not coming to battery

ammo.crafter

My ColtGov't mod 80 at times does not come to battery as the slide does not travel all the way forward.
Would a heavier slide spring be the way to go?
I am shooting reduced load (185gr @ 850f/s) and will incr to 900 f/s.

DETH_LIVES

I had a commander that was doing that...Have you tryed several different mags? Does it seem to be doing it on the the same round count? Mine was doing it on number 6 and 7 rounds in a Wilson Combat 8 rd mag and a Chip Power 8 rd around the same count...So I took out about 10 mags and keep shooting til I found the mags that seem to but the problem.. Then marked them and through them in the parts box....Now the problem seems to be fixed....99% of problems on the 1911 is the mag....

Harry Bonar

lock-up

Sir;
There are about 30 things that could cause this - find a knowledgeable smith on 1911s and get a "reliability" package done.
Harry B.

Jim Watson

That load ought to cycle the gun.
Does it work with factory loads?
If so, I suspect something in the bullet shape (What shape or style IS your bullet?) and its relationship with the chamber, ramps, or magazine.
Are these your reloads?
Might be easier to fix the ammo than to fix the gun.

velocette

Harry and Jim have the correct answers. Only one other quick idea. GMs like to run wet with lubricant. Any good quality firarms lubricant will suffice but the rails, hammer face, link, locking lugs and barrel bushing need a drop or two.
If you have been lubricating it like a glock, well, it needs more.

Roger

plainsman456

I have had something like that happen before.It was when shooting lead bullets,some lead had stuck to the chamber where the case mouth sits.Might be worth a look.

hockeysew

Typically the things I look for on a 1911 that is having issues on going into battery is:
1-Link length
2-Barrel lug engagement to slide
3-Barrel hood length
4-Bushing fit
5-Disconnector working smoothly and correct length.
6-Firing pin stop overhang
7-Recoil spring bind
8-Slide to frame fit
9-Disconnector groove in slide
They all can cause a slide to hang up.

Grease on the rails is a good place to start.

CowTowner

Make sure the primers are seated correctly. My Para will do the same if the primer is proud of the cartridge base.