NOT in an AR....But a Bolt Action: 7.62 vs 350L

What you all think?

Which would you choose, if these were your only choices for a hunting rifle out to 150, maybe 200 yards.

7.62x39 or 350 Legend.... Bolt action, short action, light-weight hunting rifles.

I don't need to 're-tell' the ballistics, 'cause you have read them on this forum over and over.

LdbeeCP.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

That's a hard decision. If you reload 7.62x39 all day long. If you don't 350 legend will have better choices in hunting ammo.

Why have you narrowed it down to these 2? Lots of other good options in light short action guns. Like 243, 6.5cm, or even 308.

chris in va

Hunting what?

X39 is limited with dedicated hunting bullets, you WON'T be using the Wolf hollow points as they don't expand.

There's gotta be other choices for you. That being said I do have a CZ 527 in x39 and adore the little carbine.

Butzbach

Probably no place in our galaxy that doesn't have 7.62 x 39 ammo.;)
It was surprising to note that in my necks of the woods, (Port Arthur and Navasota, Texas) there were orphaned boxes of 350 Legend available 2019-2021 on the shelves at Walmart and Academy long after all the 7.62 x 39 was gone like a bad Vodka hangover.

jetinteriorguy

Back when the first Mini 30’s came out it became my deer rifle. I liked how it handled, with a little work it became a sub 2 MOA shooter and since most of my shots back in NoDak were on running deer under 200 yds it was nice having a semi auto that would easily stay on target. Deer up there are pretty big but I didn’t have any trouble dropping them. I never had to track one further than a hundred yards, and most often under 25 yds. These were hand loads though, I forget what bullets I used.

Siggy-06

I would only go with the 350 Legend if your local government requires a straight walled cartridge to legally hunt there.

Nathan

350 Legend…..straight walled, good Starline brass, common bolt face, common shellholder, several hunting bullets available

7.62x39….brass unknown supply, bolt face is oddball, shellholder available, but uncommon, bullets? Few…

taylorce1

Shadow9mm said:
If you don't 350 legend will have better choices in hunting ammo.

Why have you narrowed it down to these 2?

There is probably more choices in hunting ammunition for the 7.62X39 than the .350 Legend if it weren't for the current ammunition situation. Most of it is 123-125 grain but right now I can find PPU, S&B, Underwood, Double Tap, and Winchester ammunition for the X39, and about the same amount of manufacturers selling .350 Legend ammunition 145-180 grain. If components and ammunition become more available hands down the 7.62X39 will have better support for any situation. Plus it's a far more versatile cartridge than the .350 Legend ever will be.

I know the OP just got a .350 Legend rifle in a bolt action. Other than that I don't know why he chose to compare it to the 7.62X39.

stagpanther

You won't find any in my house...

and last time I checked, there wan't any at our Walmart, either....
Our local Walmart has no ammo at all. Most of them base their purchasing decisions by an idiot who knows nothing about firearms (that's what a Walmart employee who works the firearms area told me).

HiBC

Straightwall aside, The small bolt rifles like a CZ or Howa make dandy 6,5 Grendels.
That would be my choice. But,to each their own!!

If you have the .350 Legend,by golly,use it,enjoy it, and so long as it serves you well,ignore the peanut gallery!!

Shadow9mm

Hunting what?

X39 is limited with dedicated hunting bullets, you WON'T be using the Wolf hollow points as they don't expand.

There's gotta be other choices for you. That being said I do have a CZ 527 in x39 and adore the little carbine.
The wolf hollow points do expand, But I would not recommend them for hunting anything but varmints.

9x19 , Heard great things about 6.5 grendel, especially if you reload.

Last edited:
OP here....

Well, I have them both. I just wondered what folks would choose.

Originally, I purchased my x39 bolt as a back-up if the GUbberment decided to take my AR's. I wanted a backup gun that could shoot my stash of ammo. Never really intended to hunt with it. Then I had an opportunity to hunt Whitetail.... and the x39 came out of the safe. Lasered 187 yards, I hit the deer right in the ticker and it ran about 30 yards and dropped dead. I was impressed with my little "Deer Getter".

I have had the x39 for 4 years now. It is a Howa Mini Action, 20" Sport Barrel, 2-7x32 scope. It is a shooter and with good ammo, I have poked paper at 1.2 MOA.

Then we moved this past summer, selling our house in the city... and using that equity to buy property west of the Continental Divide, that has really good hunting, but is a solid Oak Brush Thicket. ....Black Bear, Muley's and critters are abundant. My gun safe didn't have an appropriate 'brush gun', where ammo is cheap and abundant. After I saw 350 Legend ammo, deep on nearly every gun shop shelf.... I decided to dive in.

It is a Savage 110 Switchback from Sportsman Warehouse with a 1.25-4.5x32 scope. I haven't shot it yet, but once the temps warm and the ice and snow dissipate a little, I am headed to the range. I plan to shoot the 180gr soft points around the property.

Qul1NiJ.jpg

Shadow9mm

Makes sense to me. As a reloader I'm on the fence about the 350. I think its a very capable cartridge, but based on the design it seems a bit fickle in the bullet selection department. 7.62x39 has been around a lot longer and has a reasonable ammout of bullet choices for hunting, but brass casings are a lot less common.

stagpanther

7.62x39 has been around a lot longer and has a reasonable ammout of bullet choices for hunting, but brass casings are a lot less common.
Not sure about market conditions now--but it wasn't too long ago that you could fairly easily find x39 brass in bulk from vendors like midway. If you reload you should be able achieve velocities that approach or exceed 2500 fps with bullets like the 123 sst and 125 cavity back that are also quite accurate using powders like 1680, CFE BLK and shooter's world blackout.