"NORMA Re" Headstamp

shredder4286

Howdy all,

I picked up a bag of norma 30-06 brass at a gun show this weekend. Out of the 55 pieces, 25 were stamped "norma", and 30 were stamped "NORMA Re". Can anyone tell me the difference? The "Re" makes me think "Re-furbished" or something along those lines. Hopefully I didn't get 1/2 a bag of crappy brass. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF80023.jpg
    DSCF80023.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 66

44 AMP

Staff
I've still got a box of Norma Re .308 from the 70s!

Norma Re means Norma brass made and sold for RE loading. Norma loaded ammo just says "Norma" on the case head.

Its always been good brass in my house.

Paul B.

I don't nomally buy Norma bras anymore but when I as loading my 6.5x54 MS. even factory ammo had the Re on he headstamp. Years later when I bought a Ruger #1B in .257 Robt, 100 rounds of Norma factory ammo came with the gun and it too had the Re on th eheadstamp. It just means the brass is reloadable after you've fired whatever load you had in the brass. :cool:
Paul B.

shredder4286

It just means the brass is reloadable after you've fired whatever load you had in the brass

So, at some point, there were brass cases that were not okay to reload? (Maybe designed to only withstand 1 firing?) Weird. Either way, thanks for the info. :D

FrankenMauser

So, at some point, there were brass cases that were not okay to reload? (Maybe designed to only withstand 1 firing?)

No. No. No. It was nothing like that.

Norma used to produce both Berdan and Boxer brass. The boxer brass included the "Re" in the head stamp, to signify it's suitability for reloading.

b money

I pretty sure Norma is a European company so at some point they probably made non-reloadable(yes I know it can be but that's another story altogether) berdan primed brass.