Not A Rifle Shooter. So, How Nad Am I? (Part II)

Joe_Pike

Not A Rifle Shooter. So, How Bad Am I? (Part II)

Well, I installed the Volquartsen target hammer and sold a gun I didn't need and bought a Magpul X-22 Hunter stock to see how I liked it. The stock is...meh. The target hammer makes a big difference except the trigger plunger sticks sometimes. That's weird because the trigger plunger spring is all that is changed when the target hammer is installed.
Anyway, the groups did tighten up some, the best being 5/8" at 50 yards. (I didn't show the top group since I was expecting a cease fire to be called and was hurrying.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210805_165611_copy_816x443.jpg
    20210805_165611_copy_816x443.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210805_165943_copy_577x429.jpg
    20210805_165943_copy_577x429.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Pahoo

Very nice !!!

That's weird because the trigger plunger spring is all that is changed when the target hammer is installed.
You mean that this is the only sprig that required changing. Keep working it dry and it should loosen up. Otherwise Pull it and clean out the pocket. I know you didn't want to here that. !!!! ..... :(

I really like your set-up and performance. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Joe_Pike

You mean that this is the only sprig that required changing.

That was poorly worded on my part. I meant that the plunger itself wasn't changed. They just supply a new spring.

Rimfire5

It looks to me like a Ruger 10-22 carbine action and barrel with a Magpul stock.
It could be a Kidd action, but probably not because you wouldn't have to change the trigger.
IMO, Kidd triggers are about as good as you can buy.

Looks like the stock has two spacers in the butt to lengthen the stock length.
That is great if you have long arms. I use spacers on my adjustable stocks for that reason.
If you don't have long arms, it could create too long a pull for you.
One of my shorter buddies literally can't shoot my rifles comfortably and has to fight the stock length to get into shooting position. One just can't be consistent in setting up if the stock doesn't fit.

You didn't say what ammo you were shooting.
It does make a difference.
If it was match ammo from a rest, not too good.
If if was cheap ammo from a rest (maybe with quoted muzzle velocities over 1200 -1250 fps) not so bad.
If you were shooting off-hand or without a front rest and rear bag, pretty good.

Remember, no matter how you were shooting, you are just getting used to the rifle and the trigger.
A .22LR rifle is light and easily muscled.
Your groups look to me like you might have been moving around some, either in and out on the scope and/or changing your set up between shots.
A very small change in set up position will open up groups - that is not the rifle but "shooter induced variation".

All of my 10-22s shoot best with match ammo - CCI Std Velocity, SK Std Plus and Rifle Match shoot well and are moderately priced, by today's standards.
SK Rifle Match shoots slightly better but the accuracy depends on the lot.
Lot-to-lot variation can be significant in lower cost and even moderate cost ammos.
You paying a lot more for premium match ammos with expensive quality control processes. But I have seen the difference in accuracy, especially at 100 yards.

My best group averages have been with Lapua Center-X and Midas Plus but they are pretty pricey. Lapua X-Act is in another league both in accuracy and price.
High cost Eley (Tenex and Match) shoot best in tight chambers.
They are quality tested with Anschutz actions.
Semi-autos, almost by definition, don't have tight chambers.
I have two bolt-actions that shoot Eley extremely well, but in my 10-22s or even my Kidd the high cost Eley ammos are a waste of money.

Most other Eley ammos are not so chamber sensitive - Edge shoots well in my 10-22s.
Norma Match shoots slightly better than Norma Tactical.

Enjoy experimenting with your new rifle.
Hopefully you will be able to buy enough different ammos to find what your rifle will shoot best.
As you get more comfortable with it, I have no doubt that your groups sizes will get smaller.

Pahoo

Don't know why ???

One thing that comes to mind is that the OEM plunger hold is sloppy. In fact, if you take a good look, It isn't square and tilts to one side. The spring has to be binding. By the way, the upgraded trigger return spring, does make a difference.

Be Safe !!!

Joe_Pike

It looks to me like a Ruger 10-22 carbine action and barrel with a Magpul stock.

Sorry, I had mentioned this in the other thread and forgot to mention it here. Yes, standard wood stock 10/22 carbine with pencil barrel that I just put a Volquartsen target hammer in Sunday afternoon. Magpul stock with Vortex 2-7 rimfire scope.

You didn't say what ammo you were shooting

CCI standard velocity with the forend setting on a bag and me holding the stock. Yes, I'm moving some (Not sure how to stop. I freely admit that I don't know what I'm doing). I'm doing this purely for fun and don't want to spend any more money on the gun. I'll have to work on things on my end.
One of the problems is that I feel rushed at the range. It's a public range and you never know when they will call a cease fire. Sometimes it's after 15 minutes, sometimes 25 minutes. And, like I mentioned in the other thread, other than shooting an AR with a red dot at defensive distances, I've never been a rifle shooter so this is all new to me. This is only the third or fourth time I've shot this rifle and I have a lot to learn.

Rimfire5

When I get a new gun, I get focused on the new features, the feel of the stock, etc, just to confirm everything is working right.
That is normal but not conducive to accurate shooting.
It takes a while to get focused on the task of trying to put every shot in the same hole.

I found that I had to get into to a "self awareness" mode, monitoring where the rifle is fitting, feeling if I am pressuring the stock differently than the last shot, or if my eye is the same distance from the eyepiece.
I found once that I had moved my thumb into a different position and caused the POI to drop and move left, turning a good group into a mediocre one.

It isn't automatic, you have to work at it a bit.
But finding out what works best for you and then doing it every time the same way will really make shooting more fun, and it becomes second nature with all your rifles.

JustJake

^^^^^^ ... Sounds like a lotta work just to shoot a rimfire.

Or ol' Joe could've just bought hisself a CZ 512 and, right otta da box, been shooting groups HALF that size with the same "standard"/non-Match .22 ammo. :cool:

Joe_Pike

Or ol' Joe could've just bought hisself a CZ 512 and, right otta da box, been shooting groups HALF that size with the same "standard"/non-Match .22 ammo.

I thought about getting a CZ 457, but where's the fun in buying a "one-hole" gun? Now the challenge is trying to overcome my inadequacies AND the gun's.:D I probably never will, but the occasional good group will seem that much sweeter.

JustJake

I thought about getting a CZ 457, but where's the fun in buying a "one-hole" gun? Now the challenge is trying to overcome my inadequacies AND the gun's. I probably never will, but the occasional good group will seem that much sweeter.
Your groups in those pics weren't horrible, but yeah, they were't "CZ tight" either. :D

10/22s can be accurized to an amazing level, it just takes a lot of $$$ to get them there, or at least more than I'd be willing to spend.

Joe_Pike

10/22s can be accurized to an amazing level, it just takes a lot of $$$ to get them there, or at least more than I'd be willing to spend.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole either. At some point I may look into buying a Savage MK II FV-SR. They are cheap and look like they may be fun, but I'll need to sell something first.