Now THAT's a kiddie book!

Betty

One of the magazines that we publish at work is a parenting magazine. We do alot of kiddie book reviews, so parents know what to get for their kids. So we end up with piles of books that we get to sort through and keep afterwards. I sifted through and grabbed a book called Rescue: A Police Story by Alison Hart. The target audience seems to be a 7 or 8 year old. I flipped through and landed on the pictures. :eek: Wow!

This book details the real-life police department of Staunton, Virginia, using the names of real cops, but consisting of a fabricated story revolving around a bank robbery. The book has sidebars that talk about the flash bangs, weapons, etc.

"The team members are trained to use special tactical weapons, which are kept in a locked room at the police department. Colt 9mm submachine guns are necessary for firepower at longer distances. 12-gauge shotguns are often used when facing an armed suspect. A Federal 37mm gas gun can shoot canisters of tear gas into a building. Tear gas grenades can be thrown into a room to force out suspects.
"The team also uses special equipment for scaling walls and entering buildings." (insert mall ninja here)

And there's the picture to illustrate, with all the gear.

CIRT UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT
"One of the most important parts of their uniform is the assault vest. The heavy black vest is made of Kevlar - bullet-resistant material. On the front of the vest are pockets for all sorts of equipment, like a mirror to look around corners, a high-intensity flashlight, a tear-gas greande, a can of pepper spray, wound dressings, a smoke grenade, and a walkie-talkie...
"The gun belt not only carries the officer's service weapon - a Smith & Wesson .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol - it also holds a gas mask, extra ammunition, and a pocketknife."

Further on in the book...

"Flash bangs are called 'distraction devices'. When they explode, they are so loud, bright, and smoky they confuse, frighten, and distract a person. One flash-bang gives off a brilliant light of about 2,000,000 candlepower..."

In the rear of the book is the glossary of terminology, which is really funny to read in the big kiddie print.

detonate - to explode with a loud noise.
The police will detonate the flash-bangs before going into the bank.

tactical - used by the police and the military to express "going into action."
Sergeant Williams said to his team, "It's time to go tactical!"

I've never seen so many big, scary gun pictures in a kiddie book in my entire life! (giggle)

Oh, and there's a big police badge sticker in the back. :D

And... I found a page online for it: http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/interiors/0-679-89366-0.html It's got pictures!

Blackhawk

Runt,

Books are the perfect gifts, and since parents should review the books their children read, maybe you've discovered the perfect gift for all those "you care enough about to give the very best." Can you get us a good discount...? :D

butchb243

Never thought I'd see that in today's "PC" world:eek: :D

Think I'll get some of these for the grandkids & maybe one for me, I can look a the purdy pictures:D
Already checked Barnes & Nobel has them in hard back or paperback:cool:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If they were...

...really tactical, then they'd use MP-5's instead of Colt (Oh, *** is Colt's trade name for their 9mm buzzgun? *trudge to bookcase* ah ha!) ...Colt M-635's, to minimize close-range misses caused by the height of the Colt's sightline over its bore.

(Jeez. Criticizing SWAT teams in kiddie books. There're times I really hate being a gun geek. ;) )

David Park

No kidding! I was born in Staunton, VA. It's a pretty sleepy town (birthplace of Woodrow Wilson and the Statler Brothers). The thought of mall ninja on the police force is somewhat disturbing. I suspect they like to dress up and have their picture taken as much as some folks around here. :D

Amazon has it, list price $3.99.

Betty

There's also Chase: A Police Story by the same author, but it's not as "fun" as this one. It details a ladycop chasing an escaped convict.

They'll both give Oleg about a half hour of fun reading, tops. :D

Killians97

The funniest thing is that it happened in Staunton!

ROTL,

Staunton, VA is this tiny little town north of Lexington, Virginia. It’s a small college town (Mary Baldwin College) with a Mall at one end, a Super Wal Mart on the other and some nice historic buildings in between. I can't imagine WHAT they would need all that tactical (I know, it’s an overused word) training and gear for! Campus party gone horribly wrong? Waffle House new management refused to stay open for 24 hours?

Ah, I know. There is an "institution" for the mentally disabled there. This institution is surrounded by 7+ foot high fence and razor wire. Maybe if something went tragically wrong there...

BTW, who the heck builds an insane asylum less than two miles away from an all women's college?? Only in Virginia I guess.

Happy reading!
Killians97

Reminds me of a story...

I used to work with a fellow who was an Artillery Officer in the U.S. Army. This guy had a droll, dry delivery similar to Steven Wright's. During coffee breaks he would offer up prospective titles for books he was going to guest author for the "Berenstein Bears" series.

"The Berenstein Bears and Hasty Ambushes"
"The Berenstein Bears and Ammunition Conservation"
"The Berenstein Bears go on Patrol"
"The Berenstein Bears and Calling for Fire Support"
"The Berenstein Bears go to Kosovo"
"The Berenstein Bears go to Jump School"
"The Berenstein Bears and etc., etc., etc.

Seeker

C. B. Colby

Used to read a lot of C. B. Colby books when I was a 8-11 years old. They don't seem to be in the libray at the local grade school.

Here's a link to one called Frogmen, note the "tiny" walkie-talkie on this particular page.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I thought it was CW Colby, but who cares. I LOVED those books as a kid. Every single piece of "gee-whiz" technology from those books showed up on the original "Johnny Quest", from hovering weapons platforms to jet boats.

Loved that stuff.

And is Rikki Tiki Tavi an un-pc story? By todays standards maybe. But I still think its a great children's story.

Then again I read Moby Dick at 9, I'm not saying I got all of the christian imagery and nuances, to me it was sort of like reading Treasure Island, only with whales. (oh right whaling is un-pc, too).

And any library that doesn't stock "Shane" just isn't worth going to.:D

HKguy9

Tactical kiddie books? Too cool for school!

I wonder if the zero-tolerance weapons policy will keep this book from entering elementary schools and airplanes.

PATH

Tactical kiddie books! You have gotta love that! Why didn't they have this when I was a kid?:confused: :(

C.R.Sam

There were a lot of books aimed at the very young with great flying, infantry etc stories aimed at the very young.....in the 30s.

Also several (3 cent ?) comics aimed at the barely reading with military shootin stuff ....in the early 40s.

Sam