Now HERE'S an interesting Savage

Great, I'm glad you like your single shots. I myself have a singleshot or two, so I'm not trashing the concept of the single shot rifle.

I heard rumors about Savage's .22 Hornet and had some high hopes for it. What I didn't here, though, was that it was going to be a single shot. I want a magazine rifle and am pissed that they're apparently not offering that feature.

"yea, but youre not hunting with a hornet i hope."

I don't know how many dozen ground hogs I took in Pennsylvania using an H&R .22 Hornet. It's a fine hunting cartridge as long as it's balanced against the type of game.

Anthony Terry

ill rephrase it for better understanding...i meant for deer hunting.
sorry, i should have clarified that, and i was making a joke newayz.:D

Lavan

My last Hornet (that I shudda kept) was a Ruger #3 carbine.
Got rid of it for weight. Coors, da Savage is a heavy devil too.
Think some enterprising company would come out with a mag fed lightweight bolt action.

onemsumba

for that money I'll take a CZ 452/453

I checked out the savage .22's a few weeks ago, seem really cheaply made IMHO.

Buck2

I have the Savage Mod. 40 in 22 hornet, and like it very much. It’s not a fancy gun as most Savages are not, but it shoots good groups and has a nice trigger. It is a heavy gun for walking around with, but is just right for prairie dogs hunting, and target shooting.

Lee,

Charles S

Does Ruger still make the 77/22 Hornet?

25L.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=40&variation=77/22%AE%20Hornet&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

Charles

garryc

sorry, i should have clarified that, and i was making a joke newayz

And what is wrong with a single shot deer gun? The first shot is the only one that really counts anyway. Seems to me my muzzle loader is a single shot. As is my bow.

Charles S

sorry, i should have clarified that, and i was making a joke newayz.

Actually, I assumed he was referring to utilizing the 22 Hornet for deer hunting.

I love to hunt with a single shot, they are generally shorter than any other action and can be lighter.

I love the TC Encore, Contender, and Hunter.

Charles

Anthony Terry

garry, im not knocking a single shot at all, youre missing my point. im talking about hunting deer with a hornet, period. i hunted with a nea single 45-70 for years as a kid and would still gladly use one. and am thinking about getting one actually.
charles, r u saying you hunt with a 22 hornet:eek:
me confused....

Charles S

charles, r u saying you hunt with a 22 hornet

Defiantly, not....I was stating that I love to hunt with single shots. I have several, I love thier balance, and handling qualitites.

No, when it comes to caliber on deer, I am of the more is better (to an extent) crowd. I don't even hunt with a 243, although I do believe it is adequate. My current white tail caliber is the 6.5X55. I hunt white tails with the 270, 30-06, 308, a couple of different 300's.

I don't believe that any 22 is ideal, although in the hands of an expert, loaded with the right ammo, with ideal conditions, and perfect shot placement, the larger 22's (22-250, 220 Swift ect) are probably adequate.

Charles

garryc

Ok understood, As far as the hornet goes, not for me. Some years ago I put together a load to fire form 22-250. I used a 45gr bullet and 13gr of unique. When I shot them I found they would group into one hole. I was thinking about getting a fireball or a hornet before that, I guess I don't need to now. I simply turn the turret to a setting for that load at 100yrds and go for it. I've killed chucks out to 200yrds with that load.