Noticeable "kick" difference?

Harry Callahan

Well, I have narrowed my choices of a rifle down to a Browning Medallian A-Bolt or a Remington 700. I am just trying to settle on a caliber now. I think I still like the .308, but was wondering about the venerable .30-'06 or even the 300 Winchester Magnum. Obviously, the 300 would have more kick but how much can I expect from these calibers? Also, is there alot more choice as far as cost is concerned if I go with the .308 since it is a military round? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lycanthrope

THe 30-06 and .308 feel about the same to me in the same loadings. The .300 win mag is adds about 25% more to my perception.

My A bolt is pretty light.....adding weight helps tame recoil a lot and the Remington may be a bit heavier. The Remington is certainly easier to find aftermaket parts for.

BUSTER51

you can't go wrong with a 30.06,as far as Browning or Remington that's up to you .if you want to save some money that you can put into a good scope try a Savage they are great shooters and at least as good as as the others with a better triger at almost half the price.they ain't as pretty but they are tack drivers right out of the box .:D

Fremmer

Stick with the .308. My Remington 700 converted me to the .308. :)

The .308 is accurate as heck, won't pound your shoulder, and has plenty of power.

Oh yeah. A "noticeable difference" in kick between a 300 mag and a .308/.30-06? That's one way to put it. :D

trooper3385

What are you going to be hunting? If it is going to mainly be deer, I would go with the 308 or 06. As far as either a remington or browning, go with what is more comfortable for you. The medallian has a pretty fancy stock on it and with the finish on it, it seems to show scatches and dings a little more. I love the action on my a-bolt, but I have the synthetic stalker. The remington 700 is an excellent rifle and speaks for its self. I have a Weatherby Mark V deluxe and everytime I take it out hunting, I'm worried more about dinging up the stock than anything. I pretty much just use it if I'm going to be sitting in a deer blind so I don't have to worry about that. The fancy stock rifles are real nice to look at, but that might be something to think about if it's going to be used as an everyday hunting rifle.

44 AMP

Staff
Kick

Kick is the most indivdual thing about shooting. Everybody feels it a little different. The most important thing is how the stock fits you. Then gun weight. In equal weight guns of the same caliber, one with a stock that doesn't fit you right will seem to kick a lot harder.

.308 vs .30-06? In rifles of equal weight (and properly fitting stocks) some people can tell the difference in kick, and others can't.

.300 Mag? Definately more kick than the other two. More blast as well. For some people, blast makes the rifle kick harder. Physics says it doesn't, but kick (recoil) is about what you feel.

roadwarrior

I think 44 AMP just explained what I was thinking. Between the Browning A-bolt and the Remington 700, just find the one that fits your body the best. You will find a proper fitting rifle will shoot a lot better for you and the recoil will be more managable. Also, the Remington 700 CDL model has a built in recoil pad.

Pointer

A "noticeable difference" in kick between a 300 mag and a .308/.30-06? That's one way to put it.

The muzzle velocity differential from .308 to 30-06 is about 200fps with the same weight bullet...

Many people prefer that significant benefit...

The .300WinMag is about 200fps faster than the 30-06 with a slightly heavier bullet (Say a 165gr vs a 180gr)

Many people prefer that significant benefit...

It also depends on the animal you will hunt the most...

If you will be hunting elk... the .300WinMag is hard to beat...

Your second choice for elk would be the 30-06 and then the 30-06 SHORT (.308)
Remember the .22 short?

If you are exclusively deer hunting then all three are acceptible except for the price of ammo... Be sure you choose the correct bullet type so as not to pencil-hole the animal or make a bloody mess of it...

Bullet construction is a whole 'nother subject...

The heavier the bullet and the lighter the rifle, the more the recoil... it is not the caliber, per se...
The ONLY place you will ever notice the recoil is on the benchrest...

+1 on the proper fit of the rifle to your anatomy... but a proper recoil pad will render that moot. Get the
60 degree A-bolt, but choose a model with composite stock. :)

I recommend you get the 30-06... and use 130 grain bullets for deer, and 165 to 180 grain (premium grade) bullets for elk.

Fremmer

The .300 Mag sure feels like it kicks more. And the numbers support that. Check out this Ballistic Chart that compares all three calibers. I compared three 180 grain Remington Express pointed soft points in each caliber. At the muzzle, the 300 mag produces about 600 more foot-pounds of energy than the .30-06. And that is (and does) mean more kick, especially when you are target shooting 30 of 'em.

Trajectory is where the 300 mag shines. Check out the short and long range trajectory tables; at 300 + yards, the 300 mag doesn't drop nearly as much as the other calibers do.

U.S.SFC_RET

To be truthful about the matter between .308 and the 30.06 is I cannot tell the difference. I think that you can be a bit more creative when reloading the 30.06 cartridge. .308 cartridges on the other hand can be found on the cheap, just don't expect to hit MOA with them.