North to Alaska!

taylorce1

3 Days and counting! Heading to the Petersburg area for some black bear hunting on Saturday. Hope this will be the first of many adventures in AK. If I have any luck I'll be sure to post some pictures of my experience.

Csspecs

And from every nature show I have ever seen bug spray and a bee keepers hat (can't think of what they are called).

taylorce1

Wildalaska, I got the good stuff so I'm told for rain gear. I splurged and bought HH Impertech, was told by several of the residents of your State that this stuff was the best.

Thanks everyone for the send off, I'll be happy just to be there.

CarbineCaleb

I'll second WildAlaska's caution about clothing, especially if you camp out. I backpacked for 3 weeks in Alaska one summer years ago (Glacier Bay, Denali and Wrangell St Elias, 1 week each). It rained every day but one, and the average daytime highs (in late July and early August) were in the high 40's and low 50s, and we even got some snow (better than cold rain).

We were fine, but we had GoreTex and poly fleece underneath to keep us reasonably warm and dry for the trip. The weather sucked, but it was beautiful up there! We saw many large critters, up close and personal as well.

taylorce1

Hey guys, not back to post a report yet but wanted you to know how the first two days went.

Me on the first day!
59540045.jpg

My friend on the second day!
59540081.jpg

taylorce1

The Contender used by my friend was a .358JDJ and he took his bear @ 205 yards. I was very impressed with the performance of his handgun. My friend lives just south of Rochester NY.