Novice AR question (putting complete upper and lowers together)

idek

I have a S&W M&P 15-22, but no experience with centerfire ARs (yes...such people still exist).

I'm considering an AR-15. I don't want to build one from a bunch of parts, but I wonder how simple and foolproof it is to put together a complete lower and complete upper. Would I need any special tools or additional parts (other than magazines) to get up and running?

armoredman

If you buy a complete lower and a complete upper, (including Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle, putting them together is as simple as opening both front and back pins on the lower, (front is called the pivot pin, the rear is the takedown pin), and slide the upper into alignment with the pivot pin, the front one, with the upper held at an angle down. Once in alignment, push the pin through. Then pivot the upper down in complete alignment, (some slight pressure might be needed to push the buffer back a wee bit into the stock), then slide in the take down pin until fully in place. Once both pins are completely through and snap in place, you are done. That easy. There are tons of videos on YouTube about assembling ARs, which I cannot link for you from my work computer, sorry.
After that all you will need is magazines, ammo and a place to shoot!
Warning - ARs are like CZs - they are addictive.

BornFighting88

If I may add, be sure the hammer is in the locked or “cocked” position when assembling. While you can probably put them together reliably when the hammer down, it may slightly bind on the bolt carrier group and hang up on you.

AR’s are absolutely addicting, as armoredman said. But I have not yet been bitten by the CZ bug. Maybe one day.

The sheer number of parts and accessories (I use Brownell’s almost exclusively) is mind boggling. I can’t remember if they still stock them, but Brownell’s used to stock a part by Pearce Grips out of Texas. It was an AR grip module but in the shape and angle of the 1911 grip, albeit slightly fatter. You can custom fit your desired grip panels on it and have the custom look you wish. I am a fan.

As for mags, GI boxes work great, I have them in 5-round boxes, 20-round sticks, and 30-round bananas. A friend gave me a magpul late gen mag, its fine, works like it should. But plastic for a mag doesn’t really do it for me.

I might be the oddball here, but when firing my AR, the “boooiinnnnggg” sound of the recoil spring rebounding is a real treat. All up to you to customize it past the assemblies. But the standard plastic M4 buttstock does it for me just fine. Dang thing recoils so softly that it is not a detriment. I also have a Magpul model, while comfy, its bulky and its just that…. A stock.

Wish you all the best in handling your new addiction, you are among a great community now. We will all rally around you and support your affliction. =-p

stagpanther

but I wonder how simple and foolproof it is to put together a complete lower and complete upper.
Not quite foolproof if you are getting the separate receivers from different manufacturers, there might be as small as a .001 tolerance difference between the two different manufacturers, but that's enough to cause mating headaches and in turn long-term shooting accuracy. So really, your best bet IMO is get the two separate receivers from the same manufacturer, and most of the time the complete rifle will be slightly less than the separate receivers.

Before I became an AR home lego Tinkertoy builder addict, my very first AR complete gun purchase was a "true" mil-spec carbine with chrome-lined barrel. many years and countless thousands of rounds later that rifle is still in service today and still prints 1.5" @ 100 with bulk 5.56 ammo. That's the kind of rifle I'd recommend for a first-timer from a reputable manufacturer (look for one that vets like cause they feel it's close to what they used in service).

chadio

If you are willing to spend some dough.... look at (what I consider) some top - shelf AR's such as

- Noveske Rifleworks
- LaRue Tactical
- LMT (Lewis Machine Tool)
- Daniel Defense
- BCM (Bravo Company mfg)

10 plus years ago, I went with LMT and.... I do not regret the expense, because I wouldn't trade my rifle for anything.

Keep in mind that the Colt 6920 was considered the benchmark, they were $1000 back then. Yes, a person can build an AR for less money.... a friend of mine bought a stripped lower for about $150 and a PSA kit (everything else). I got a chance to shoot his rifle and it was wonderful. Plus, he learned every nut and bolt of the AR in the build process.

Best of luck in your AR journey.

dahermit

I assembled an AR from a complete upper from Palmetto Arms and a stripped lower with a parts kit. I did not have any problems. I wanted a facsimilia of a Car15. I put the scope on it to test handloads and never removed it. My only issue is that it seems to heavy for a carbine.

There are sites that instruct on how to assemble an AR if you do a Google search.
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-dsWTgCQTaLqySXXdDl_UJt

Skans

A couple of things. While not the norm, about 8 years ago when assembling an AR, I experienced an occasion when the takedown pin holes were just a tiny bit off on upper/lower receivers. For that reason, I generally prefer matched upper and lower receiver sets for the best fit. Just my 2 cents.

chadio

Here is a pic of an LMT CQB16 (exactly like my 10 year old rifle)

Attachments

• lmt.jpg
    lmt.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 24

bbqncigars

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on ARs, google "what would stoner do video". My last (and this time I mean it) build followed the 2020 project except for the hanguard. The rifle weighs in at 5# 4oz empty with Holosun optic. It all started with matching PSA upper/lower which totaled $450 on sale. Now there are 4 1/2 ARs in the herd. Definitely addictive.

stagpanther

A couple of things. While not the norm, about 8 years ago when assembling an AR, I experienced an occasion when the takedown pin holes were just a tiny bit off on upper/lower receivers. For that reason, I generally prefer matched upper and lower receiver sets for the best fit. Just my 2 cents.
That's what I was referring to--but didn't put it into as precise terms as you.

TRX

So, order the upper and lower receivers first and make sure the pin holes line up. If they don't, measure them and see which one's incorrect and send it back.

I built two mixmaster ARs; everything fit together just fine after some cursing at the cotter pin in the bolt.

Ed4032

They are not addicting at all. I can quit anytime I want to. I just have needs for something different that’s all.

It is the erector set for adults. Let the fun begin.

imashooter

I have a S&W M&P 15-22, but no experience with centerfire ARs (yes...such people still exist).

I'm considering an AR-15. I don't want to build one from a bunch of parts, but I wonder how simple and foolproof it is to put together a complete lower and complete upper. Would I need any special tools or additional parts (other than magazines) to get up and running?
Don't understand your meaning of "put together a complete lower and complete upper". If taken literally, it's an easy 30 second (approx) task.

kymasabe

Don't let these guys shame you into not buying an entry level gun, and talk you into buying a complete Daniel Defense, or Noveske, or Spikes Tactical, or God-forbid, a Colt. There are probably hundreds of thousands ok perfectly content AR owners out there who bought an upper and a lower from Palmetto State Armory, spent less than $500, pinned the two halves together in 30 seconds, and have a fully functional AR that they're happy to own, and does just fine at the range .
Someone did suggest sticking to same brand for your upper and lower. That I do agree with. I'd stay away from Stoner and maybe Bear Creek (though B.C. has improved a little in the past year or two). PSA is good to go, and I've had good luck with Anderson too, (oh no, the poverty pony).

Last edited:
Don't intend to be a Bear Creek fanboy, but I've put at least 5 Bear Creek uppers together with various Spike's Tactical and Anderson and Stag lowers and have yet to have a bad matchup or be disappointed in the uppers. Sorry, I just hate seeing the myths perpetuated. Are there occasional problems associated with Bear Creek? Yes. Do they have a good reputation for making them right? Yes, as far as I've read.