Not So Perfecta

Grey_Lion

It astounds me that out of the 1000+ .45 range brass I'm working on, I only have 4 PERFECTA.
And I'm glad as I can't say I trust a brass producer that can not once center their primer flash hole......... see attached,

Thoughts on whether it actually matters from our experienced band of rogues?

I'm of the opinion a miss-aligned flash hole may cause an uneven powder burn and result in heavier GSR residue and smoking.

Attachments

• not so perfecta.jpg
    not so perfecta.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 110

2wheelwander

I am no scientist and a novice reloader at best, but I wouldn't worry one whit about an off center flash hole. Thats like indexing spark plugs to get the last .00001% of combustion on an extreme high performance engine.

Unless you are shooting long range competition at a high level I'd have at it. The last round went bang and your gun didn't blow, so . . . .

reddog81

I’d toss the 4 cases in the trash. I’d be more concerned about bending a decapping pin next time I reload the cases.

big al hunter

And I'm glad as I can't say I trust a brass producer that can not once center their primer flash hole.........

They're not centered...but they are consistent:D. Good opportunity to experiment a little and see if you notice a difference.

Geezerbiker

I've heard the same about their .223Rem brass but I bought a box of Perfect .270Win for my grandson's rifle and all the primer flash holes are centered.

I bought a bag of once fired .223 at a local gun shop some years back. It was supposed to be split between Rem and Win cases but more than half was PMC. I'd say about half of the PMC cases had the flash hole off center. The bag was still a good deal.

I processed about 500 PMC cases and I'll load and shoot them out of my AR15 when it's finished. That way I won't care if I loose some of them while I'm dialing in the extraction...

Tony

Old 454

In 223 when I find Perfecta cases they go in the brass recycle bucket.
Not chancing broken pins on that crap

Charlie98

In 223 when I find Perfecta cases they go in the brass recycle bucket.
Not chancing broken pins on that crap

Ditto that. I think Perfecta is one of the headstamps that has stepped 9mm cases, if memory serves. All of it goes in the scrap bucket.

As far as it goes, I don't really keep a lot of weirdo brass... I concentrate on 3 or 4 typically domestic headstamps and the rest goes in the bucket. Perfecta, GFL, Geco, S&B, A-Merc, Fiocchi, the list goes on... is all scrap crap to me.

mikld

I am no scientist and a novice reloader at best, but I wouldn't worry one whit about an off center flash hole. Thats like indexing spark plugs to get the last .00001% of combustion on an extreme high performance engine.

Off center flash holes might not present an ignition problem, but it is indicative of poor manufacturing and worse quality control. While not easily detectable, I would say with extensive testing, off center flash holes will effect ignition. Perhaps just a few fps difference or erratic ignition, but a spark going straight into a hole to ignite the powder is much more effective/efficient than the same spark trying to either fit in a smaller hole (off center and partially covered by the primer) or bouncing off the pocket bottom before making it's way to the powder.

But, one of the biggest complaints, besides poor quality, is depriming off center flash holes often results in broken depriming pins/stems...

Grey_Lion

I’d toss the 4 cases in the trash. I’d be more concerned about bending a decapping pin next time I reload the cases.

Best point made.

Wasn't cleaning these for me but for trade, and I'll crush them and toss them in the recycling can to prevent someone else bending a pin on them.

kmw1954

IDK, I have 4 boxes of 9mm Perfecta that are already on their 3rd reloading and all seem to be holding up well.

LE-28

Other than the primer hole being off center they don't look that bad. But the primer hole being off center is why I pick them out no matter how good they look and pitch them.

They remind me to much of Amerc.

CommandoX

I ran into the same situation but with .44 Mag GFL brass. Frankly, I was surprised because I've had really good experiences with other calibers of GFL. In the end, I decided to toss them into the scrap bucket. Ya, it hurt....they were all shiny.