Not too damn wore out, is it?

Lavan

This is my old FIRST gun. Got in 1949 and USED EXTENSIVELY. :cool:

512 Remington that has kilt many many rabbits, birds, squirrels, imaginary Indians, and various cans of tin.

Other than a stock refinish about 20 years ago, all I've done is keep it clean and shoot it once in a while.

Served ADMIRABLY until I "graduated" to....better :confused: 22s.

Shot it today and it works like it always did.

A keeper and a chunk of nostalgia. Damn, I had some good times with this thing. :)

Oh, it's so old it was made without serial number. :D

Attachments

• P1040032.JPG
    P1040032.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 277
  • P1040033.JPG
    P1040033.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 181
  • P1040039.JPG
    P1040039.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 161

Doyle

I love my old 512. Mine is the "x" model (factory scope grooves). It is in need of serious restoration as it spent much of its early life riding in my grandfathers boat. One day, I'll do a restoration job on it.

Last edited:

Model12Win

Keep it.

Iron sights is FINE on a .22 rifle. You have a classic and wonderful gun and it sounds like it has some memories attached! :D

Lavan

It DOES get temperamental from time to time.

That feed system needs METICULOUS cleaning and lube.

Today it worked fine all the way til I got it home and couldn't get the bolt out for cleaning.
Fortunately, I am familiar with what is inside most guns and it was easy to fix (adjust)

When it quit before, I took it to a ...GUNSMITH...:mad: who kept it 3 months and didn't fix it.

There's a touchy screw on the inside of the receiver that can need tweaking every 20 years or so. :D

Today it was just a speck of hangup crud.

:eek:

Slamfire

The wood on the cheap rifles of the era is better than the wood on the mid priced today.

I am glad to see someone still using a vintage rimfire.

Larry Moore tested the magazine fed version of your rifle in the Dec 1956 issue of Guns Magazine. http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G1256.pdf Larry Moore was a NRA Wimbledon Cup Winner, 600 yard winner, and outstanding Small Bore Prone Shooter. A shooter friend of his said Larry started his Government career at Springfield Armory, 1938 or so, working for John Garand.

Larry had his own machine shop in the basement and he modified the cheap 22lr's he shot to add scopes and sling mounts, but basically, the rifles are otherwise off the shelf.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Those guns were part of the Remington "22 quartet" which consisted of the 510 (single shot), 511 (box magazine), 512 (tubular magazine) and 513 (box magazine target). All were excellent rifles and a lot of the old ones (including my 511) are still going strong. Later, Remington put Nylon stocks (Ahuuugggh) on them all except the 513.)

Jim

hps1

Wish I had taken pictures of the 510 I was given at age 9 by a close friend of my father's. I shot it for years, taught my wife, then my son to shoot on that rifle. In later years, I was the instructor for our DCM club and the Mossberg M44's issued for youth program by DCM were far too heavy for some of our youngsters.

I cut the barrel to 18+" and dropped it in a 513T target rifle stock (which were readily available as surplus in the '80's and interchangeable w/510 stock). Put a rail and hand stop plus a set of peep sights on it and VOILA...cutest little target rifle you ever saw. Couldn't pry it out of the hands of those kids.:)

Have since taught my grandkids to shoot with it and it is now shared property between the grandson and granddaughter.

Great little rifles!

Regards,
hps

jdscholer

Here's one of my 500 series Remingtons that I built from a conglomeration of parts that came from Ebay and gun forum members. Barrel and stock are 521-T, and every thing else is from various 500 sumpthins. Scope is an old Weaver V8, with external adjusters. I drilled and tapped the receiver for mounts since this rifle was non original anyway. I've got two other 511's, and love all of these rifles. jd

CLC

I have my mother's remington 511 she shot when on the highschool shooting team. I love the gun and it's deadly accurate.

jdscholer

I've gotten to where none of the new stuff impresses me in the least compared to these old rifles. You can't improve on their accuracy, walnut stocks, and simple all steel construction.

The last one I got, (and the most accurate) cost me 80 bucks. It was a 511 missing it's magazine. It's the version with grooved receiver, so it was easy to get quality rings and slap on a Weaver K-4 from the same period. I'd put it along side the new CZ's or anything else for group size. jd

Had a 512. I paid for mine with Chicago Tribune paper route money. Shot a bushel basket of cartridges thru it. A friend of my Fathers (drinking buddy) stole it from the back porch of my parents home.
A all steel rifle but as plain jane as a rifle could get. Although very reliable.

Reloadron

I like the old Remington 500 series guns.

Rimfires1.png

Without looking its either the 511 or 512 I have two of. Thinking I'll give one to the grandson. My first rifle was the pictured 510P back in 1958.

Ron

deadcoyote

I have a big collection of old and new .22 rifles. I got hooked on .22's by the acquisition of a 1947 manufactured Remington 521 Junior Targetmaster. I have since chased that dragon with about 18 more rifles of all makes and vintages only to find I've never found another rifle that shoots as good as the 521 JT. I really need to buy a nice one so I can gift my tired old one to my son.

Mosin-Marauder

I have a 514 and it is extremely accuratr, made in 1949, IIRC. I sort of wish It had scope grooves or a drilled and tapped receiver, as if it had a scope, it would soooo dominate at the long range .22 matches. But, I am stuck with notch and post, but it's fine with me. I had it relied and I refinished the stock. As it was very rusty and not taken good care of. The 510 series seems to all be very good rifles.

sirgilligan

I was honored to get my Grandfathers 511. He bought it when he returned from WWII after he served in the U.S. Army Infantry and participated in the liberation of the Philippines. The barrel says "The ScoreMaster" model 511.