Novak Sight Problem

Dog Confetti

I recently picked up a Springfield 1911 (new) with factory installed Novak sights. After 300 rounds or so the rear sight fell off 'cause the set screw hadn't been tightened down and it was held in place with adhesive only. It turns out the screw was frozen in place and I thrashed my allen wrench trying to loosten it. Springfield replaced it, but this one was frozen as well...again they replaced it, but this time the screw was already stripped.

Has anyone else had similar problems with either Novak (bad product) or Springfield (lousy quality control)?

Needless to say I've got a case of the ass because I've been sitting on an otherwise good pistol that might as well be a shotgun for 3 months now.

Springer45

I had a similar experience. I bought a used Springer Ultra Compact recently and took it to the range right away. The first two mags were fired at 21 feet and were really nice and tight. I ran the target out to 35 feet and noticed the third mag opened up, stringing horizontally. Mag 4 was worse yet. Then I noticed the rear sight (a Novak) was way off kilter, and quite loose. The rangemaster had some hex wrenches, but not a 1/16". So I was done shooting for the day.

I messed around with it at home and got the wrench stuck on the screw. Then I damaged the screw threads trying to get it off the wrench. Then I damaged the threads on the Novak trying to get the screw back in (I was gentle, but impatient!).

I emailed Novak, and got a prompt response saying they couldn't help me because Springfield uses a 5-44 screw rather than the Novak standard 5-40 (which explained why I couldn't find one at any hardware store in my area.) Anyway, I emailed Springfield and they sent me a replacement screw at no charge, and a quick tap fixed the sight threads.

It has come loose once since I got it all back together again, but I tightened it a bit more aggressively and it's held up for the last several range sessions.

Not a big deal, but a bit aggravating nonetheless. I would have been more ticked-off had it been a new purchase rather than used.

Dog Confetti

Apparently they (Springfield) don't doo Trijicon...they're sending me another sight. 4th time's the charm right? I hate to be forced to say it, but I'll never buy another Springfield (which is too bad cause I had an M1A in mind), and I'll never buy anything with Novak sights again.

BigGun97B

Don't give up on the M1A, from what I've heard and seen they are mighty fine. I plan on springing for one myself one of these days.

SA generally has very good customer service. Right after the Gun Ban Bill died I got ahold of SA about the hi cap mags for my XD40 Tactical. The lady on the other end of the line told me I would have my mags in a very short time. Well, after the short amount of time passed and no mags I called them. I was told she was mistaken and I would probably have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks. All because everyone in the free world was buying these mags. I told them I wouldn't be able to use the weapon at all because I sent in the 2- 10 round mags for replacement 12 rounders and went ahead and ordered two more 12 rounders. They sent me all 4 mags in a week. I was a happy camper. I will continue to buy their stuff.

Dave Sample

It is very easy to install a larger screw in these sights. We have used them for three years as is and have had 0 prooblems. Perhaps because we have the Action Works install them. He has sold one point three million of them so they must work for some folks. SA's are Metric 1911's.