novice wanting to learn.

gary c coffey

For a few years I have loaded some acceptable 243 ammo with a Lee handloader. now I have purchased an H&R buffalo gun in caliber 38-55 Winchester. Lee sure doesn't make a handloader for one of these! Thats OK this is something that I have wanted to learn for a long time. A set of dies, some brass, and bullets came with the rifle. without mortgaging the farm, What do I need to get started? any and all opinions greatly appreciated.

Leftoverdj

Consensus of the board lately has been that the best deal for the beginner on a budget is the Lee Anniversary Kit. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a link to a place that sells them for about $70 delivered. Aside from what's in the kit, you'll need a loading manual, the part of the trimmer that does not come in the kit, a box of primers, and a can of powder, maybe XMP 5744 or either 4198. Get the primers and powder locally because of Hazmat charges. Total should run about $110.

Iffen even that sounds a bit expensive, let me know and I'll explain how a poor boy does it for almost nothing.

rwilson452

not selling the farm

IMNSHO ( and worth every penny)

The low cost way to go would be with a Lee press if your going to get a new press. I would be partial to the turrret press as you can install the dies and not need to mess with adjustments again after you find "that best load". with a single station press you going to be readjusting the dies every time you swap dies.

The argument over the best press has been as heated and lengthly as the argument over revolvers and semiauto pistols. as you have been reloading I suspect you have mast everything you need except the press.

This suggestion assumes the dies are a standard threaded die. So, of what mfg are the dies?

gary c coffey

Rwilson452. Thanks for the reply. The dies are Lee. I assume they would be compatible with a Lee press. If OK with you, I may want to pick your brain a little when I actually get started. Many thanks.Gary :)

rwilson452

Lee turret

I'm an accuracy nut so when I was loading rifel stuff with a Lee Turret press I would use it like a single stage press. I would do it like this:

Tumble the brass.
Resize.
trim, chamfer and inspect.
Use a lee hand primer to prime.
drop powder by hand and trickle charge.

( usualy I do 20 rounds per setting) if I working up a new load I will load 5 of each variance.

Seat the bullet. check COAL using a sinclair bullet comparator.

When loading FMJs for my M1 I would crimp.

Just like using a single stage press but instead of needing to install a different die you just rotate the turret.

I now have a Lee Loadmaster And I use the same proceedure for rifle stuff. for my 1911 ( .45ACP) I go progressive and just crank them out.
I have all the doo-dads for the loadmaster so the only thing i stop for is to resupply cases primers powder and bullets. I pause about ever 10 rounds to check levels and powder throw wieght. It's never off but I check anyway. It was off once. Somehow I got a piece of fuzzy string it the powder. pulled all the bullets on the last ten. that was the only one short.

Last edited: