Norinco's any good

Dfariswheel

The Norinco shotguns have been imported under a variety of brand names, including Norinco, Interstate Arms, Brolin, Hawk, and I think a "New England Arms"??.

They fall into two main types: A very close copy of the Remington 870, and the Ithaca Model 37.
The Norinco copy of the old Winchester Model 1897 is a different issue, more related to Cowboy shooting.

The past imports of the Ithaca 37 copies were POOR quality. They were extremely rough inside, with suspect steels and heat treating.
About the best that could be said of them was that they always went "BOOM" when you pulled the trigger.

At one time, major distributors were selling these Model 37 copies for as little as $80.00, dealer price.

More recent imports seem to have improved in quality.

The Norinco Remington 870 copy is another story.
They certainly are not up to American standards of fit and finish, and are somewhat rough inside.

However, they are all steel, including the trigger guard assembly, and most owners say they make excellent guns, just not up to Remington's quality, even of their "budget" model, the Express.

Most owners are pleased with the guns performance, and say they make good, cheap knock-around, farm, truck, and home defense guns.

At least "some" parts and accessories made for the Remington 870 will fit the Norinco, but NOT barrels.

Magazine extenders are a problem, since the Norinco design places the barrel support ring farther forward on the barrel, to allow the gun to hold one extra round in the magazine.

Most magazine extenders will be either shorter than the barrel, or too long, due to the different barrel system.

Mannlicher

we can dislike the Commies for a number of things, but their ability to make functional firearms is not one of them. Their guns might not be collector grade pretty, but they work just fine.

David Berkowitz

You didn't specify which model.
I have the 97 clone, use it for cowboy action shooting, and the beat the bejeebers out of it.
It is holding up quite well and I think it was an outstanding dollar for dollar value. As good as the original- no. But for what I paid in proportion to what I got, I'm happy.
The early productions runs did have problems. Mine is one of the later versions
I do have to disagree on the service. Mine came with a small chip in the stock. They sent me an entirely new one, no questions asked. They didn't even want to see the old to verify. I did it through the dealer, so maybe that helped.

BobK

+1 on Dfariswheels post. The Norinco/Hawk 12 guages are copies of the 870. Most parts are interchangeable except the barrel. Most defensive shotguns only get fired once in a while so they will last. Fit and finish just isn't as good. But they are a good value. If you look you might be able to find a good used 870 or similar. Found a slightly used 870 at a pawn shop for $150.00 a while back.