Not broken in properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

the blur

I have a BAR that was not broken in properly. I just went to the range, and sighted in my scope, without thinking of barrel break-in. Now, it's not so accurate. It doesn't group well, and strings as it heats up.

Is there a way to start over, and stabilize the barrel ?

Snyper

There no such thing as "breaking in properly"

You shoot them and you clean them

If it's not accurate, it's due to some other variable

Theohazard

the blur said:
Even Browning has a break-in procedure on their website. And I know guys swear by it.
Companies make all sorts of claims, some true and some not. And people swear by all sorts of things, and much of it is nonsense.

There's no good evidence anywhere that breaking in a barrel will noticeably change the potential accuracy. Anecdotal evidence is just that; anecdotal. Even experts can't know for sure if breaking in a barrel is actually effective considering there are just too many variables involved.

The only way to begin to settle this question is to perform a blind scientific test with a large sample size and as few variables as possible. And I've never seen any references to any test like that. So until I see one, I'll remain skeptical.

NHSHOOTER

I have bought 2 brand new rifles in the past year and havent done anything special when "breaking them in" just shot, cleaned, shot, cleaned and they are both tack drivers, both bolt guns, Tikka lite 223 and Weatherby vanguard S2 243.

bumnote

Spent part of the X-Mass holiday with a guy who had the same problem with his new rifle. Trying to sight in the scope, groups went from OK to wide. He took the scope off of another rifle that he believed he shot the barrel out of.
He hadn't, it was the scope.

Bart B.

Having worn out my share of barrels, I've never "broken in" any of them. They started out so - so, ok or tack driving for accuracy. Never changed over the life of the barrel to when test groups opened up 50% over what they did when new.

97%+ of all commercial factory rifles have their barrels somewhat sloppily fit to their receivers; not full and even contact all the way around. When they're fired, the metal gets hot and expands. As the barrel expands at the high/hard contact point around its fit to the receiver, a stress starts at that axis. The barrel bends its muzzle off the intended place and bullets start moving away in some direction from the point of aim or zero. This is the main reason factory rifles are guaranteed to some level with only a few shots; typically 3. They (ought to) know after a few shots are fired, the barrel will bend as it gets hot and start walking shot impact away from the point of aim.

All my four new factory sporter rifles did that shot stringing stuff as they heated up. Same thing with two factory Winchester "match" rifles. The people I know who bought Remington's 40X centerfire match rifles all reported the same thing. Few, if any, factory rifles have their receiver faces squared up with the threads barrels screw into.

Yours might be fixed if a gunsmith could take the barrel off, face the receiver square with the barrel thread axis, then shim the barrel so it clocks back in correctly for headspace and other parts to align properly. If it still walks shots after that, then the barrel is not stress relieved properly and bends on the stress axis as it heats up.

Or shoot no faster than once every 5 minutes.

Learn how your rifle walks shoots as the barrel heats up, then make a sight adjustment every shot or two until the barreled action stays hot and shots no longer walk around.

Last edited:

zeke

Have always understood the term "breaking in a barrel" in reference to smoothing the bore, not changing the fit of barrel to receiver, or the fit of the receiver to stock. Of course others may have a different understanding of it.

Have broken in multiple pistol or rifle barrels, generally they did not get more accurate.

Am of belief every brand barrel is a rule onto itself, and saying what will work for one specific barrel, does not mean it will work for another. There are different rifling techniques, production steps etc that can affect how smooth the bore is.

Have also seen some semi autos get "broken in", generally they just operated smoother.

Just to make it more obtuse, there might be barrels that actually shoot more accurate dirty?

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
The BAR (unless you mean the light machinegun) is a sporting rifle. How many shots will be needed to make it heat up and when would a hunter get that many shots at a deer?

Jim

Doyle

^ What he said. When sighting in a hunting type rifle at the range - never shoot fast enough to let the barrel even get warm. Shoot a round, chat with the guy next to you for a while, shoot another round, chat some more, shoot the 3rd round then check your grouping.

SIGSHR

Carlos Hathcock cleaned his rifles because he was a Marine.
Breaking in is advised for a new motor vehicle to allow the parts to get used to each other, smooth out various surfaces, etc., the usual procedure being to drive it around town at low speeds for a month or so, I have seen recommendations that appliances such as washing machines be allowed to "settle in". Putting 200 rounds or so through a new semiauto pistol before using it as carry gun is recommended.
Back when I read the gun magazines regularly I don't recall any of the gurus mentioning barrel break in, they emphasized tightening screws, making sure the trigger functioned properly, did not rub against the stock, perhaps allowing the barrel and action to settle in the stock, etc.

reynolds357

I personally get peace of mind knowing I am not wasting precious barrel life on shooting and cleaning for no good reason. To each his own. In a long range Bench rest rifle, you can easily waste 20% of your barrels competitive life "breaking it in."

az_imuth

Even Browning has a break-in procedure on their website. And I know guys swear by it.

It's not too difficult to imagine a motive for a firearm manufacturer to place a statement like that on their website.

Nathan

Barrel break in is a waste of time.

Cleaning is important. Clean when accuracy begins to degrade. Over time, cleaning in an accuracy minded high power rifle should be every 40-100 rounds....depends on your accuracy std. Guns with a lower std like typical AR's can go longer.

Trigger and action break in can have a small but noticible change.

What is your BAR shooting now, accuracy wise?

stagpanther

Carlos Hathcock cleaned his rifles because he was a Marine.
Breaking in is advised for a new motor vehicle to allow the parts to get used to each other, smooth out various surfaces, etc., the usual procedure being to drive it around town at low speeds for a month or so, I have seen recommendations that appliances such as washing machines be allowed to "settle in". Putting 200 rounds or so through a new semiauto pistol before using it as carry gun is recommended.
Back when I read the gun magazines regularly I don't recall any of the gurus mentioning barrel break in, they emphasized tightening screws, making sure the trigger functioned properly, did not rub against the stock, perhaps allowing the barrel and action to settle in the stock, etc.

I'm guessing Carlos got and did whatever he wanted with the rifles he used while serving as a Marine sniper.

This is another one of those subjects that bring up endless debates (when we're done with this one, let's talk about the use of steel-case cartridges in AR's). My conclusion over the years is that it really boils down to not so much what the best regimen is in regards to barrel life is as what the best regimen that results in repeatable, predictable accuracy.

I do follow manufacturer's recommendations--one less reason for them to invalidate the warranty if nothing else. If they said sacrifice goat's blood during a full moon to ensure better accuracy and longer barrel life--yeah, I'd probably do it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.