Now help me choose! Please...

TMUSCLE1

Hello Firing Line...I have been reading for a while and finally decided to join.

This is my predicament...I am looking for a .45 caliber handgun to add to my collection. This gun will be a carry pistol. I have shot many .45s and don't mind the recoil(actually find it easier to control than the .40) I was just wanting some suggestions on models that can be carried/concealed that I can look up or go look at and feel. Compacts or sub-compact models mainly. Thanks for the input/suggestions

I am 5'10" 215lbs and have shot several .45 models. Need any other info just let me know.

Keltyke

I really like the Colt Defender - for me. For you:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $2,000 Kimber, either.

And all that being said, I carry a Steyr S40 (.40 S&W) in a OWB

TMUSCLE1

All very valid points that I have taken into consideration and thanks for the quick reply.

I have "fondled" a few models. I was just wanting to get a few other ideas on models that I might be overlooking as there are so many available. As of right now I have a XD40(home defense), and I like the Glock 30. Do you have any model suggestions in a compact or sub-compact .45 though?

Keltyke

I'll repeat - Colt Defender. In the first line of my post.

The Defender is a 3" barrel, 7 round, .45 ACP semi-auto.

TMUSCLE1

Woops...I overlooked that. I apologize.

Thanks for that...now I will have a new model to go look at this weekend! May I ask why don't you carry that? How is the recoil in that gun with a solid round? I ask because I doubt my range will have a Defender to rent. What is a fair price for that model?

IanS

Recoil out of those tiny .45 automatics will be vigorous compared to a Gov't or Commander 1911, aluminum framed SIG P220, Glock21, or HK USP or USP compact. The smaller the gun the more felt recoil and muzzle blast. A compact .40 S&W (G23/SIG P229) will probably feel more pleasant in comparison. I suggest renting the smallest .45 auto you can find to get an approximate feel for your comfort level.

And .45 ACP needs minimum of about 4" barrel length for todays hollowpoints to work "as advertised". Otherwise out of a "snub", which is basically what a Colt Defender is, the hollowpoint will act like FMJ's. In which case might as well use FMJ's in a mini-.45 since they'll be more feed friendly and reliable.

benzuncle

One of my carry guns is a Taurus PT-145. 10+1 of 45acp in a small pkg. I carry this inside a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster in front pocket of my cargo shorts/pants and a in a smart carry. I haven't found an IWB holster for it that suits me yet. It has been very reliable through the first 1200+ rounds of 230gr ammo. I carry Remington Golden Sabers in it for SD. Speer makes Gold Dots specifically for Short Barreled firearms. I have used them also.

Last edited:

Keltyke

May I ask why don't you carry that? How is the recoil in that gun with a solid round? I ask because I doubt my range will have a Defender to rent. What is a fair price for that model?

Sure. Although I like the Defender, and it's a tack driver, it doesn't really fit my hand as well as the Steyr. Also, I'm a lefty, and the safety/mag release are set up for righties. An ambi safety is out of my financial ability right now. I can shoot multiple rapid fire much more accurately with the Steyr (see recoil remarks below). A final reason is the Steyr gives me 11 rounds, the Defender, only 8.

I shoot 145 gr. JHP in the Steyr. I've shot 230 gr. and 185 gr. (both FMJ) in the Defender. The recoil (not much push, but a lot of muzzle flip) is much more from the Defender, but VERY manageable. The Steyr pushes more, not as much flip. The Steyr weighs 25.5 oz., unloaded. The Defender weighs 22.5 oz., so the Steyr will absorb a little more recoil than the Colt. The Steyr has a 3.5" barrel, too.

Fair price? I paid $800 for mine in a private sale at a gun show. It was well used but not abused, and has performed well for me. I've seen them from $600 to $900. Parts are readily available.

For those who like the 1911 platform, the Colt Defender is a good one.

Now, I'll REALLY confuse you. I also have a Springfield v10. That's the 3" compact with the ported barrel. Because of the porting, it's as easy to shoot as the Steyr. I'd put it right up there beside the Defender, but I wouldn't carry it for the reasons listed above. Price is about the same as the Colt.

Good luck!

samuraimizu

should make this a sticky

should sticky this.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $2,000 Kimber, either.

I didnt pay that much for my kimber lol.:p

I agree tho choosing a gun is a personal thing. Advice is great dont get me wrong. In the end tho is your decision.

HvyMtl

hmm.

What is your price range?

My conceal carry is a Bersa Ultra Compact 45. 7+1, 3.6 inch barrel, ambidextrous safety and slide release, polygonal rifling, 2 magazines, round in chamber indicator. Good bang for buck under $400...reliable, yes, pretty, no, refined? No.

Supposedly, there are "short barrel" ammo for conceal carry 45's. I have been looking into it myself... Speer has a version. Google short barrel ammo, and you will find several forums addressing it...

Chronographed some cheap Independence Ammo thru the Bersa and a friend's full size 1911 Taurus. The loss was approximately 60-80 fps from the shorter barrel. So, expect a larger fps loss with hotter ammo, but not too bad...

There are several 1911 style conceal carry - and might be a good option - again money... Kimber is a nice option... Para ordinance - do not know much about them, but wish I did

Looked at the Kahr models (the smallest PM45 caught my eye, but was out of my price range and did not fit well in my hand... 3.16 inch barrel...)

Sig P220? 6+1 4.4 inch barrel... too big for CC?

Big point is expect to have six to eight rounds max.

samuraimizu +1, great summary of what to get...

Last edited:

TMUSCLE1

Thanks for the replies guys. Below is a little more information.

The defender is a gorgeous gun! I really like 1911 style pistols and would really like one for carry, but a 1911 style is NOT a must.

My price range is $650-$800.

I like the G23 and shoot it well...I just really want a .45 carry piece. I wish Glock made a midsize .45ACP. I have a Springfield XD.40, and while I love it, it is my bedside gun. I think it is just a tad too big to carry and I have a light on it as it is one of my HD guns.

Keltyke...I have been reading on the Defender. A common issue I have read about is extracting problems. Have you had any trouble with yours?

I will definitely check into short barreled .45ACP ammunition. That makes me a little more comfortable knowing that.

You might consider the Glock 30/30SF. Great size, great SD caliber and its a Glock so you know its reliable for carry. If I wanted to CC a .45acp it would be the G30SF. Thats my 2 cents.

TMUSCLE1

Thanks...fortunately my range has just about the whole Glock line to rent, including the compensated models.(Watch, I'll go and they'll have everything BUT the G30) I know the G30 is a subcompact which is even smaller than a Colt Defender so felt recoil might be an issue. I will shoot it and let you guys know!

BillCA

You might want to look at the Sig P220 in .45ACP. They have some "compact" models that might fit your hand, needs and budget.

Unfortunately for me, I can't get comfortable with the grip of almost any of the Sigs or HK pistols and it shows in the shooting results. YMMV.

The Colt Defender with the Hogue grips points naturally for me. From a draw to presentation the sights end up almost perfectly aligned every time, without effort on my part.

For concealability, I find that it's not that hard to conceal a 4" barreled semi-auto pistol, especially those with a single-stack magazine. With a light jacket or slightly bigger than normal sweatshirt or loose shirt, I can hide a Colt Commander reasonably well. Even a Colt Gov't. It's the grip length that you have to hide.
SpringChampRed1.jpg

One overlooked .45 that I was impressed with is the S&W Model 457. This is the traditional DA/SA action and the pistol has a 3" barrel, bobbed hammer and compact design.
model457.jpg

These make excellent CCW pistols and are usually priced very reasonably on the used market.

TMUSCLE1

Quick question to this thread. If I was to buy the Defender...that means I would have to carry with the hammer cocked because it is single action only. I was doing some research and saw that it is SAO. I was thinking it was DA/SA.

Oh...and thanks for the Sig suggestion. I love the way those guns look.

Last edited:

Keltyke

A common issue I have read about is extracting problems. Have you had any trouble with yours?

We had some last round stovepiping until we cleaned the gun thoroughly (we bought it used). No problems since then.

Yes, the Defender is SAO. Carrying cocked and locked isn't a problem, unless you're left handed, then it's hard to hit the thumb safety. It also has a backstrap grip safety, so it's a pretty safe carry.

chadwick76

I love a first starting carrying a colt combat commander! That was 15 yrs. ago, and about 6 different pc's later. i currently am carrying the hk usp 45.cal compact and freaking love it. Fits my hand great, and is right on target everytime. However i will admit, i have sometimes questioned if i should of got it in 40sw (then i snap back into reality. good luck

Blackdogxx

SA Loaded .45

I like this one; reliable, well made and supported, has most all good features (add Tritium if you want) and I found a barely used one for 625... new 875.

I also got 2 Wilson 8 rd mags at 30 each.

It's a hard deal to beat.