novice questions about budget AR build

idek

I don't own an AR, but am interested in trying out a basic build kit. It may be used for HD, but my intention is more for fun and possibly medium game hunting.

At this point, I'm leaning toward a PSA 6.5 Grendel kit with a 20" barrel. Specifically, this kit. I'd consider other suggestions as well, but keeping price down is a priority.

My understanding is that I'd just need a stripped lower to be able to complete the rifle. Is that correct, and, if so, can someone recommend an entry-level lower? PSA has a lot listed, but I don't know the differences between them. And can someone clarify "high shelf" vs. "low shelf"?

Finally, any suggestions for good Grendel magazines? I'd prefer lower capacity options when hunting or shooting for fun.

rickyrick

My lowers cost between 29-40$ for Anderson lowers, bought them at various times is why the price variety. No issues what so ever. You will need some type of sight system as well, which could cost quite a bit.

jetinteriorguy

Why not just buy a PSA stripped lower? Be never had any issues with the ones I have. I'm not sure if 7.62x39 mags would work, but if they do the C Products Defencee mags or AR Stoner mags work great. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this subject could verify this, I'm just going off my fuzzy memory from when I was thinking about a 6.5 Grendel upper a number of years ago.

I just looked up the part# for the C Products Defense mags and the 7.62x39 is a different part# than the 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:

raimius

6.5 Grendel and "budget" don't go very well together. New, brass ammo is nearly 3x the price of .223.

Unless you need it to be 6.5 for a specific reason, I'd go with .223.

T. O'Heir

"...don't go very well together..." Neither does 'budget' and building a rifle. Loaded ammo seems to be kind of scarce too. Of the 15 loads Midway lists, some of which are on Backorder OK, only 6 are currently available. Starting at $23.99 per 20. Limited in available bullet weights too. Reloading will fix that though. Hornady brass runs $109.99 per 250. $38.99 per 100 at Graf's.
European brands like Lapua and Norma are stupid expensive at or above a buck each.

TrueBlue711

6.5 Grendel and "budget" don't go very well together. New, brass ammo is nearly 3x the price of .223.

Unless you need it to be 6.5 for a specific reason, I'd go with .223.

For your main purpose of fun shooting and being on budget, I agree with this comment. You can have a fully built 223 AR from PSA for less than $400. Since this is your first one, I would go with this route. My favorite thing about ARs is you can build a separate upper for a different purpose down the road. You can buy/build a 6.5 Gren upper and swap it out in a few seconds when you want to go hunting with it. One of my ARs has 3 different uppers I swap around with: 5.56/223, 22LR and 300 Blackout.

To answer your questions though, yes, you need an empty lower to finish that kit. Putting it together can be done with just hammer + punch, but that castle nut needs a castle nut wrench. You can find a basic one for maybe $10. Or you can use a non-marring wrench to tighten it or just finger tighten it, but I would just get the wrench for $10 to avoid regrets (unless you know a buddy who has one to borrow).

My belief is empty lowers are all pretty much the same. 2x of my ARs use $35 lowers and I have no issues. PSA sells them pretty cheap, so they're not a bad option. Plus you have the comfort of keeping the upper and the lower receiver from the same company.

I just built a 6.5 Grendel AR myself and I just got 2x 6.5 Gren specific 10 rounder magazines for starters. Both are made by AR Stoner, which is the brand name on Midwayusa.com. Only one range session so far, but the magazines worked fine.

Be warned: You may get hooked! I started out with just a kit like you're looking at years ago and now I have built many ARs. It's fun and I get a little bit more reward when shooting guns I put together.

Fishbed77

All lowers are the generally the same. It depends on what logo you want on the side of it.

This is not true. Some are forged, some billet. Some are in spec. Some are not (Anderson had a particular problem with this a few years back). Some are high-shelf, some low-shelf (only an issue if you have a RDIAS). Some have added features like flared mag wells. Finishes may vary (my BCM receiver has a smoother, more even and nicer-looking finish than my PSAs).

That said, for the budget-conscious, I've had very good luck with PSA lowers (run $40-$50). I particularly like the "Stealth" versions, which feature no silly logos.

idek

Thanks for the replies. The comments about the lowers were helpful. PSA's "Stealth" version sounds about right for me. I'll check out some of the magazine suggestions as well. Thanks also for the tip about the wrench.

rickyrick mentioned sights. I was thinking low-power variable (I already have some extra scopes at home). It seems the trend is the 30mm tubes, but they seem to add a lot of extra weight and cost over 1" tubes. Is there any reason the Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 I already have wouldn't work?

As to the .223 suggestions, I understand what people are saying about cost and availability of ammo, and I did say cost is a priority, but .223 would be lighter than I'd like to use for hunting medium game. I realize 6.5 Grendel isn't exactly the hammer of Thor either, but I would feel better about using it on deer or hogs a little farther away than I would with a .223. (I do own a .223 bolt rifle, by the way). Maybe my listed purpose of "fun" was misleading too. I wouldn't blow through a bunch of magazines at a single outing--I've got .22 rifles and handguns for that. It would be shot more in moderation.

Last edited:

rickyrick

I find that the 3-9x40 scopes to be just fine for hunting, because they are widely available, they tend to be a good value.

rickyrick

I’ll add that the biggest mistake people make when selecting a scope and mount would be not getting the right ring height for the individual.

TrueBlue711

As to the .223 suggestions, I understand what people are saying about cost and availability of ammo, and I did say cost is a priority, but .223 would be lighter than I'd like to use for hunting medium game. I realize 6.5 Grendel isn't exactly the hammer of Thor either, but I would feel better about using it on deer or hogs a little farther away than I would with a .223. (I do own a .223 bolt rifle, by the way). Maybe my listed purpose of "fun" was misleading too. I wouldn't blow through a bunch of magazines at a single outing--I've got .22 rifles and handguns for that. It would be shot more in moderation.

Thanks for clarifying. Then yes, that 6.5 Gren would be great for what you're wanting. I'm loving the round so far with my newest build, it's quite the tack driver. It'll be a great deer/boar/antelope rifle.

Skans

My only comment is that for HD and recreational shooting, I would typically go with a 16", possibly an 18" barrel, but nothing as long as 20".

GarandTd

To go along with the PSA build kits, you will also need magazines. The kits include everything but the lower receiver, magazines, and sometimes iron sights. I used an Anderson lower receiver for my PSA build. It cost me $50 + tax locally (no transfer where I bought it). It has been trouble free for 3000+ rounds. It's personal preference, but my BIL got a kit with the lightweight m-lok handguard and wished he would have gotten the Magpul version. I think its because he was in the Marines and was more comfortable with a bulkier handguard. Either way, 2 of my family members bought a PSA kit after seeing and experiencing mine. They offer a lot of "bang for the buck".

TruthTellers

Anderson lowers are very good, but occasionally you may run into an issue with one, so buy more than one at a time.

I bought 3 of them a couple years ago, two of them are perfectly fine, one tho has an issue with the front pivot pin being very tight when I try to put an upper on. Doesn't look like there are any burrs, it may be that the holes aren't perfectly aligned.

I should call Anderson to get it sent in, but that lower is a spare in case I want to do another build in the future and I've got other things to do.

bfoosh006

The reviews from your link sure look promising.

I'd give it a whirl , I have had very good results with PSA products.

dahermit

I have built (assembled from PSA lower kit, complete PSA 16" Freedom upper, and the additional accoutrements as seen in the photo) for under $500 total.
It shoots 1" five shot groups @ 100 yards. My only complaint is the trigger is creepy and heavy...but then I have not attempted any smoothing/stoning. It is not so heavy that I cannot live with it at the time being.
Car15wbipod.jpg

Last edited:

rickyrick

The best standard/cheap trigger set is the CMMG stock trigger. Better than the various “enhanced” milspec type triggers out there. It’s worth it even if you have to purchase an LPK to get one.