Now I understand the 1911 love!

grinner

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but not new to shooting. I grew up on revolvers, so have tended toward those over the years. My brother-in-law convinced me the SIG p226 in 9mm was THE gun to own a couple of years ago, so I bought it as my first semi-auto. I liked it, but not as much as my revolvers, so I eventually traded it for another revolver.

I had never shot a 1911, but have read countless glowing reviews of how well they shoot, how it's the best trigger, etc. I joined a new shooting range last month and a free firearm rental comes with each membership. I decided to finally try a 1911. They had one to rent, a Springfield mil-spec. After buying a box of .45 ammo, I took it into the range, loaded it, chambered a round, aimed and pulled the trigger.

Nothing. Not a good first impression. Inspecting the gun, I noticed it was out of battery. A quick tap to the back worked, and the first shot at 21' was dead center.

Alright. That's more like it. I could start to see why people like these. Pull the trigger again. Nothing.

Again, not in battery. Dammit. Tap again, then bang. Second shot right next to the first.

Long story short, I had to tap the slide into battery almost every time, but each shot was within a nice fist sized circle at the center of the target, even when I moved it out to 45'. I was dutifully impressed with the accuracy, although not the reliability.

When I returned it to the desk, I commented on the problems. The kid behind the desk said, "Maybe it needs a cleaning. We only do that once a year, or if someone complains."

No wonder I had problems.

Still, I was impressed enough that I decided to look over the options and see if they had any deals that would persuade me to buy another gun. They did -- a base SIG 1911 XO for $799. Having not had a reliability problems with my 226 at all, I bought it.

After the required 3-day wait, I picked it up and took it home to clean out the standard SIG packing grease and lube it up. I have to admit, I shot the spring across the room several times before I got it back in and locked under the bushing properly. Taking down a 226 is a LOT easier.

Considering the previous experience with the rented 1911, I was a little surprised when the first shot went off. Then the next, and the next. Went through two boxes without a hiccup, and shredded the center of two targets.

I've drunk the Kool-aid. I still love my revolvers, but I may love this 1911 a little more.

BBarn

I typically shoot revolvers more that autos, especially single action revolvers. Over the years I've owned many different autos but prefer the 1911. Glad you like yours.

RickB

Too bad you had to get past a P226 on your way to auto pistol nirvana. :)
I wouldn't recommend a DA/SA pistol except as an act of sadism.

Targa

Take care not to put an idiot mark on it when installing the slide stop. Go ahead, ask me how I know..:eek:

LaughingNowHaHa

It failed to go into battery repeatedly because the SA Milspec is garbage, could've been clean as a whistle would've done the same thing.

Dufus

Bought my 1st in 1973 used. It was still expensive. My 1st new one came to me in 1976. Two more followed those 2.

They are all Colt Series 70. All are still as original as I got them.

All accurate and all have excellent triggers. No regrets at all.

I have a government issue circa WWII from a deceased cousin that fought in that war.

Fishbed77

Too bad you had to get past a P226 on your way to auto pistol nirvana.

A great example of "to each his own."

I've shot, enjoyed, and owned (and still own) a number of 1911s and I've found no factory 1911 to shoot any better for me than a good West German-made P226.

It's all about gaining and establishing proficiency.

grinner

Too bad you had to get past a P226 on your way to auto pistol nirvana. :)

I actually didn’t mind the DA/SA aspect that much, and after a year could shoot it pretty well. Just not as good as my revolvers. I also didn’t like how thick the grip was. But everyone likes what they like.

grinner

A great example of "to each his own."

I've shot, enjoyed, and owned (and still own) a number of 1911s and I've found no factory 1911 to shoot any better for me than a good West German-made P226.

It's all about gaining and establishing proficiency.

Mine was made in America. Maybe I should try an older one. :)

tallball

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

You've let the camel's nose into the tent now.

I really enjoyed my first 1911. That must be why I have so many of them now. :)

exit30

I was shooting a Bersa Pro Sub Compact and honestly was not enjoying it. I told one of the instructors at my range that I needed a lesson, he said I didn't and watched me shoot. The gun just wasn't right for me, all of my technique was fine. I tried a rental Springfield 1911, and good God almighty, I was putting pretty much everything center mass. I immediately ordered a full size 9mm 1911 and have never looked back. My shooting has improved 100%.

Last edited:

Martowski

1911 is my favorite platform. You want something close to shooting nirvana? Pick up a Dan Wesson and blast away, or a Les Baer PII.

hagar

I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's. It was almost comical seeing people struggling with them. My varmint hunting buddy was a 1911 fan, and one day out in the desert we set up a little pistol shooting competition, my Firestar against his 1911. I let him go first, he loaded a mag, and when he pulled the trigger, it went full auto.. Look on his face was priceless.. ;) I told him "I rest my case".

But I just bought my first, but only because it was a lnib 10mm Delta Elite I got at a good price. Have not shot it yet. :eek:

jr24

I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's. It was almost comical seeing people struggling with them. My varmint hunting buddy was a 1911 fan, and one day out in the desert we set up a little pistol shooting competition, my Firestar against his 1911. I let him go first, he loaded a mag, and when he pulled the trigger, it went full auto.. Look on his face was priceless.. I told him "I rest my case".

But I just bought my first, but only because it was a lnib 10mm Delta Elite I got at a good price. Have not shot it yet.

Hope you like the Colt, by RIA 10mm 1911 is a fantastically accurate platform for 10mm, even being a relatively cheap RIA.

I'm currently down to only 6 1911s and apart from my problem child Kimber Ultra carry (it needs me to load short rounds < 1.22", runs factory hollow points like HST perfect) I actually still have more stoppages with my Glocks than I do with my 1911s. More rounds on the 1911s as a group.

Mine run great.

RickB

I have never liked 1911's, and for good reason. Our hunting club had a yearly shoot, and I never saw any other pistol jam like 1911's.

I keep hearing that, but in 20+ years of shooting USPSA, IDPA, and now, Action Shooting International competitions (along with a smattering of 3-gun and bowling pins), over 600 matches and counting, I've never seen any one brand or model of gun that was clearly more, or less, reliable than any other.
Good quality guns with good ammo all run "good".

If a 1911 is going to fail, it's going to be extraction and/or ejection.
For a brand that suffers a lot of feed failures . . . well, if you get your info from full-page gun advertisements, you wouldn't believe me. ;)