• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

nothing very important

longhair

i don't know if anybodies here to answer this since everyone's gone to the shot show, and it ain't a very big deal, but it keeps showing the last time i was here as 1-23-99.
my cookies are on everything works fine, i was just wondering why it does'nt update me. like i said no big deal, just wanted to bitch about something. ;)

------------------
fiat justitia

longhair-
What is your Browser software? Have you hecked to make certain that you haven't disabled cookies? Have you tried a shift/reload on the main forum page?
Rich

longhair

Rich, my browser is netscape, but don't know which ver. off hand, yes, i've "hecked" :) my cookies, no i haven't tried a shift/reload, but i will. like i said i really ain't no big deal, just my curiousity getting the best of me.thanks..............bc

------------------
fiat justitia

longhair

Rich, i did the shift/reload thing, it brought me up to date. thanks again.

------------------
fiat justitia

Version 4.5 is available free. If the shift/reload doesn't work, you may try that.

Barring that, try this:
-Go to your Netscape Folder
-Open the file "cookies.txt"
-Delete all references to The Firing Line

That'll start you with a clean slate.
Rich

ShadedDude

Clear your history out, and delete your cookie file...most likly what is happening is you typed in something like www.TheFiringLine.com and when you use the history it comes up with something like www.theFiringLine.com or something with a lowercase and a cap.

You can see this in your cookies if you have 4 TFL entry's. You should only have 2. If you have 2 and not 4 then forget everything I said. :)

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
I have Billy Gates' Internet Explorer. I've noticed the "anomalies" you mentioned:

If I leave TFL and come back later, I must "toss my cookies" beforehand or I don't get the newer entries. Then I must refresh every forum page and every thread page after selecting it or coming back to it (after being elsewhere).

"Refresh"ing on the "welcome" page doesn't help unless I have deleted the cookies beforehand.

The "bullet holes" and "red sights", the folder colors, and the colors of the thread titles seem to be somewhat random at least part of the time.

I don't know what all this means (if anything) but I hope it will help you. In the interim, I'll stay busy "lurking" & "posting" and enjoying TFL by looking at the clock and "refresh"ing as needed. When our overloaded, "back country" server is busy it's kind of a pain - but I'll live with it.

BTW, "toss my cookies" includes the following Windows folders: Cookies, History, Recent, Temporary, Temporary Internet Files.

As I said, hope this helps.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Rich,
Part of MY problem is I get so interested in the info that I forget to keep accurate track of the tech stuff.

If it would help you or Spark to test something from here, let me know. I have absolutely NO technical expertise but if you e-mail your instructions I'll print 'em out and follow 'em.

Otherwise, I'll hush 'cause I know y'all are working on it.

longhair

Rich, i loaded netscape 4.5, it took an act of congress, but got it loaded. we'll see how it works. by the way, what's the deal w/ all that encryption stuff? should of told'em i was a terrorist. ;)

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited 01-31-99).]