Now they are saying the Anthrax death in FL was intentional

lonegunman

Watching MSNBC with Brian Williams, about 12:30 AM... experts seem to be leaning toward the anthrax situation in Florida being intentional. Ashcroft says this could become a criminal investigation, the FBI is looking for a summer intern that worked at the newspaper office where this happened.

They think it was perhaps transmitted through a booby trapped piece of mail.

This is in direct contrast to what they were saying 48 hrs ago...

You know how they have been saying its hard to grow Anthrax and convert it to spores? I just heard former Asst Defense Secretary Sue Bailey (never heard of her before) say this can be done "fairly easily"...

They did note that delivering anthrax by means of the mail or crop dusters would be "horribly inefficient", but this would seem to be of little consequence to the DEAD guy down there...

ICBentley

Best info I have is that Antrax can be cultured, caused to produce spores and then the spores stored and transported more easily than most effective bio weapons.

Certain animal products from some countries are banned from import because they can carry Anthrax spores. For example, don't buy goat skin souveneirs in Hati.

Would still take a fairly competent lab and technician to produce mass weapon amounts. If the tech did not want to die in the attempt.

Treatment for wild strains is massive amounts of injected pennicillin and prophylaxis for penn resistant warfare strains is Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 500mg twice daily until you get three doses of vaccine or for sixty days. That's about $500 worth of Cipro, just in case you plan to go ask your local doctor to prescribe prophylactic doses for your family.

Bentley

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
There has never been any doubt in my mind that the anthrax attack has been anything but intentional.

We now downplay the effects of their attacks just as they are currently downplaying the effects of our attacks. Freedom of the press is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that the terrorists did this prior to leaving for the East coast. They (apparently) were fairly inept in their spreading of this spore, so it won't have the widespread deadly effects that they probably hoped it might have.

Nonetheless, an American man is dead due to the intentional use of a biological weapon by terrorists.

Don't let this one go. This is big-time baby. There will be hell to pay in Afghanistan. :mad:

E505

Don't let this one go. This is big-time baby. There will be hell to pay in Afghanistan.

The FBI has told the AP they are looking for an Sudaniese (sp?) intern who worked at American Media, also sources cited by the AP said the FBI is looking into a known strain of weaponized Anthrax that the CDC found Iraq to be in possesion of during the days of UN weapons inspections.

While it is a fairly easy strain to make, the only place to currently have it is Iraq.

This according to the AP, via Orlando Salinias (sp?) on Fox News a short time ago.

Hard_Case

I don't think we should jump to conclusions just yet. Yes, the possibility of this being a natural occurance is very low, and the offices are very near an airfield where some of the terrorists trained.....but there still is no solid evidence uncovered which links this to those specific terrorists. Also, as I understand it, the second 'case' of anthrax was not entirely proven. I'm sure we'll find out more soon.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, do not the 'rules of warfare' state that once an entity uses a biochem weapon against their opponent, their opponent is then considered in the legal sense to be justified in the use of biochem weapons as a response? I wonder what nasties we can find that'll filter down into the caves......

E505

Yes Hard_Case, it is time to come to conclusions, the FBI has.

The second case of Anthrax has been proven and the FBI is now calling it "foul play", not a naturally occuring item...

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Federal officials suspect foul play, not an environmental source, is at the root of two Florida anthrax cases that have left one man dead and hundreds of his co-workers lining up for medical tests.
Experts virtually ruled out natural causes Tuesday after the anthrax bacterium was found in the nose of a second employee and on an office computer keyboard at American Media Inc., publisher of several supermarket tabloids.

The discovery of a second case followed the death on Friday of Bob Stevens, the 63-year-old photography editor for the Sun.

"The chances are one in a billion to have two anthrax cases," said Dr. Landis Crockett, director of disease control for the Florida Department of Health. "There then would be another explanation, and that would be that foul play would be suspected."

Jeffrey Koplan, director of the Centers for Disease Control, was also very suspicious of the Florida cases.

"I asked Dr. Koplan what would be the likelihood that such a disease could have occurred without human intervention," Florida Sen. Bob Graham said after meeting with the director. "His words were, 'Nil to none,'" Graham said.

Anthrax cannot be spread from person to person. Antibiotics can treat anthrax, although the rare inhalation form that killed Stevens is particularly lethal. Untreated, 90 percent of victims die within days. The bacterium normally has an incubation period of up to seven days, but could take up to 60 days to develop.

As the FBI sealed off American Media's Boca Raton offices, Newsweek reported on its Web site Monday that the company received a "weird love letter to Jennifer Lopez" a week before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Inside the letter was a "soapy, powdery substance" and a Star of David charm.

The letter was handled by both Stevens and his exposed co-worker, 73-year-old Ernesto Blanco, according to unidentified workers cited by Newsweek. The FBI has not returned a call seeking comment on the letter.

Officials said Blanco, a mailroom employee, had anthrax bacteria in his nasal passages but has not been diagnosed with the disease. He was in stable condition, authorities said.

A third American Media employee, librarian Martha Moffett, originally tested negative for anthrax, but was called back Monday to undergo a second test for the disease, The Miami Herald reported in Tuesday's editions.

All 300 people who work in the building — and anyone who spent more than an hour inside since Aug. 1 — were advised to visit health officials. More than 500 people waited for hours Tuesday to be tested and receive antibiotics.

Four supermarket tabloids — the Sun, the National Enquirer, Star and Weekly World News — are published in the building.

Elsewhere, a Virginia doctor downplayed what had been described as a possible anthrax case there with connections to the Florida cases.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks have raised fears of bioterrorism across the country, but particular concern has been focused on this Florida neighborhood.

Stevens lived about a mile from an airstrip where flight school owner Marian Smith said hijacker Mohamed Atta rented planes. Several other hijackers also visited a crop-dusting business in Belle Glade, 40 miles from Stevens' home in Lantana.

Only 18 cases of inhalation anthrax were reported in the United States during the 20th century, the most recent in 1976 in California. More common is a less serious form of anthrax contracted through the skin.

Anthrax can be contracted from farm animals or soil, but the bacterium is not normally found among the wildlife or livestock in Florida. Stevens was described as an avid outdoorsman and gardener.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.