Nothing says "I love you" like cold steel

Carbon_15

About a month ago, my wife asked me what I wanted for Valentines day. Half jokeing, half hopeing, I told her a pre-agreement Smith .357 with a 4inch barrel. We had to do Valentines day tonight, since she will be out of town for her baby shower tommorrow. well you arent going to beleave what I just unwraped. A used pre-arangement 4inch stainless 686 that could pass for brand new. To put iceing on the cake, she even bought it from my favorite gun dealer (The Gunsmith in Columbia, SC... Saleam and Husane are great folks). I guess she listens to me more than I think when I'm rambeling about how mad the snobs at Shooters Choice made me and how nice the guys at The Gunsmith are. I'm takeing it back to Husane tommorrow to have him do something about that (IMO) ugly S&W factory finish and fit a nice set of wood stocks (any suggestions on type of wood that looks good with satin stainless..Im leaning towards smooth kingwood). I always thought the factory finish on S&W revolvers looked like a bad wax job with all the 'swirlies', so Im going to have it re-done in a nice satin tone.
Some times we just dont give our wives enough credit.

Attachments

• 686.jpg
    686.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Erich

You've got a keeper, there!

(And the wife sounds nice, too! ;) )

Somebody was going to say it, might as well be me!

RogerC

Grips

The Goncalo Alves wood that S&W used a few years back really looks fantastic on a stainless 686.

rock_jock

That gun is, IMO, one of the very best revos ever produced. They are absolutely a joy to shoot.

BTW, I agree 100% on the finish. I hate the finish on my 686 and 617. Any suggeestions on a better finish? Who is Husane?

Carbon_15

Who is Husane? "the man" when it comes to gun finishing and the owner of my favorite gunshop, The Gunsmith, here in SC. Currently he is re-blueing my pre-GCA PPK .22, and the only person I would trust with that little gem. A nice satin bead blast or high polish on a stainless gun should be a pretty easy job for any competent gunsmith.

Carbon_15

Just some antique ruby earings. You cant hunt or target shoot with jewlery, what good is it...I would say its uterly useless, except that you can pawn it for ammo;)

But she seemed pleased.

Kentucky Rifle

Carbon...

It's not that we don't WANT to give them more credit, it's that we just haven't figured them out! Think back. How many times has she shocked the ---- out of you in the last year, or the last month? After 25 years of marriage, all I can do is "guess" what she'll do next. I'm wrong 99% of the time. You get used to it!:confused:

:confused: :confused:

KR

P.S. You did good on the earrings. Lucky.

UltimaThule

...it's that we just haven't figured them out!

Actually, I heard that a guy did figure out the big secret about women. Apparantly he died laughing before he could pass it on to the rest of us :D

OK, I'll ask the question: Carbon, does she have a sister?

Carbon_15

Fresh from the gunsmith, wearing a new bead blasted satin stainless finish. Got the trigger slicked up while I was at it. It was nice before, but its like ice on glass on marbles now.
Now if my Hogue Kingwood grips would just hurry up and get here.

Attachments

• 686-rf.jpg
    686-rf.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 78

Herb Leventhal

686 S&W

Yep it is one beautiful piece (since I own one myself) but get rid of those ugly rubber grips. I had an older pair of original S&W finger grooved wood grips that look great on my revolver. I would also clean the carbon off the cylinder face at least once just to see how the gun looks.
Herb

Carbon_15

I intend to Herb. Just as soon as Hogue desides to send me my smooth, fingergrove kingwood grips. I can't wait. The have already sent me the checkerd rosewood grips for my PPK .22, but its still in the shop being blued:mad: So I have grips for a gun that is still in the shop, and no grips for the gun I just got back...my kinda luck.
BTW, Must be a shadow in the picture, cause I did scrub all the carbon off so I could get to see it looking spotless atleast once. Thats why I wish the grips were here. I'm going shooting tommorrow and I doubt I'll scub the cylinder face to perfectly clean again. Are there any 'easy' ways to get that black stain off? Leadaway cloth, fitz?

1goodshot

I just put a set of black silver wood grips on my ss colt 1991 and they look great, I think they would look good on your 686 also.

Carbon_15

Black Silver wood grips...I have seen those listed in catalogs, but never seen a picture. What do they look like? Got any pics?

Herb Leventhal

Carbon_15:
My technique for removing the carbon from the cylinder face. Cut a small 1 inch square from any of the leadaway cloths, soak it in shooter's Choice or Hoppe's Benchrest soln. Then take a 3/8 dowell cut off 5 inches and carve a chilsel point on one end of the dowell. Then take the 1 inch lead away square place it on the cylinder face and using the chilsel point of the wooden dowell clean the carbon off the cylinder. I devised this method of cleaning 44 magnum revolvers about ten years ago. It works very well with the least expenditure of energy and supplies.
Herb