring at the woman. She screamed and waved the log until the animal walked away.

skeeter1

What kind of hippie hikers carry a pen instead of a knife?

Yes, I must admit I did a lot of backing in my time, and I didn't always carry a sidearm depending on where I was (e.g., a National park), but I ALWAYS carried a decent knife. To me that's just a no-brainer. Even the little 2" lock-blade knife that I use for opening envelopes would be better than a pen. The 4" folding hunting knife with a belt sheath that my dad gave me for Christmas some 40 years ago, went with me on every backpacking or hunting trip I ever took.

Rembrandt

.....probably heard the old saying "The pen is mightier than the sword".... (after this incident they might want to re-think that one).

BillCA

Note that it happened in a California State Park where firearms are not permitted. Of course the State will ignore any notion that they have an obligation to protect people they rendered defenseless. They'll say it's a "rare event". The Brady Bunch will tell you carrying a gun there is too dangerous as you'll shoot your hiking partner by accident, or only escalate the situation, or the cat will take the gun from you and use it against you.

The environmentalists will blame the Hamms for interacting and interfering with the natural order of things -- state parks are for preserving nature, not interacting with it. :barf:

Last time I was in a state park (10 years ago), a bear ambled around the edges of a campground. People banged pots & pans to shoo the bear, who ignored them and proceeded to rip open a metal Coleman ice chest and help himself before walking off. I was appalled that the rangers threatened to issue citations to people who had armed themselves with mostly chef's knives and a few hunting knives (for "brandishing a weapon in campgrounds").

To hell with that noise...that's why I prefer to use national forests for recreational camping now. At least I can protect my campsite from maurading predators.

NecroMonkey

Poor kitty

I think it's odd that they killed a pair of mountain lions over the whole thing. Pardon me if I'm being stupid here, but aren't large cats like that designed to kill things? That's what I always thought. And the punishment doesn't fit the crime. The should have found the one with club marks and just mauled it a little bit. :D

robc

I don't think they even needed to be punished. Since there were two lions, that means one lion saw the other get his a@% kicked by an old lady with a branch. How embarassing must that have been? I can just hear the conversation afterwards... "Easy meal huh Charlie? 'Hey, watch me get this hiker!' Boy, you really got em!"

blume357

I know I sound crazy, and yes I would have fought for my life

or my spouse's... but I would consider it an honor to be eaten by a mountain lion. It's the 'hippy' part in me. Much better than dieing on the freeway or in a hospital plugged up to machines.